Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:03 pm 
True Horneteer

Personally I never had any interest in Royal Enfield motorcycles as I'm not interested in owning or riding an outdated 1940s era motorcycle - but with the parallel twins and the new styles the company is starting to produce some genuinely desirable bikes while remaining true to their retro/repro roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9WJrKf_SrY

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:14 am 
Victor Meldrew

The latest 650 twin looks to be a nice bike, at a very good price. MCN did one of their ride reports the other week, comparing it with a Triumph, and the Enfield won, better to ride and 2k cheaper, nicer looking as well, IMHO.

This weeks MCN features Nortons 'Nomad' retro. I think the name says it all, you'd have to be mad to spend 12k on a contraption that looks like something a hipster has knocked up in his garden shed. :puke

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:13 pm 
True Horneteer

Yeah - The RE650 looks like it will deliver all the good bits of the 1960s British bike experience - the looks, seat of the pants riding experience, a bike you can have a lot of fun on sub 70 mph etc - with less of the bad bits - like crappy brakes and tires and fragile/unreliable electrics/mechanics. If I had the spare readies I would definitely be considering getting one.

Quote:
This weeks MCN features Nortons 'Nomad' retro. I think the name says it all, you'd have to be mad to spend 12k on a contraption that looks like something a hipster has knocked up in his garden shed. :puke

lol :angel Yeah - There is something that is a bit too self-conscious about the Norton - like it's trying too hard to appeal to the kind of person the Norton marketing department's focus group has identified.

In contrast the Royal Enfield appears far more authentic and the genuine item - a proper 1960s motorcycle built today - rather than something dressed up to approximate a 1960's motorcycle like the Norton.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion