Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner

Post subject: Any Blackberry Users?
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:31 pm 
Needs to get out more!

I am in the middle of sorting out the mobiles at work - and we are considering Blackberry's to replace the Nokia E series handsets for mobile email/contacts/calendar etc. while on the move.

Having tested one for a few weeks, they seem good enough - however has anyone been using them for any length of time and know of any issues etc. with them? We will be running our own Blackberry Express server if that helps.

The Nokia E72 seems a better handset, however the "Blackberry" status symbol seems to hit the right notes with management. :angel

Opinions etc., all appreciated.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 pm 
Hornet Warrior

We use HTC / Palm Pro (so HTC 8o ) and iPhone, our infrastructure is MS AD and Exchange (Finally on exchange 2007 woop woop! :D )!
We looked at using Blackberry but decided against it due to the additional overheads of a secondary server to handle email (Or even using the hack) didn't seem like the best idea when considering TCO simply because iPhone (which the chiefs like) and windows mobile devices fit our security criteria (remote wipe / auto wipe after failed authentication and the soon to be deployed Encrypted when used as a remote media device).

However I know someone who does have one in their infrastructure so will prod them for info and post back if I can!

:D

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:44 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Thanks for the replay - much appreciated. :thumbup

We're on MS Exchange, and currently using Nokia E Series with the Nokia "Mail For Exchange" application which works seamlessly.

I'm not convinced about Blackberry - however the carriers are pulling out all the stops to get our business.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:44 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Hi I have been using my Blackberry 9700 bold for nearly a year for work and "home use". Plus points are:- awesome for e-mail and texting, I can type them lightning fast once I got used to it, not bad for internet, can use a version of excel and word and pp on it too, excellent calendar although not as good as iphone calendar, good camera for both still and video. Battery is awesome, I use my Blackberry a lot and it will go 3 or 4 days on a charge. I run a small company and use it for work a lot.

I had an iphone prior to it, the iphone was better for calendar / appointments and syncing, Iphone better at internet and lots lots more apps to download for iphone. Iphone is pants on a battery in comparison, it used to need charging nearly everyday.

Look at it as iphone is more web based and fun things, Iphone is better as a ipod too Blackberry is more serious for text, words, e-mail.

I hope this helps.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:19 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 pm 
Jesus ! Get a life !

Nothing too specific, but my son and daughter (both grown up and working) and our other 14 yr old daughter all have Blackberries, use them heavily and often clumsily (!!) and they all think they are brilliant.

And if you want to know all about new technology, let's face it, you ask a 14 year old!! :D :D :D

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:44 am 
Can not be arsed !

ive had nothing but bb for a number of years now love em!. i assume you will go with the bb enterprise server? its amazing what you can do with that!
self syncing with outlook
push e mail
bb messenger etc,etc
look out for bb torch with the new 6.0 o.s

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:32 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Cheers guys.

Decision made and deal done. Blackberry Enterprise server with a combination of Bold 9700's and Pearl 3G's. Have ordered a Torch to demo as well. :angel

It's a shame, the Nokia E series has served us well and does exactly what we want. The new models however proved to look and feel outdated, and on top of that the software was almost a step backwards in terms of reliability.

Never mind. New Toys!

Lee Evans on "Gadgets" <- NOT SAFE FOR WORK!

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner