Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post subject: 2018 Honda CB1000R
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:57 pm 
True Horneteer

I like the look of the bike - the styling is very faithful to the Honda NEO concept bike which was revealed a couple of years ago - apparently the new (650?) Hornet will be styled the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOoJs5G4Zjg

Post subject: Re: 2018 Honda CB1000R
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:52 pm 
Knob Magnet

:puke :puke :puke

370Steve

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:16 pm 
True Horneteer

I get the impression that the new CB1000R is not quite to your taste Steve :angel

I can already guess what Richard thinks of it . . .

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:20 pm 
True Horneteer

MCN geezer likes it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG-Ng7jQpac

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:14 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
I can already guess what Richard thinks of it . . .

:lol

Well, it's not as bad as the current batch of nekkid Yamahas, with their manga styled bodywork and engines that look like accidents in a washing machine factory, pipes and wires all over the place.

On the CB1000R, if they lost the rear number plate thing, the exhaust and the manky headlamp, it actually would look quite decent, IMHO. It does have an air of quality about it.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:46 pm 
Hornet Lord

The only things I didn't like about the 1st shape were the headlight and the clocks.
The exhaust was an acquired taste but that can be changed.

The new one...... it's gonna take a while to grow on me.
I generally not one for modern retro but saying that I am quite fond of the XSR900 & 700

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:32 pm 
True Horneteer

Quote:
Well, it's not as bad as the current batch of nekkid Yamahas, with their manga styled bodywork and engines that look like accidents in a washing machine factory, pipes and wires all over the place.

On the CB1000R, if they lost the rear number plate thing, the exhaust and the manky headlamp, it actually would look quite decent, IMHO. It does have an air of quality about it.

Blimey! :eek :angel

Quote:
The new one...... it's gonna take a while to grow on me.
I generally not one for modern retro but saying that I am quite fond of the XSR900 & 700

I like mixing up the old and the new - I can see a market in the future for original 1960's minis and such like refurbed with electric motors and digital instruments and equipment etc - there is already an electric E-type jag.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:07 am 
Hornet Lord

HOON98 wrote:
Quote:
I can see a market in the future for original 1960's minis and such like refurbed with electric motors and digital instruments and equipment etc - there is already an electric E-type jag.

I do also... but it'll take a while for the back street heroes to adopt electric motors, in fact it might be the start of a new group, as millennial mountain bikers want something a little bit more powerful than their ebikes.

I like naked bikes but the Japs just don't seem to make any nice ones at the moment. If I was after a new naked today it'd probably have to be a Ducati Monster, or maybe the Triumph Triple.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 pm 
True Horneteer

Quote:
I do also... but it'll take a while for the back street heroes to adopt electric motors, in fact it might be the start of a new group, as millennial mountain bikers want something a little bit more powerful than their ebikes.

Yeah - I agree - I'm a petrol head (although I accept the environmental arguments and science which wants to phase petrol combustion out) and I'm counting on petrol bikes being viable in legal and practical terms for another 20 years which is basically when my life/riding career will come to an end assuming I don't die before then - I count myself lucky as having ridden through what I consider the apex of petrol motorcycle development - basically from the late 90's when the Yamaha R1 was launched till now - from an emotional and cultural standpoint I find the idea of electric cars much easier to deal with than electric motorcycles. Bikers of the future (born around now) will have no problem with the idea of electric motorcycles - as the petrol era will represent for them what the steam era represents for us - just old and antiquated technology powered by toxic fossil fuels.

Quote:
I like naked bikes but the Japs just don't seem to make any nice ones at the moment. If I was after a new naked today it'd probably have to be a Ducati Monster, or maybe the Triumph Triple.

Yeah - I've promised myself that I either have to ride or own a Ducati one day - either a Monster or one of the sports bikes - to see what the fuss is about- the only thing that has put me off them was the mechanically fragile, maintenance heavy aura they have about them and the fact that you only tend to see them ridden at weekends in the summer. As machines Japanese bikes seem so much stronger, more reliable and maintenance light in comparison - which for someone who uses their bike as their main transport is why I ride Japanese bikes.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:29 pm 
Hornet Lord

I've been put off Ducatis.

I occasionally ride with a chap who has a 1290 SD and a Ducati Streetfighter, a bike I've wanted since I first saw it.
He told me a piston cracked and it has been waiting for parts for ages. Once running he will sell and never get another Ducati.
This was not welcome news as I've promised myself a 1299 Panigale as some point... maybe it'll just have to be display item... :love

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:47 pm 
Knob Magnet

HOON98 wrote:
I get the impression that the new CB1000R is not quite to your taste Steve :angel

I am sorry but the original CB1000R was mean looking and looked purposeful, this new one looks like it should come with a Beard oil dispenser bottle and brown seat FFS :Bang

370Steve

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:59 pm 
True Horneteer

knee_jerk wrote:
I've been put off Ducatis.

I occasionally ride with a chap who has a 1290 SD and a Ducati Streetfighter, a bike I've wanted since I first saw it.
He told me a piston cracked and it has been waiting for parts for ages. Once running he will sell and never get another Ducati.
This was not welcome news as I've promised myself a 1299 Panigale as some point... maybe it'll just have to be display item... :love

Jeez, cracked piston? I thought Ducati had put that kind of thing behind them years ago . . . I was just thinking of dodgy electrics and frequent timing belt changes which have to be carried out by experts with special tools - but that's even worse . . .

If I get the spare Moolah I would get a Panigale - because of the engine, the handling, the pedigree and because it's so beautiful - definitely the Motorcycle equivalent of owning a Ferrari - but as you say - it would probably be parked in the front room and only come out in the sunshine.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:00 pm 
True Horneteer

370steve wrote:
HOON98 wrote:

I am sorry but the original CB1000R was mean looking and looked purposeful, this new one looks like it should come with a Beard oil dispenser bottle and brown seat FFS :Bang

lol - classic :lol

These f*cking Hipsters have a lot to answer for! :angel

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:15 pm 
Hornet Lord

370steve wrote:
I am sorry but the original CB1000R was mean looking and looked purposeful

Really?...
It is a very tidy looking bike, lovely to ride, and I loved the one where they made the swing arm bright red... but I just can't look at it straight on... why oh why did Honda give it a big zit on it's chin!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:18 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
I'm a petrol head (although I accept the environmental arguments and science which wants to phase petrol combustion out

I think what really put me off was the Toyota Prius hybrid and its ilk, and the smug luvvie prixx that drove them when they first came out, all 'saving the planet', which really is a load of bollox, when you factor in the electricity generation and the stuff the batteries are made out of. Can't see that 'renewables' will have the capacity, what we need is nice clean nuclear fusion.

The well heeled are getting in on the act. I was at the vets last week, and a Tesla rolled in, very impressive with its remote controlled gull wing rear doors, blimmin' show off. Same week, Jaguar demonstrating some electric SUV thing outside our local Waitrose.

Only electric vehicle I really do fancy is one of those electric trail bikes that Top Gear tested ( the bloke off Friends and the bald car driver bloke ), really seemed to go well, and range wouldn't be a problem as you'd probably trailer them there beind your diesel engined pickup truck ..

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:34 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Back on topic, I just went and looked at pictures of the earlier CB1000R. Didn't like it. Exhaust marginally less offensive than the later one, but otherwise too much of the manga stuff, that headlamp and those Z shaped radiator wings, yuk.

Now if the later one had old school style clocks and a proper headlamp, like Kawasaki have done on their Z1 pastiche ( which I actually don't like ), it would look better.

And why Honda persist in single sided swingers is beyond me. OK if it really made wheel changes that much quicker for the endurance racers, but you don't see MotoGP bikes with SSAs, and they seem to manage wheel changes quick enough. If they really wanted to make life easier on the road bikes, rather than just an overweight styling exercise, they should have incorporated a shaft drive into the SSA.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:30 pm 
True Horneteer

Quote:
what we need is nice clean nuclear fusion.

Yeah - pulling stuff out of the ground and burning it into the atmosphere at the rate we are doing is not a great idea.

Quote:
a Tesla rolled in, very impressive with its remote controlled gull wing rear doors

That Elon Musk guy is some kind of creative engineering genius - best insight into the guys mind I've seen came via this interview with Joe Rogan - it's worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycPr5-27vSI

Quote:
Only electric vehicle I really do fancy is one of those electric trail bikes

I've seen some very impressive road/sports electric motorbikes - the battery technology is getting better and smaller so range/weight is becoming less and less of an issue - plus the performance could exceed what we are getting from petrol engines - people who have ridden them rave on about the massive torque available everywhere and instant acceleration etc.

Quote:
Back on topic, I just went and looked at pictures of the earlier CB1000R. Didn't like it. Exhaust marginally less offensive than the later one, but otherwise too much of the manga stuff, that headlamp and those Z shaped radiator wings, yuk.

I don't like the headlight either - the headlight unit off the little Honda Grom would have suited it better - it's incredible that Honda managed to style the front of the Grom better than a flagship bike like the CB1000R.

Quote:
And why Honda persist in single sided swingers is beyond me.

It's nice on the VFR because it's become so associated with that particular model when Honda was using the VFR back in the 80s and 90s to showcase it's engineering prowess and innovation with the jewel like V4 and single sided swinger which was unusual and impressive when it came out - but yeah I can't see why they need to carry it across onto bikes like the CB1000R where a more conventional swinger would suit the bike better.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion