Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner

Post subject: What tv to get !!
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:10 pm 
Hornet GOD!

we are looking at getting a new tv in the next couple of months,but with so many to choose from,we are a bit stuck

our price range is about £500 ish
we are looking for a 42" with full hd 1080p but cant decided on plasma,led or lcd ???

we mainly watch fast action movies and motorsport.

we have been told that the best option would be a plasma as there is less motion blur and pixelating 8o

also looking at either a LG or samsung

as its a lot of money we dont want to make the wrong choice,can any of you give me some pointers or advice please

thank you

Post subject: Re: What tv to get !!
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:48 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I appreciate technology is developing all the time..... but i would steer away from the plasma, as i am aware they can have issues with image burn on the screen (they leave a burnt image on the screen if you left it on pause for a while say.... which cannot be removed) plus depending on type, usage etc etc.... you may need to regas the plasma within 5 years (expensive)

LED's are the newer technology offering thinner screens and brighter images...... but LCD shouldn't be discounted...

see here.... http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/led-vs-lcd.html

Out of the 2 brands you have mentioned.... I opted for the Samsung as it is one of the few manufacturers that automatically upscale the quality of the image to near HD quality even for standard definition images...

Everyone will have their own views on TV's..... and for all their own personal reasons... but what I would say is to also consider the contrast ratio (this is what gives you good solid blacks and depth of colours.

If you don't mind signing up to the 'Which' online magazine (think they do it free for 3 months) then they can give you comparisons between all sets dependent on type, manufacturer, price range, etc etc

Hope this helps...

.... Oh...and a 5.3lt V8 Chevy Truck !!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 am 
Hornet Warrior

It's only a personal preference but before you buy a Samsung make sure you are happy with the standard sound from the speakers, all the samsungs I've heard have crap sound quality unless you use an external system of some sort. As said before Plasma gives a better picture but issues with plasma screens in the past has given them a reputation for short life. Not sure if modern plasmas are just as affected?

My personal pref is for Panasonic, but that's just what i like. I think john Lewis still offer the 5 year warranty on all their sets so for piece of mind I would give them a look.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:05 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Bilbo919 wrote:
.................................. I think john Lewis still offer the 5 year warranty on all their sets so for piece of mind I would give them a look.

That's where we got ours too....... complete with 5 yr guarantee ....

....I do agree with comment about sound....whilst its not the best..... I do have mine linked up to my kenwood system (and Yamaha subwoofer) which gives it terrific oomph... !!

.... Oh...and a 5.3lt V8 Chevy Truck !!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:29 pm 

Definitely Panasonic or Sammy in my mind - nothing wrong with Plasma tho - out-performs LCD in many cases and I have been running a 37" Panny plasma with no probs !

Latest and best tech is LED but it is more expensive, but you should get a good deal (check Richer Sounds Stockport and the obvious big stores - as noted up above there are some 5 yr warranties on some Pannys - Richer do a 5 year for just 10% of PurchPrice which is also good value)

I reckon you'll get a 42" LED Panny for about £5-600 but would have to go for a LCD Sammy in that price range

I bought What HiFi Sopund & Vision and looked on their web pages : http://www.whathifi.com/

Happy hunting !

08 Hornet 600 09 CB1000R

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:50 pm 
Hornet GOD!

thanks for the much need info and advise :clap
il shop around nearer the time and hopefully will get the tv that suits us best :)
my shortlist at the moment is

samsung or LG
42 - 46"
led
1080p
full hd

this me be a bit of wishful thinking 8o on the price range as we dont really want to go over the top etc.
again thanks guys
and im open to more advise etc.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:29 pm 
Needs to get out more!

If you get a Samsung - make sure it's from John Lewis with the extended warranty.

My 47" Samsung LCD which cost me a few thousand a few years ago packed up 13 days after the 12 month guarantee expired (Christmas morning to be exact). Samsung did not give a toss, and would not even send out an engineer at my expense. They were downright rude on the telephone. After finding out what the problem was I called a servce centre to buy the part myself, and was told I could not buy it from them as I was not a registered Samsung engineer.
A bit more examination proved it to be cheap capacitors on the IP board - which I replaced and got the TV working again. 2 years on, the TV is now making more strange buzzing noises.

While I like Samsung kit - their service with this, and another problem with a dead digital photo frame was nothing but disgusting considering how much I'd spent.

Should my Samsung pack up again, unless it's a quick/cheap fix I'll never buy another.

Just my experience of their kit. Great when it's working. You're on your own if it fails.

If you like your sound - consider either a cheap surround sound setup, or a sound bar. Flat screen's have speakers no better than a mobile phone and produce terrible sound compared to their CRT ancestors.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:36 pm 
Hornet GOD!

cheerrs horness :angel you have just chucked a spanner in my works but in a grateful way :D

jesus H christ !!!! i never thought that getting a new tv would throw up all sorts of issues / dilemas

at this rate il be keeping the antique box that we have ( nowt wrong with it :angel ) and then spend the cash on sumert worth while ?? 8o

il pop over to the local john lewis in the week , just to explore what they have available :)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:24 pm 

I'd pop into Richer Sounds too in Stockport - not always the cheapest but you get a good idea of what's out there in your price range (normally cheaper than Currys / Comet etc) - had the Panasonic 3 1/2 years (actually bought from Comet) and it's great !

If you get Freeview HD (or can get Sky) it's a great viewing experience in HD - well recommended !

08 Hornet 600 09 CB1000R

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:55 pm 
Needs to get out more!

If it were me, I'd go for the UE40D5520 and save up for the sound bar if I did not have enough room for a 5.1 surround setup in the lounge.

Samsung UE40D5003B LED HD 1080p TV, 40 Inch with Built-in Freeview - £399

Samsung UE40D5520 LED HD 1080p TV, 40 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD - £479

Samsung HW-D450 Home Cinema Sound Bar Air-track with Wireless Subwoofer - £249

Board index » The Lighter Side » Geeks Corner