Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner

Post Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:25 am 
Hornet Warrior

For those who do not have a fixed phone line or wish to have mobile internet access...

T-Mobile have some good deals at the moment for mobile broadband if you live in a good reception area.

You can pay up front for a 3 month or 1 year package that includes the USB modem and 'unlimited' internet access for that time
After the 3 or 12 months is up, you pay £2 a day (only charged on the day you use it) via pay and go top up - same as a regular mobile phone

There is no contract or minimum period. Annoyingly, T-Mobile have a 'feature' called 'Content Lock' which blocks unquestionable sites by default until you register and prove your age. To prove your age they will only accept credit card details or ID at a local T-Mobile shop. 'Content Lock' also locks you out of messenger clients like Hotmail or Yahoo and is a bit to overzealous as it kicks in as soon as you go on to forums such as this one. 'Content Lock' will be the first thing you will want to have taken off unless children have access.

As is always the case in the UK, most ISP's claim 'Unlimited Internet Access' then in the small print have something about 'Fair Use'
In the case of T-Mobile this turns out to be 2Gb within a month (so no downloading from torrent sites then!) but after you hit 2Gb they cap the speed to about 64Kbps which in real terms means about 25-45Kbps and you will only be allowed to browse or use webmail (no possibility to upload) during the hours of 4PM to Midnight. Outside of that time period, its business as usual with 1Mb+ speeds possible so it is not such a problem
At the start of the new month the quota is reset!

The worst thing though is that when connected, any pictures you view online will appear pixellated as though you have a computer only capable of 256 colours. Absolutely useless on eBay!!!

I found out that it is widespread practice with mobile broadband (which is mainly for the Blackberry / iPhone crowd) for images to be compressed.
There is a solution here for Mac or PC users provided you are running the Firefox web browser (via a plug-in)

http://webdesign.phototropic.co.uk/note ... -on-a-mac/

This also applies to Windows (I have tested it myself) - look for the section: 'Modify Headers' and follow the instructions

When done, the internet appears exactly as it was intended...

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:32 pm 

Oh thank you for letting me know!

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner