Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Noticeboard » Introductions

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:12 am 

Hello, took delivery on Sat 18th.

Just passed through direct access a couple of weeks ago. Never ridden apart from a handful of times on friends rides, down tracks in my teens (I'm 41 now).
The list of bikes I've ridden...Van Van 125, Bandit 600 '04 at the riding school, YBR 125 and now the Hornet.

I really have zero experience apart from the lessons, the bike I rode the most was the schools Bandit, hardly rode my YBR at all, and after being on the Bandit I didnt enjoy the YBR at all... felt unsafe...I guess thats common?
So after really wanting a Bandit (the schools was a mint yellow '04) from the time I had on it, I decided on getting a Hornet after reading reviews and others opinions, that it was the better to grow on as I learn how to ride.
Im sure its me, but it doesnt feel as obvious to ride as the Bandit, that seemed easier. I think I read somewhere about how they should be ridden, and that doesnt match my current style. Im bumbling around really, going steady and sometimes letting myself pull back on the throttle on a deserted chacked for traffic 4 times stretch of road.
I like it though, starting to see an improvement, aiming to be smoother.
To me though, it just seems so effin fast. Sure Ill get used to it, but im hoping not for while yet.

Its been well used, but seems in good shape. My mechanical skills aren't up to much, but I'm hoping to improve and learn with this bike. Plenty on dirt/corrosion on pipes and behind goin up to the strut across the forks. So that's my first task, cleaning the best I can and making it pretty. Hoping not to find anything lurking underneath.

Ill post some pics of the grubby bits, would be good to get others opinions on how to shift it all, and hopefully get it looking its best.

Thanks for reading....

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 am 
Needs to get out more!

Hello and welcome :D

Great choice of bike! :angel

The Hornet is a very 'user friendly' and confidence inspiring bike - most riders will feel instantly at home on it regardless of experience - which makes it an excellent bike to hone your riding skills on - but the real beauty of the Hornet is that you will not grow bored/tired of it as your experience and skills develop - I've been riding for a fair few years and have owned various bikes in that time but I still love riding the Hornet which is why although various bikes have come and gone over my biking career I have never sold my Hornet :D

I used to have an oil cooled 95 Bandit 600 - it was an excellent bike - but I was amazed at how much better my 98 Hornet was than the Bandit - the Hornet was so much lighter, with much sharper handling and feedback and much better acceleration/power - plus it was better looking :D

So in a nutshell - I think that you willl really like the Hornet :angel

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Welcome in a2heb like Hoon has already said you'l love the bike :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:38 pm 

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Should be goin out to the garage later to tackle the pipes!

Checked out the forum for exhaust cleaning tips, and ordered a few bits that will hopefully help. Spent about 20mins out there the other night, with some Autosol and elbow grease, finally broke through and found some shiny stuff.

Board index » Noticeboard » Introductions