Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm 
Hornet Lord

I started my new internet connection with the Utility Warehouse last month using a wireless router supplied by a friend since I was only supplied with a non wireless router. I set up the connection per the instructions provided with no bother but my friend needed her router back. I can't set up another connection and can't find my instructions.

When I connect the patch cable i get a message saying that there is an ip conflict but when i try and set up the connection through the connection wizard it can't see the internet.

I can connect to the router fine which is a netgear DGN1000SP.

Help

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:21 pm 
Hornet Warrior

If you've a hard-wired LAN connection, you should just be able to plug in and go.

Best thing to do is remove all modem/router software on your laptop. Then plug in the router/LAN and install the software for that particular router/modem.

If you're stuck, I've a spare wireless router you can have. It's a Netgear WGR614 V4. Nothing special. Not got the software but I can download the drivers and chuck them on a USB stick.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:53 pm 
Hornet Pilot

What operating system are you using - if Windows, which version? I assume you've tried re-booting your computer? What's on the other end of the patch cable? Something supplied by Utility Warehouse?

It sounds like you may have a statically set IP address on your computer - it may be worth setting it to DHCP and seeing if your computer will pick up an IP address from whatever box is on the other end. Searching Google for "set dhcp windows 7" (or whatever operating system) should put you on the right lines.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:24 pm 
Hornet Lord

It seems this is yet another subject on which I can add to the very long list of stuff I know sweet fa on. I'm not sure I wanted a LAN connection but remembered that the instructions said to connect the modem to the laptop via the patch cable to set up the internet initially. The laptop can connect to the router wirelessly but not to the internet so I don't think the router is the problem as i get the same result if i try using the non wireless modem supplied by my isp.

I've a vague feeling that this maymbe something todo with how the ex set up the t'interweb as we'd a lan network in the old old house where there was a fixed ip. I think.

I'm on vista. I'll search for the dchp thing when i can use the work internet thing tomorrow.

Ps i tried doing an ipconfig/renew release command promot thing butmit wouldn't do it. Said something about it not being possible when media was disconnected.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:45 pm 
Hornet Pilot

hmm. If its saying media disconnected then it may not be the DHCP thing. If you do a "ipconfig /all" in the command prompt then as well as listing masses of useless info it will tell you if you've got DHCP enabled or not on the adaptor you're using. Other easy things to try are turning off the power to the modem for 2 minutes and swapping the patch cable (if you've got another one).

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Quote:
can't see the internet.

I can connect to the router

If you are getting ip conflicts then it most probably a static ip / DHCP config error

if you can't see the internet but can connect to the router then possibly your username and password for your isp is not set in the router.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:08 am 
Hornet Warrior

From our conversation last night, I would say there may be a fault on your BT line or the DSL filter is duff. It may be worth whipping the cover off the master socket and checking the wires are connected properly.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:44 pm 
The Pensioner

If you're not already sorted, try turning off the WiFi on your phone. Then turn off the router and pc and on turn them on again.

My wireless router at work, can't handle the pc and the Blackberry. No problems at home though.

Plus over 47,000 on the Pan European ( ST1300A4 )
Which does exactly what it says on the tin!
The greater the power, the greater the grin! :D

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I would say i know practically nothing about computers, but i could 'connect' through LAN ethernet, but i couldn't used the t'internet.

run>cmd>ipconfig /all displayed no IP addresses or information, but i could connect through wireless. When trying to 'repair' it said it couldn't as i failed something to do with TCP/IP settings

a friend of mine told me to reset all the IP settings though

run
cmd
netsh int ip reset all

then restarted the computer. back online. Your problem may not be the same, so this might not be correct advice.

Best-o-luck
John

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner