Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:04 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Used bike prices* seem to be quite high at the moment - there seem to be a lot less used bargains out there than five or six years ago and some quite fruity prices for even 14 year old, fairly average condition, high mileage machines.

I'm guessing this is related to relatively weak sales for brand new bikes (due to the sluggish economy over the past five years) which has strengthened the used market?

I got this quote from the 'wisebuyers guide':

''In recent weeks we have heard several remarkable stories of big profits being made on quite poor condition older bikes. These make a mockery of the margins achievable on new bike sales and serve to remind us why the used market is so important. We wish you all the very best for 2015 and look forward to a positive future for the whole two wheel market.''

This will presumably have also pushed up the margin on privately sold bikes - as private sellers will be valuing their bikes based on what they see dealers charging for used machines?

*I'm only looking at litre sportsbikes - so not sure about the rest of the market.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:42 pm 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

A good proportion of bikes are still wrapped up in sheds and garages waiting for the spring/summer to appear. This means that supply is limited slightly which in turn pushes up prices a little. Some buyers fail to take into account condition and will pay a few hundred pounds less for a higher miles and poorer condition bike, Just because it's cheaper when in reality the less miles and better condition bike will be the better buy.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 pm 
Johnny English

I have also noticed this used bike price increase, having bought and sold bikes over the last 35 years , whether its , winter or summer.

For example , Fireblade 2001 RRY , 12k miles , I sold for £2200 10 years ago , now I see them for at least this price with far higher miles
Oh I wish I kept that bike :Bang :Bang :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

I always keep my eye out for used bikes , and I have not seen any " reasonable priced" bikes for sale for many years.

is it the high new prices demanded now , lack of new sales ? and as you say , pushing up used bike sales, I would go with this.

Anyone selling a bike knows selling in winter is not the time to get your best price really, and wait till spring summer to sell.

I think the days of a bargain used bike are long gone, and with the state of the future economy its not going to get any better.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:13 pm 
Needs to get out more!

woodyeee wrote:
A good proportion of bikes are still wrapped up in sheds and garages waiting for the spring/summer to appear. This means that supply is limited slightly which in turn pushes up prices a little. Some buyers fail to take into account condition and will pay a few hundred pounds less for a higher miles and poorer condition bike, Just because it's cheaper when in reality the less miles and better condition bike will be the better buy.

Yeah - good point about the spring/summer - supply does seem to be quite limited at the moment - I've seen the same small number of (overpriced in my opinion) bikes hanging around on autotrader and gumtree for weeks

paulh0rnet wrote:
I have also noticed this used bike price increase, having bought and sold bikes over the last 35 years , whether its , winter or summer.

For example , Fireblade 2001 RRY , 12k miles , I sold for £2200 10 years ago , now I see them for at least this price with far higher miles
Oh I wish I kept that bike :Bang :Bang :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Funnily enough I've been checking out Blade 929s this week - and you are absolutely right - dealers are advertising 40k miles 929's for as much as 2.5 grand - and private prices are not that far behind - although if you look long and hard enough the odd private bargain does still come up - trouble is they are usually about 200 miles away . . . :Bang

It was a completely different story in the late 90's and early noughties - credit was easy and the Japanese seemed to be bringing out a lighter, more powerful sportsbike every twelve months - and flush punters were only too happy to chop in their year old machines just to get their leg over the latest Blade, R1 etc - hence the glut of used bikes on the market and the bargains that could be had back then.

Definitely not a buyers market at the moment dammit! :Bang

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:32 pm 
Knob Magnet

Haha, make your own :angel

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:48 am 
Needs to get out more!

370steve wrote:
Haha, make your own :angel

lol :angel

I was thinking of buying a Cat D salvage job from an auction site and restoring it - but at the lower end of the market (e.g. 8 years and older sportsbikes) the economics didn't seem to work out - by the time you paid the auction fee/bike transportation and replaced the bent forks/bodywork etc you wouldn't be far off the cost of a decent uncrashed equivalent.

It did seem that you could save proper money on relatively new, high value bikes that insurance companies had written off for silly minor stuff - like scuffed fairngs and exhaust cans resulting from very low speed offs which just required some plastic repair, a respray and an after market can to put right.

I saw a 2/3 year old Cat D BMW (one of the larger sports tourers) with hardly any damage go at auction for at least 2/3 grand under market price.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:18 pm 
Victor Meldrew

There seems to be a feeding frenzy on Ebay for anything from the '70's, air cooled and wire wheels, both for complete bikes and for parts, no matter how tatty or rusty. Very little around for less than a grand, with several buyers chasing every part that comes up.

Early Hornets seem to be cheap as chips these days, going for less money than ER5s or CB500s.

I like to read Neil Murray ( The Older Gentleman, for folks with long memories, back in the days of dial up internet ) used bike column in MCN, although for a chap supposedly on our side he does rather brag about all the bargains he's scored.

For newer bikes, I'd have thought the recent increase in folks buying on the never never, sorry PCP, would have flooded the market with three year old bikes.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:17 am 
Needs to get out more!

Right - I didn't realise the classic market was so buoyant - I guess a lot of this is to do with the internet - the ability to track down older bikes, get hold of obscure parts, technical information and tools is so much easier now than it was pre-internet 20 odd years ago.

Yeah - I remember Neil Murray from 'Bike' magazine - when he had the monthly column on market conditions, buying tips and bargains.

Regarding the Hornet - I would be more than happy to snap up another MK1/MK2 Hornet at a low price - but then I am biased :D

Perhaps the increase in three year old bikes on the used market you mention might have an effect in nudging down prices at the lower end of the market. :Pray

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:10 pm 
Hornet Lord

Funnily enough I was just reading an article in last Septembers' PB about a related issue - the decline of the 600.

They reckon the market is crammed with good nearly new 600's, and as demanded in general for new bikes had waned the manufacturers weren't developing them (the 600's that is), so no real incentive to buy this year's new model - a death spiral.
So newish used 600's will start to dry up but for now there is a glut of them - maybe time to snap up a good one?

A main reason for the decline of sports 600's is that they were becoming more & more race focused, whilst their middle aged riders are becoming less so. Being older they could afford to buy & insurance the litre bikes, which are easier to ride fast and just not as hard work to keep in the power.
Next is the development of electronic rider aids to help control the litre bikes, which makes them a more realistic option to a wider range of riders. A new litre bike with traction control and all the rest of the new goodies could actually make the bike safer to ride than a 600 sport.

So I think the younger generation are not so interested in bikes.
Our generation is moving towards litre bikes which has the effect of devaluing the 600 sport bikes (both new & used) and increasing the demand on the litre bike market. This market has seen increases in new bikes sales but it'll take a while for these bikes to make there way down the used bike scales, especially into the sub £5k arena (where most of us hunt).

So basically I expect this trend to be short lived.
In years to come those ultra flashy new litre bikes will be at the more affordable end of the used market and will put pressure on the old school litre bikes to some extent.

Last edited by knee_jerk on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:44 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Thanks Knee-Jerk - some really interesting info there :D

It should be worth lookingt at the 600s then - I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at a Kawasaki zx636.

Regarding market demographics - I see a lot 16/17 year olds riding scooters these days because it's so expensive for young people to insure a car - perhaps they will develop a taste for two wheels and graduate onto motorcycles and inject new life into an increasingly middle aged market?

The current demography is a bit like the late 80's -youngsters just getting onto the road were ignoring bikes in favour of cheap hatchbacks depriving the motorcycle market of new blood - and the mid-80's licence restrictions didn't help by killing off the sexy 250 market (in favour of the 125) which made bikes even less appealing.

Interesting article on the 250 market here:
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/may/mcn-plus---whatever-happened-to-the-250-generation/

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:53 pm 
Hornet Lord

They actually went on to classify what to get for the money.

£1500
2001 - 2003 GSX-R600 - Good bike and still trackable but maintenence could have slipped as the bike is at the cheaper end.

£2.5k to £3.5k
2003 - 2004 CBR600RR - Fast lap times made easy.

£3k to £4k
2006 - 2007 YZF-R6 - Same as the new bike but for a third of the price.

£4.5k to £6k
2009 - 2012 ZX-6R - Noted for impressive front end handling and power.

£6k plus
2013 onwards Daytona 675
PB say it's the best 600 ever made and they hope it doesn't get scrapped (or dramatically changed) due to euro regs, If it does then the current one could become a collectors bike. They are already holding their used values well.

If I had room in the loft I might be tempted to snap up a couple Daytona's. :angel

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:40 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Cheers Knee Jerk - some good info there.

If you are after a used bike it's definitely worth spending at least a couple of months religiously checking out the market for specific bikes to get an idea of what you should be paying - prices at the lower end of the market can be all over the place taking no account of mileage or condition but based on what the dealer/punter thinks he can get away with - for example I've seen a bog standard Y2K R1 with about 36k on the clock advertised by a dealer at 1400 quid over market value - although it's an extreme example it does underline the need to do your homework before you part with cash.

You could definitely make some money on those Daytonas a few years down the line :D

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:58 pm 
Johnny English

After reading hoons post , could motorcycling be on the decline , my kids all go for cars and wouldn't dream of getting a bike, as do their friends, and if one of their friends does get a bike its like " wow marks got a bike " like its a big thing to do.

In my day we all started with 49cc motorbikes at 16 , the FS1E was the BIG favourite, then we went to 125cc , then passed test as soon as we hit 17 then the big stuff.

Also all the bikers at my work are all middle age or above.

I also know biker forums are on the decline , with some gone forever !!

Are we the last generation of true bikers ???? 8o

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:39 am 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

I think you will find the truth of the matter is its to cold and wet this time of year. If we do get any decent weather for more than a week or two I'm sure the bikers will start to come out in a month or two.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:10 pm 
Needs to get out more!

The figures for new riders can be confusing - apparently there were a lot of new riders in 2012-13 taking their tests to avoid being penalised by proposed licence restrictions on younger riders:

“In 2012 there was a surge in the number of people taking tests prior to the introduction of new European rules that restrict access to bigger bikes for certain age groups (the age was changed from 21-years-old to 24-years-old). This surge was naturally followed by a dip in 2013, but we would expect the numbers to even themselves out over the coming months.”*

Looking at the health of the motorcycle industry as a whole the increasing wealth and industralisation of the BRIC countries - (Brazil, India and China etc) is good news for the future of the industry (and the bikes we like to ride) as there is a growing market in these countries for more expensive, large capacity sports and road bikes - for example there is a very high quality Indian motorcycle show which you can see on youtube which does very good reviews of all the latest high end 600 and litre bikes - same goes for Brazil, China, South east Asia etc - 25 years ago the market for bikes in these countries tended to be limited to smaller capacity machines that people relied on simply to get from A to B - whereas now there is a very healthy leisure/enthusiasts market in these countries - which means that even if performance motorcycling shrinks in it's traditional markets there is still plenty of incentive for motorcycle manufacturers to continue producing larger capacity, performance machines to supply these relatively new and growing markets.

*http://www.adventurebikerider.com/news/1016-whats-to-blame-for-the-recent-decline-in-new-riders.html

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:44 am 
Hornet Lord

Another bif factor in the increase in price of used bikes is all the bikes going to Europe. There was a massive surge of bikes going out of the country as they were selling for much higher prices in the old eastern block countries.
Even a couple of months ago my mate sold his super duke to a polish guy who had three other bikes in the back of the van to take home. After haggling over the price told my mate he would nearly double his money when he sold it.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 am 
Hornet Warrior

Looks it...

A trader (J&S) wants 2500 for a 2001 faired hornet with 27,000 miles on it... by my reckoning mine should be worth 3000 with 12,000 miles on it... utter bollocks :rollin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 am 
Needs to get out more!

Yeah - if you are after a used bike try and get to know the market before you are ready to spend money - then you will have a better idea of what you should be paying rather than some dealer/private sellers idea of the maximum inflated price he can get away with - you would be suprised at the difference in pricing at this end of the market - if you are ignorant you could find yourself paying 2,800 quid for a 40 thousand mile bike and the next day seeing a private mint 14 thousand miler for 800 pounds less.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:04 pm 
Hornet Lord

Someone on reddit was saying that his medium mileage, medium condition gs1200 went for asking price pretty soon after he advertised it.
Apparently most of the callers were European dealers and they flew over and paid in full.
European dealers are taking advantage of the weak Pound.

If thats a sign of things to come, looks like a rough few years for the used bike buyers in the UK.
Aahh well, brought it upon ourselves.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:27 pm 
Needs to get out more!

That's interesting.

The weak pound will favour British exporters but the flip side is that domestic consumers wil be paying more for imported items - so far so predictable - however I would never have imagined that it would also have an impact on a relatively small and niche economic sector like the used UK motorcycle market - but in an online environment where foreign motorcycle dealers can locate and pay for a used UK motorcycle down a fibre optic internet cable it makes perfect sense.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:23 pm 
Hornet Lord

I remember many years ago that Germans were booking all our cheap flights and coming to the UK to fly away on cheap holidays... The real price of globalisation! Lol.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:16 am 
Needs to get out more!

Yeah - but the danger is that the weaker pound will magnify existing economic (and by implication social) problems associated with globalisation - a case in point being foreign investors pricing out UK property buyers - with a now weaker post-Brexit pound many foreign investors are taking advantage of the favourable exchange rates and looking beyond London to buy up property in provincial UK towns.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:45 pm 
Hornet Lord

Tis true... I suppose the next effect from this will be small rise in all bike prices (new & old) to respond to growing demand from abroad, which is the inflation that we've been warned to expect due to the falling pound..

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion