Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post subject: idle on choke issues
 Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:05 am 
Hornet Pilot

Hello folks.

I've had a search but don't seem to be able to find anyone with the same problem as me - lots similar but not the same.

I've had issues with my choke on my 98 600 for a while now in that when cold, and with choke on, the bike with cut out as soon as any throttle is applied. I've lived with this as once it's revved it's arse off for 5 mins or so it's fine to go.

Since yesterday it's been slightly different in that when on choke it revs normal for about 30 second or so then starts to "choke" itself almost sounding like its only running on 3 cylinders - I've checked the down pipes and they are all hot so not this. Then after a little running sounding terrible it dies, unless it's managed to get warm enough to rev with no choke - in which case it runs smooth as always.

I'm gonna whip off the tank this weekend and check the choke routing in case something is stuck and also check the plugs (but if working ok off choke i can't see this being the issue) and also might check the carb sync see how that's doing.

Any other things to look at folks?

thanks
James

Post subject: Re: idle on choke issues
 Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:16 am 
Gunner Graham

millwallfcuk wrote:
Since yesterday it's been slightly different in that when on choke it revs normal for about 30 second or so then starts to "choke" itself almost sounding like its only running on 3 cylinders

sounds normal to me! does it continue to idle if you reduce the choke?

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:21 am 
Jesus ! Get a life !

Do you think you're getting a little paranoid about it? :) What I mean is, everything you're describing is what mine does until it's warm, blip the throttle just after starting and it cuts straight out.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:09 am 
Hornet Pilot

Steve - no, it has been cutting out if coming off the choke too soon.

I know reading it back it does sound pretty normal, but I used to be able to start up with full choke and ride of reducing it when needed - now I'm stood waiting for what seems like an age making the whole idea of using it to commute instead of the car a bit slow!

Plus - my triumph runs fine on the choke also without cutting if revved?

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:19 am 
Jesus ! Get a life !

Yes, fair enough, you know when something has changed don't you? Do you think the choke is engaging fully....? Might be worth a look under the tank to see what's what...? Bent slider....? Sorry if you've already done all this :)

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:03 pm 
Gunner Graham

millwallfcuk wrote:
Steve - no, it has been cutting out if coming off the choke too soon.

I know reading it back it does sound pretty normal, but I used to be able to start up with full choke and ride of reducing it when needed - now I'm stood waiting for what seems like an age making the whole idea of using it to commute instead of the car a bit slow!

Plus - my triumph runs fine on the choke also without cutting if revved?

I have never been able to do that!! i use full choke, leave it for 30 secs then choke off.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:42 pm 
Hornet Pilot

interesting...

cheers for the comments folks.

ps - yeh, my rock n roll Friday night will be having a look at the choke routing and slider.

:mic

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:06 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Sounds about normal to me. Never been able to ride mine while on choke, any throttle kills it, I take it off choke after about 30 sec's anyway. Could ride my 400 on choke but it didn't like it.

I'd say checking the carb sync and idle screw should see you right, check air filter while your there. Cleaned, balanced and checked idle screw setting on mine as it was running a bit rough. Smoothed the bike out (even when starting with choke, amazing) but revs started to surge slightly after coming off the motorway to an idle. Recently did valve adjustments which put the carbs out of balance (still had the surging annoyance). Balanced the carbs again but I've now lost tthe smooth choke idle and now hangs a tiny bit low when I come off motorway, needle doesn't bounce and it idles smoothly, it just hangs low and slowly climbs to my normal idle rpm over about a minute. I think the problem is I'm too much of a perfectionist, maybe I should go see a GP.

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat