Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 am 
Needs to get out more!

Do you stick to the pressures recommended in the manual or do you adjust pressure depending on the scenario?

For example - on my CBR the manual states the rear tyre should be maintained at 42 psi - but this is obviously a manufacturers 'cover all' pressure recommendation designed to cope with various riding scenarios - from solo, to two up etc and may also have a positive influence on tyre wear rate.

If on the other hand I was planning to attack my favourite set of tight, technical bends on a warm summers day I may try 36 psi on the rear tyre instead for better feedback, grip and overall handling (while maintaining the standard 36 psi at the front).

Obviously close attention to tyre pressures and suspension settings is standard practice for experienced track riders - I'm just wondering if anyone has preferred pressures for their road tyres which differ from the standard tyre pressure recommendation.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:48 pm 
Knob Magnet

two up i use 36/42

but one up road riding is 34/36

if on track/fast road then 32/34 but could go down to 28/32 for fast track.

370Steve

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 pm 
Johnny English

34-36 all round , for me :)

ooo, er Mrs 8o

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 pm 
Needs to get out more!

That's interesting - I'll definitely try the 34/36 combo. Cheers fellas.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:59 am 
Victor Meldrew

Presumably the lower pressures for track use are because the tyres heat up and raise the pressures back up to standard settings after a few laps ?

I run standard 36psi in the front, and somewhere between 38 and 40 in the back, because I never take pillions. That said, I probably wouldn't know the difference if it bit me in the arse. I once rode home with a slow puncture in the back tyre, down to less than 20psi when I got back to base. Took in some fast ( by my standards ) corners on the way, noticed it felt a bit odd, that was all. And my chicken strips had all but scrubbed away. :D

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:27 pm 
Knob Magnet

richard pitman wrote:
Presumably the lower pressures for track use are because the tyres heat up and raise the pressures back up to standard settings after a few laps ?

yes, that is correct Richard, i was once told by a tyre tech, that you need to aim for 35/35 hot, measured straight after a flying lap, if pressure was lower, then add air, if higher let some out, it all depends on

1) riding style
2)track temp
3)tyre carcass rigidity (the more race oriantated a tyre the stiffer the side wall is)
4) compound

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:38 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Quote:
That said, I probably wouldn't know the difference if it bit me in the arse.

Yeah - me too :D - on the public road we encounter such a wide variety of road surfaces and riding conditions that a moderate 'do it all' set up is probably the way to go - but I've got a favourite (albeit rather short) forest side road consisting of a set of tight, technical bends that seriously exposes any shortcomings with the bikes set up and condition - flawed suspension set up, crappy tyres, spongy brakes and my own riding skills (or lack of them) have nowhere to hide here - so it's a good place to experiment and easier to log any improvements in skills and performance.

The whole point of the above is not to 'ride faster' - it's just about improving my riding skills and technical knowledge - if I gain extra speed it will simply be a by-product of these improvements rather than a goal in itself.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion