Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:14 am 
Hornet Warrior

Hi folks,

Having some issues with my computer, it was working fine on sunday morning a bit of routine photoshopping etc etc, didn't install any new software.

later on that day, i attempted to turn it on again, the fans start up as normal, it whirrs for a bit, but instead of the computer coming to life it just shut down again!

The weirdest bit is that if i leave it connected to the power, it keeps cycling through the bit i wrote above, over and over again! so to get it to stop i've had to pull out the mains cable.

I've pulled out and re-inserted the graphics card and RAM, tried starting it without being connected to the card reader, DVD drive, spare hard drive, but to no avail.

I'm thinking that the 'on' switch is locked open (hence it keeps trying to boot up then forcing shut down), but i'd be stupid not to ask if anyone else has any ideas!

Your suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks
John

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am 
Hornet Warrior

have you tried starting in "safe mode". when you start up press "esc" straight away. (i usually keep tapping it) a menu should come up with the option to start in safe mode. in safe mode mode you can run virus software, system diagnostics etc. also if "esc" doesn't give this option try "f8". Alternatively do you have recovery discs. i had a similsr problem with a previous laptop which would start from the discs i made when new. good luck.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 pm 
Hornet Warrior

i'll give it a go, but i don't even get any visual output from the machine before it cuts off. I have no recovery discs unfortunately.

Cheers
John

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:35 am 
Hornet Warrior

although i would imagine no-one is particularly interested, i thought i round off the thread!

as it turns out, something in the PCIe slot done gone and got broke, don't know what. It appeared that upon replacing the graphics card with a much older one, running on x1, it could boot up, but refused to accept x16 with my newer one.

by pure coincidence, i know someone who knows someone who was chucking a model of similar age (marginally better processor) out, so i nabbed it.

after a few teething troubles (missing drivers, network adapters, couple of blue screens and some pieces of software using 'computer language' to say WHAT THE F**K WHAT THE F**K WHAT THE F**K WHAT THE F**K ) it seem to run.

Still need to iron a few things out (blue screens occur infrequently), but it seemed to be the PCI slot interface that went bust, weird. So my hard drive, graphics card and a few bits of my RAM live to fight another day!

Jonboy :)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:48 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Probably a blown capacitor on the motherboard - Good thing with desktop/tower PC's is you can swap bits over relatively easily. :thumbup

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:07 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Quote:
swap bits over relatively easily

indeed, although the PC they are now in, is in considerably poorer aesthetic condition! Beggers can't be choosers :)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:42 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Incredidibly late i know but......

Its looking to be your power supply. By swopping your card for an older one, it's needed less voltage/amps to start. Replace as soon as. Can you borrow one from a friend to test? Try not to use it too much, if the PSU dies, it can take the rest of your pc with it!!

Go here [link2]http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp[/link2] fill in the boxes and then go to [link2]http://www.scan.co.uk/[/link2].

Do not buy the cheapest one, it's false economy and won't last. Spend what you can afford, but make sure it's a quality one as it will have enough amps on the 12v rail for your card.

All the best.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:03 am 
Hornet Warrior

Thanks for the advice, i tried swapping out the power supply, but no joy.

No blue-screens-of-death last night though, so the new setup appears to be running!

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner