Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post subject: Kriega tail bag / pack
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:58 pm 
Hornet Lord

Hey guys, I'm heading off to uni in September and am taking my bike to get home on the weekends. I was thinking of getting a Kriega US20 or US30 tail pack to lug my stuff around and was wondering if any of you have had experience with it? Specifically where are the best mount points on the 2003 Hornet 600 subframe to attach the alloy hook straps?

I'll be using it to carry shoes, clothes for 3 days, toiletries, shoes, phone charger, 2m Almax chain and waterproof over trousers & jacket.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:49 pm 

I've got the US20, but if you can stretch to the 30 get it as it just means more storage power and flexibility (shoes really fill in the capacity of luggage quickly).

The quick release hook system has straps that you can attach under the seat and onto on the rear frame rails - I used my kit on the CB1000R but I'm sure you can do something similar with the 600 - great bit of kit - expandable with other Kriega stuff (other 10s 20s 30s etc) and holds its price really well if you want to sell on - oh and also completely waterproof ! The best soft gear of its type out there !

08 Hornet 600 09 CB1000R

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm 
Hornet Lord

Cheers for the advice bud. Have you ever attached yours onto a 600?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:38 pm 
Hornet Pilot

I have done several trips abroad with a Kriega us20 and it's been superb, I wouldn't ever use anything else .
I did buy a us30 for one trip but it just wouldn't sit right on the bike and was never as secure as the us20 for some reason .
Ps
Never used the Kriega yet on the hornet but trial fitted it and will consider taking off the grab rail so the bag sits completely flat on the rear seat and also gives me more room with mt Kriega r15 rucksack.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 pm 
Hornet Lord

doggy wrote:
Never used the Kriega yet on the hornet but trial fitted it and will consider taking off the grab rail so the bag sits completely flat on the rear seat and also gives me more room with mt Kriega r15 rucksack.

What about with it mounted sideways, across the seat?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:59 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Don't think I can do that with the us20 because of the straps .
The us30 I had went sideways across the seat of my street triple because it had the metal hooks you attach to the subframe .
I'll find some pics tomorrow if I can and post them up .

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:17 pm 
Hornet Lord

doggy wrote:
Don't think I can do that with the us20 because of the straps.

Oh, I thought the US-20 came with the alloy hook straps too? Yours must be an older model cause they all come with them now IIRC.

doggy wrote:
The us30 I had went sideways across the seat of my street triple because it had the metal hooks you attach to the subframe.
I'll find some pics tomorrow if I can and post them up.

Thanks buddy it would be great to have an idea of the size and fitment :)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:21 pm 
Hornet Pilot

couple of pics.

US20 on the hornet .Just stuffed it with coats for a pic tonight

US20 on my MV Brutale.

US30 mounted sideways with hooks . I'm quite small 5ft7 and 10-5stone .

Hope this helps you make your mind up! .

colin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:26 pm 
Hornet Lord

Looks pretty awesome man, thanks for the pics. I think I'll go for the US-30, £95 is a bit steep though :(

Love your bikes BTW!!!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:41 am 
Hornet Lord

That is one ugly woman on the calendar!

Nice bikes! Must ask though, are you a racist?

Half the wheels, double the fun!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:33 am 
Hornet Pilot

VBui wrote:
Looks pretty awesome man, thanks for the pics. I think I'll go for the US-30, £95 is a bit steep though :(

Love your bikes BTW!!!

Your welcome .
Thanks, had the triumph for four great years pimped it quite a bit great bike

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:36 am 
Hornet Pilot

ScHAmPi wrote:
That is one ugly woman on the calendar!

Nice bikes! Must ask though, are you a racist?

Hadn't taken any notice of her face, only the boobs.
Ordered the Triumph the white as didn't want black or green. Traded it in after four years for the new MV which they only do in white or black. Bought the hornet to go alongside the MV and fancied blue but ended up with white again!!!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:39 am 
Hornet Lord

doggy wrote:
Hadn't taken any notice of her face, only the boobs.
Ordered the Triumph the white as didn't want black or green. Traded it in after four years for the new MV which they only do in white or black. Bought the hornet to go alongside the MV and fancied blue but ended up with white again!!!

I thought the boobs were ugly too, but to each their own.

Hehe don't worry about it, I think white is a nice color for bikes. Makes for a nice contrast with the black of the engine, tires, wheels etc.

Half the wheels, double the fun!

Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:45 pm 
Victor Meldrew

They only had these in white when I got this. Bloomin nightmare to keep it clean, washed it four times already. Silver paint is much better, hardly ever bothered washing that.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:50 pm 
Hornet Lord

Hey guys, just a follow up on this. I finally bit the bullet and bought the single Kriega US30 tailpack, not the combo one.
I was worried that it wouldn't fit right on the bike or that it'll sag and scratch the tail, however I've had none of those problems. Mine came with the loop straps and alloy hook straps (standard on the bigger Kriega packs now) and I've put the loop straps through points on the subframe as is recommended by Kriega. I fit the bag sideways on the pillion seat and it fits perfectly with plenty of clearance between it and the tail so there are no worries about it scratching or dulling the lacquer and paint. More importantly there's more than enough clearance between the pack and the end of my Scorpion exhaust so there's no chance of melting.
I'm glad I went for the 30 litre over the 20 because It's just the right size for my needs. Now that I've had it for a little under 2 weeks and used it 5 times its clear that a 20 litre pack would have been too small. I mainly use it for weekend trips home now that I'm a full time university student. For weekend trips my pack is usually filled with toiletries, 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of boxer shorts, a pair of jeans, 2 shirts, a hoodie, a coat, my shoes, my 13" Macbook Pro (in its own carry case / bag thingy), its charger, my phone charger and cable. In the top zip pocket I have my keys, 2 packs of tissues and plastic carrier bags. It fits all of my stuff pretty easily and even has a little more room to spare, not that much though!
I usually wear a backpack and when my shoulder straps are properly adjusted there's surprisingly little interference between it and the tailpack, I can just about feel it which is great so I know its still there ;). For the first 2 rides I was worried about the secureness of the hook straps, but now that I'm used to it those worries have disappeared. Even after spirited corner carving sessions and stretches of *cough cough* 135mph *cough* the pack stays secure and doesn't shift, however out of habit I always reach back and give it a nudge to make sure its still there.
I've yet to test it in the rain as we've been having an unusually dry autumn but I have complete faith that it is indeed 100% waterproof.

So... Overall the pack has been great and I have no regrets of buying it even with the rather hefty £95 price tag. It's really well made and seems to me that it'll last many years of all year riding, spares are readily available directly from Kriega should you need any and there's a 10 year guarantee.
I wholeheartedly recommend the Kriega tail packs and if you're looking at the US20 think again and cough up the extra £20 for the US30. Its a no brainer really and gives you more versatility and headroom for extra stuff. It's much easier having one big pack rather than faffing about strapping another to it... If you're like me and are really worried about it not fitting right or scratching the bike don't be. It fits almost like it was designed for the bike, provided you strap it sideways and it still looks great that way too.

Apologies for the long post and lack of pictures. Every time I'm by the bike with the pack I'm either strapping it on, taking it off, filling up with fuel or riding, no time for faffing about. If anyone's interested I'll update the post with some pictures when I have time. I hope that by posting my thoughts and experiences it helps other riders looking into luggage systems and answers some questions they may have.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:12 am 
Hornet Warrior

I bought the 20 and is fine for work unless i want to go to the gym as i have 2 pairs of shoes in there. Mit have to start leaving some at work. Whats handy is i picked up a cheap tank strap for it so it sits on the tank too when i have the mrs as pillion

If i ever go touring though, id be looking at the Lomo bags as an extension. 40L for £11 and just straps down onto the luggage hooks under the seat which means i could have 60L of storage on the bike for a lot less than an extra £95. Definitely worth lookimg into but i agree its not as smart looking or perhaps as easy than the kriega which is probably more suitable for regulalr trips on it. For a long haul, lomo would be fine

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:23 am 

Great tips and experiences ! The 30l is definitely the way to go ( don't forget these are roll tops with adjuster straps, so if you don't fill it it compresses down really well ) - I also bought a plain Givi roll top bag (about 35l) - if you have just one destination ( as opposed to a tour) and want to whizz everything in one bag, these are relatively cheap and cheerful - used one for the IoM earlier this year - all round I prefer soft luggage to a top box any minute, hour or day of the week !

08 Hornet 600 09 CB1000R

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:33 pm 
Hornet Lord

Doomsnite wrote:
If i ever go touring though, id be looking at the Lomo bags as an extension. 40L for £11 and just straps down onto the luggage hooks under the seat

Not sure if those little luggage hooks are tough enough for strapping hefty luggage to. I've used it for things like cargo netting a helmet to, but I wouldn't trust it with heavy loads...

Last edited by VBui on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:55 pm 
Hornet Lord

PICTURES!!!!
Got back from a weekend trip home and had time to take a few pictures of the tail pack loaded and on my bike. The pack was about 2/3rds full.

Loop straps are attached to subframe under the seat and you can see there is plenty of clearance between the pack and tail.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:01 am 
Hornet Warrior

VBui wrote:
Doomsnite wrote:
If i ever go touring though, id be looking at the Lomo bags as an extension. 40L for £11 and just straps down onto the luggage hooks under the seat

Not sure if those little luggage hooks are tough enough for strapping hefty luggage to. I've used it for things like cargo netting a helmet to, but I wouldn't trust it with heavy loads...

I've got the 01 version of the bike, and I strap an Oxford X40 to the hooks without problems. (also comes with velcro to go under the seat) I've carried this fully expanded with all sorts in it including clothes, bottles of water, an Oxford Hardcore Padlock and Chain (weighs a tonne!). I think the hooks are stronger than they look! :angel

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:38 am 
Hornet Lord

ANOTHER UPDATE!
I can confirm that the main compartment of the tail pack is indeed 100% waterproof. Its been on several wet and rainy rides but the most recent was the longest and heaviest rain its been in. Heavy rain for near enough the whole ride which was about 90% motorway, riding at 70 - 90mph, total trip was a smidge under an hour. The outside of the pack was absolutely drenched but the main compartment was BONE DRY with no signs of moisture! The top zip compartment was slightly damp around the edges but was surprisingly dry considering its designed to be water resistant.

Overall it performs exactly as advertised and is one of my favourite bits of biking gear.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:56 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Hi VBui,

Would it be a problem to update your account to enable 3rd party hosting? I can't see the picture at the moment, I'm afraid.

Also, is it quick to put the tail bag on and take it off the bike?

All the best,

Flav

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:58 am 
Johnny English

Stop putting links to photobucket everyone , they dont work anymore , :Bang :Bang :Bang

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:02 am 
Hornet Lord

True.
But a 3-4 year old post is past it anyway.
That said, I do rate the Kriega kit well.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:57 am 
Hornet Pilot

Flav wrote:
Also, is it quick to put the tail bag on and take it off the bike?

Yes, it is quick! you permanently mount the straps underneath the seat (with just 4 small pieces sticking out) and the metal hooks grabs rigt onto these. It takes less than 20s to put it on including "strapdown" to ensure no flapping.

The strap-part sticking out can be seen here:
http://i.imgur.com/tvW8feR.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:57 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies.

I was curious to have a look at those pictures to see how the straps are mounted on the Hornet, at least one pre 2007. I had had a good look at the Kriega website and had thought you could only fit those straps to a bike with a sub frame.

VBui has a 2003, same as I got, and he sounds pretty pleased so, clearly, it works!

All the best,

Flav

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion