Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post subject: Repairing Z rated tyre
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Just had a message from my VFR800 buddy, local tyre place and a local bike dealer both refusing to repair a front wheel puncture in an almost new Michelin Pilot Road 5.

I'm assuming that the puncture is in the tread center rather than on the edge, and a quick Google finds this info:

Quote:
PUNCTURE REPAIRS TO MOTORCYCLE TYRES
The regulation that covers puncture repairs in motorcycle tyres is BSAU159f. It states that no repairs are allowed in the sidewalls (these flex continuously and a repair is likely to fail), and repairs are not allowed on high speed Z-rated tyres. However, Michelin DO allow repairs to their own Z-rated tyres - providing that repair is carried out to BS standard. They are the ONLY tyre manufacturer to allow this.
Repairs, which must be carried out with a mushroom plug, can only be made in the centre of the tread area, to within 25% of each side of the centre line. Only two repairs per tyre are allowed up to the J (62mph) speed rating, and one up to the V (over 130mph with 155mph maximum) speed rating. Up to J-rating, repairs no bigger than 6mm are allowed, and up to the V-rating only repairs up to 3mm are allowed. Anything outside of these parameters and the tyre is scrap.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:19 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

If it were mine i'd fix it with - I've now used it twice, once in the Viffers rear and once in the hornets rear and have every confidence in product.

Advantages are... (off the top of my head)

You can fix the tyre yourself.
It's a permanent repair for the life of the tyre.
There is no speed limitation after the fix.
Doesn't require you to gouge an even bigger hole. (Further damaging the tyre structure)
Will go on providing protection for the life of the tyre.
The tyre will not lose any pressure for the life of the tyre. (Remarkable how this works)

You can install it prior or post puncture.... i now carry a dose of it, large syringe and . If post puncture... simply fill the tyre with the correct dose, then rotate the wheel placing the puncture is at the bottom (6 O'clock) then inflate.

Fixed.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:58 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Too late - tyre place talked him into ordering a new tyre :Bang

He's going to service the Viffer while the front wheel is out. He's already removed the front mudguard and calipers, I'm trying to persuade him that this would be a good time to change the fork oil. Just a matter of undoing the pinch bolts and dropping the fork legs out, same as the Hornet ?

( I don't reckon his fork oil has been changed in living memory, bet it reeks :puke )

One positive to come out of this. After discussing how we get our front ends up ( ooer missus ), I've finally bitten the bullet and ordered an ABBA stand, partially after looking at pics in one of your threads. Got the swing arm removal kit as well, but I reckon my trolley jack will suffice for front end servicing.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:32 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

There's also a brake pipe crossover mounted between the forks, this'l need to be unbolted and carefully suspended. (Along with the calipers) After removing the clip on handle bars- the forks drop out just the same as the Hornet.

You won't regret your Abba stand purchase :clap

Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:53 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Thanks for that.

However, I feel as though I'm hitting my head against a brick wall here.

He has an R reg (98) VFR, but he can't see the point in changing the fork oil, because the manual doesn't specify a change interval, the forks 'feel fine' to him, and in any case, he doesn't have the time to do this.

FFS, he has the front wheel, calipers and mudguard off already, how much longer to drop the fork legs ? :evil

Talking about a fellow retired chap here, plenty of time for other completely irrational non biking activities :Bang

Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:27 am 
Knob Magnet

richard pitman wrote:
Thanks for that.

However, I feel as though I'm hitting my head against a brick wall here.

He has an R reg (98) VFR, but he can't see the point in changing the fork oil, because the manual doesn't specify a change interval, the forks 'feel fine' to him, and in any case, he doesn't have the time to do this.

FFS, he has the front wheel, calipers and mudguard off already, how much longer to drop the fork legs ? :evil

Talking about a fellow retired chap here, plenty of time for other completely irrational non biking activities :Bang

:clap :clap :clap

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 am 
Victor Meldrew

Apparently, there's not much room in the top fairing to get at the yoke pinch bolts ??

Anyway, my ABBA stand arrived yesterday, fitted and working well, very sturdy and stable.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:40 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

richard pitman wrote:
Apparently, there's not much room in the top fairing to get at the yoke pinch bolts ??

Anyway, my ABBA stand arrived yesterday, fitted and working well, very sturdy and stable.

I have 'JCB bucket hands' (or so I've been told) and had no problems undoing the pinch bolts fitting new head stock bearings recently. The fork oil was changed at the same time...would have been daft not to. There was no issues using a torque wrench on them bolts either... strange attitude regarding the fork oil, there's loads friendly help and 'how to threads' over on the VFR site.

Maybe he don't trust you Richard :angel

Great stand the ABBA :)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:04 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Maybe so, he still hasn't taken me up on my offer to help do his chain and sprockets :(

As for his forking fork oil,

Quote:
it is a palaver to get at the yoke bolts behind the headlight assembly as it's shrouded and there is little space to work. I probably still have scars from changing the headlight bulbs

I just think he doesn't take kindly to helpful advice.

He also sticks to the national speed limit ……..

Post Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:53 pm 
Johnny English

i would have told the garage to "fork off ", and done the patch myself , like i have many many many times in the many many years of biking, never had a issue , i even do my cars the same way,

:)

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion