Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:26 pm 
Talks alot of crap !

I've got to source X8 6mm washers to refit the cam holders on my CBR - this is them in the pic;

These OEM washers are £3.88 a pop which is over thirty quid all in! :eek

Some much cheaper ebay 6mm aluminium washers should be just as good right?

Or should I stick strictly to OEM washers for the cam holders on the basis that if the thickness of the ebay washers is slightly different from OEM this might throw out the torque specs?

Obviously this is not a problem for more mundane applications - but this is for engine internal components - where everything has to be spot on and corners should not be cut to save a few quid?

Sorry to be so pedantic - but anything going on under the valve cover induces this kind of paranoia in me :angel

Thanks for any advice, opinions etc.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:58 am 
Hornet Lord

What did you end up doing in the end?

Personally, I would've measured the bits and seen if I could get similar or same sized washers cheaper.

Either that or convince myself I need to shell out for a lathe and then take a personal loan to save myself £30 :P

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:20 pm 
Talks alot of crap !

anz243k wrote:
What did you end up doing in the end?

Personally, I would've measured the bits and seen if I could get similar or same sized washers cheaper.

Either that or convince myself I need to shell out for a lathe and then take a personal loan to save myself £30 :P

Yeah I agree.

Haven't actually got round to it yet - turns out I have a bigger valve related problem.

Bike started stalling at low revs - I checked the valves and compression - all valves really tight and out of spec - and 50% recommended compression on cylinder 2 - so it looks like the valves have started to eat into the seats and are not sealing properly - so the head has to come off, strip the valves and send it off to a shop for seat refacing.

Moral of the story - keep on top of your valve clearances! 8o

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:36 pm 
Hornet Lord

shit that reminds me that I need to do mine.

I'm at 700 miles from 60k so waiting till then to do a big service - filters, carb balance, valves, plugs, check ht leads, change clocks toworking set etc...

Thing is I actually have time now to do this as i'm off work but not riding as a result and so not building the mileage.
I'll only start building the mileage up once I start workign again but by the I won't have the time to everything all in go without needing to ride in the middle of doing it.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:08 pm 
Talks alot of crap !

anz243k wrote:
shit that reminds me that I need to do mine.

I'm at 700 miles from 60k so waiting till then to do a big service - filters, carb balance, valves, plugs, check ht leads, change clocks toworking set etc...

Thing is I actually have time now to do this as i'm off work but not riding as a result and so not building the mileage.
I'll only start building the mileage up once I start workign again but by the I won't have the time to everything all in go without needing to ride in the middle of doing it.

Yeah - always the way - you need time to do this stuff properly - when I used to do a lot of commuting I always had two bikes - so if one needed a service or fixing I could hop on the other bike to go to work and space out fixing up the other bike over the course of a few weekends.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:43 pm 
Hornet Lord

Wish I had the funds for that when I was properly commuting.

Its only now that my insurance had become cheap enough that I can justify the cost but no commute and no funds to buy a second bike!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:44 pm 
Talks alot of crap !

anz243k wrote:
Wish I had the funds for that when I was properly commuting.

Its only now that my insurance had become cheap enough that I can justify the cost but no commute and no funds to buy a second bike!

Yeah - I know what you mean - although in my case my second bikes were always bargain basement stuff - you can pick up late 90s 600cc suzuki bandits for peanuts - or maybe even a 12 if you want the extra stomp.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion