Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Project
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:31 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Coming along nicely ! :clap

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:39 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Nothing much to report today, real life got in the way.

I did test the instruments. 42 year old Stanley bulbs still working fine in the tacho and speedo.

Replaced all the nasty rusted fixing nuts and washers with stainless, packed out worn mounting rubbers with 1/2" rubber hose washers, perfect fit.

Tested both (tacho is mechanical) by connecting drive cable and spinning it with a cordless drill. Nothing happened. :Bang

Tried the drill in reverse, bingo, both speedo and tacho work. :Pray

Who'd have thunk it ? Just seemed logical to expect drive to be clockwise.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:40 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Recycled Hornet handlebars, replacing the stock (rusty) braced off road bars. Will need new shorter control cables, Venhill here I come. Hornet bars retain their vibration damper weights, should cure some of the buzz I remember from my first CB175.

I have butchered (sorry, modded) the original switchgear, so that the electrics now run externally, as modern practice. Original bars are drilled so that cables run inside the bars, exiting at a big hole in the middle of the bars. I didn't want to hack my original Hornet bars, so I filed a notch in the switch housings.

Original Hornet mirrors will look the period part, I think. Jury is out on the indicators. Originals have good lenses, but stalks are rusty. Replicas are readily available, but not sure that I like the massive original units. Then again, modern plastic mini indicators would look even dafter. Same applies to stock massive rear light assembly.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:48 am 
Hornet Lord

Those bars look good on there :)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:46 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Rebuilt the back light and indicators. Basically, repainted the black bits, polished the shiny bits, replaced screws and bolts with stainless, then reassembled. Indicator stalks were hopelessly rusty, but I'm not about to blow 40 quid or more on pattern parts, so I rubbed them down and sprayed with Halfords steel wheel paint, same as engine cases.

All the original Stanley bulbs still work. ( My old CB175 used to eat tail light bulbs.)

Before

After

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:40 pm 
True Horneteer

Must admit Richard I'm really enjoying seeing this old girl coming together! She's miles before my time, but I bet it'll be nice riding her around on a sunny Sunday - open face lid, jeans and a classic jacket of course!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:55 pm 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

Ever thought about doing your own chrome or nickel plating Richard? Plenty of kits and how to's on the web.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:00 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Cheers Joe !

Woodyee, I did originally wonder about getting the mudguards rechromed, as they are not available as NOS items. However, it looked as though this would be expensive so I've just opted for polishing them at present. Rear isn't too bad, and the front may end up getting replaced with something off a generic 18" front, pattern part etc. I was aware of DIY kits but didn't really fancy the idea.

Got the cylinder back from Malvern Rebores today. Chap there is a biker himself, and told me all about his own nuts and bolt rebuild of a CD185 Honda twin. So I'm fairly confident that rebore has been done correctly, certainly looks OK.

Gave all the parts a wash in paraffin this afternoon, reassembled the engine cases without internals just to keep the muck at bay.

I've got all the gaskets, seals and 3Bond, but rebuild is going to have to wait until next week, as apparently there is some urgent wall papering to be done, :Bang :Bang :Bang :Bang

Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:12 pm 
Hornet Lord

Got to keep them happy so we can have our little hobbies :)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:14 pm 
Hornet Baby

bud wrote:
Got to keep them happy so we can have our little hobbies :)

I gave my missus a baby, she's still not happy (Although she did say I can buy a Z800).

As for the rebuild, brilliant work - can't wait to see the finished article.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:16 pm 
Victor Meldrew

After several days of wall papering, painting, laying carpet and humping old double bed downstairs, I escaped outside for a bit today and did a bit more work on the bike.

Shortened the front brake cable to suit the lower bars, fitted a new rear sprocket and a few other little bits and pieces.

But the best bit is the new front mudguard. Original CB175 parts are no longer available, so I'd toyed with the idea of buying a generic chrome mudguard, generally listed at 40 quid or more from places like M&P. And then I found this CG125 part, which is pretty much identical to the original. 15 quid from David Silver, result !

And for comparison, the original CB175 part. (not mine).

Post Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:12 pm 
Hornet Lord

That looks good. Cant argue with the price too :)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:20 pm 
Victor Meldrew

The filters on my project bike were in a filthy state, and new ones unobtainable, so I decided to rebuild, using RamAir filter foam.

I removed the old paper, and the mastic that attached it, by heating with a propane torch. Mastic scraped off easily from the hot metal. Obviously removed the carb boots before I did this. I then used Sikaflex 512 to glue the parts back together. Leaving the mastic to set between each stage of the rebuild.

I cut and bent some metal mesh, to add a bit of rigidity to the assembly, lined this with a strip of foam cut from a RamAir panel.

Final step was to fix the base of the filter assembly in place, then fit the black plastic cover back on whilst this last layer of Sikaflex was still pliable, to assure it all lined up and sealed correctly.

The bike isn't running yet, so I haven't had the chance to see if the filters work in practice. Can't see any reason why they won't though ....

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:54 pm 

The filter should be fine Richard.......it might add 25hp too :angel
i modified a k&n filter and used tiger seal to bond it to aluminium its the stuff they use for windscreens and body panel's, its black too if you need a different colour.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:32 am 
Hornet Lord

Should work out well :clap

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:20 pm 
Victor Meldrew

A bit more progress. I've tidied up the wiring loom. It was actually in good nick, just the external sheathing was tired and brittle, replaced this using proper fabric loom tape and automotive PVC sheathing, all from Kojaycat.

Spare Hornet battery fitted, and we have light ! Needed to resolder back of ignition switch, and replaced the tired original flasher relay with a Lucas one off an Austin Montego, found in shed. Horn and brake lights work as well, replaced both front and rear switches as these parts are really cheap brand new.

Starting to look like a bike now.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:18 pm 
Knob Magnet

:clap :clap looking really good Richard

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:47 pm 
Hornet Lord

Coming along nicely. Be ready to ride for the new riding season :)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:15 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Cheers chaps !

Electrics hopefully sorted now, assuming stator tests out OK. I've fitted a new rectifier, hoping voltage regulator (separate unit on these old Hondas) will be OK. Starter relay works, as does the 'new' starter motor.

Did some work on the carbs and fuel tap. Stripped them down and gave them some good long sessions in a little ultrasonic bath, really intended for jewellery etc. I used Sea Clean cleaning fluid. This stripped out all the dirt a treat, but has left the alloy looking very dull. When I had another look in the float bowls today a sort of salty looking deposit had formed, so I gave them another good wash in hot water, followed by a blast of WD40.

I wasn't going to bother, but having got this far I've ordered some carb rebuild kits from David Silver, gaskets etc, also bits to rebuild the fuel tap. Maybe think about flushing the fuel tank, although it does look pretty good inside.

After this, all I have left to do is reassemble the motor. 8o

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:00 pm 
Knob Magnet

:clap :clap :clap

370Steve

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:52 am 
Hornet Lord

What did we ever do before ultrasonic cleaners? The ones for jewellery are much cheaper than the ones you buy for bike bits :)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:32 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Started my engine rebuild today.

Bare cases with cylinders and head temporarily fitted.

Locating dowels fitted, crap photo

Crank goes in. Massive thing for a little 175, probably better bearings than a Brit 650.

Gear cluster with gear selectors engaged

New oil seals throughout

And finally, the cause of the rebuild, new kick start gear

Had to make a map of the crankcase bolts, M6 and M8, lots of different lengths. Only 1 minute working time with 3 Bond, so pays to be organised.

Cleaned bottom case, ready to slathered with 3 Bond, then torqued down

Oil pump, primary gear and clutch basket

Clutch centre fitted

Clutch plates and pressure plate installed, oil spinner fitted

One side of the engine completed, note the butchered cam block / tacho drive. Previous owners handiwork, I have a replacement one to fit.

Next job, stator side of engine, then the top end, new pistons and cam timing.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:08 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Not so much progress today. Got the stator side of the motor finished, then took off the cylinders and head that I'd temporarily fitted.

Got the cam chain threaded through and tensioner assembly fitted.

Now, I've done all this next bit before. When I was 18 or 19, I had my first new bike, a CB175. It was my pride and joy, and I ran it in very carefully. Too carefully, glazed the rings and bores, so it started burning oil. I took it back to the dealers. They were 'too busy' to fix it, so the parts man gave me a set of new piston rings and told me to fit them myself. No new gaskets or other bits. Nowadays, I'd have gone ballistic, back then I meekly thanked them and went away.

Anyway, me and my mate fitted the new rings in an afternoon, using just the spanners in the bikes tool kit, no torque wrench or socket set, used the original gaskets. Run in, the bike ran well, no leaks or oil burning, still trouble free when I traded it in 22k miles later on.

So why did it take me half the morning to simply get the rings onto the new pistons, after checking the ring gap in the bores, then another age to get the gudgeon pin circlips into place ? :Bang

I was going to get the cylinders and head on today, but gave up whilst I was still ahead. For me, this is the worst bit of the build, getting the cam chain into the right spot, whilst slipping the pistons in. How we did it so easily all those years back is a puzzle to me now.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:48 am 
Hornet Warrior

Man I love this thread. Keep up the good work. :clap

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:20 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Thanks !

Nothing much to report today. Spent early part of this evening fitting replacement cam box / plain bushing to cylinder head, along with new oil seals both sides, took me a while to work out how the tacho gear drive came apart, not mentioned in Honda or Haynes manuals. Simply yanking it out with pliers worked in the end ..

Then I rebuilt the carbs and fuel tap with the seals and gaskets that arrived today from David Silver.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:21 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Got the top end fitted this afternoon. Very stressful, didn't enjoy this bit of the build very much.

Started out by suspending the cam chain ends from the shed roof.

Threaded the wires through the cam chain tunnel in the cylinders, then perched the cylinder on top of the studs, slid it into place bit by bit until both pistons were in the bores.

Once in place, I used a piece of thick solder wire (something stiffer like a coat hanger or welding rod would have been better, but I was working alone and the solder wire was all I could reach) to lock the cam chain in place whilst I fitted the head over the studs. Slipped the wire out once the head was almost down in place.

Head on, cam timing set correctly, split link fitted without dropping it into engine. No photos taken at this stage, too stressed out by now.

Head torqued down, downed tools and went for a drink ...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:25 pm 
Knob Magnet

:clap :clap :clap nice work Richard

370Steve

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:45 pm 

There's always something satisfying about bolting the motor up, im sure you will have done it but just make sure it spins over freely with the head torqued up. Will it be a runner before xmas day?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:13 pm 
Victor Meldrew

I set the valve clearances today, so I've turned the motor over quite a few times today, turns easily enough against the pressure of the valve springs.

All five gears select correctly, and the kick start works now. Not 100% convinced that the clutch release mechanism is working correctly, but until the engine has run and the oil has circulated I'm not going to worry too much about that, easy to work on clutch with engine in frame, do this in between oil changes.

Set the points gap and ignition timing. Managed to confuse my self for a while, swapping between metric and imperial feeler gauges, thought the points gap looked a bit tight first time around. 8o

Had a bright idea setting the static timing, hooked up my test meter to the points to get them opening exactly at the F mark. Beats faffing around with fag paper etc.

Filled the motor with oil, so it's ready to fit back into the frame now. It'd be fun to fire it up on open pipes on Christmas morning :D

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:00 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Richard you have great patience and skill, I take my hat off... It all looks great so far :clap

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:17 am 
Hornet Warrior

Agreed. Keep it up-i'm always amazed at the amount of knowledge some people have ! :clap

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:45 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Got the engine in this afternoon. Really easy, just dropped into place. Padded the frame rails just in case, wasn't needed though. Electric start hooked up, spins the motor quite convincingly using an old Hornet battery, which incidentally is smaller than the OEM 175 Yuasa 12ah battery.

Neutral light now works, as does blue LED main beam warning that I fitted into the pattern (CG125) headlight.

Not all pattern parts fit so easily. I've really been looking forward to fitting the exhaust system. However, when I offered up the pattern header pipes, I found that they didn't fit into the head. Photo shows an exhaust gasket sitting on the flanged end of the pipe. Looks like some work with a file is called for. :Bang

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:23 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Made a start on fitting the silencers. Got off to a bad start, when I saw that the dents in the silencer didn't line up with the rear spindle. Got me in a right strop, thought I'd have to make up some new exhaust hangers, offset 12mm rearwards.

And then of course it dawned on me that I could move the wheel spindle forwards. :Bang

My assistant came to oil the wheels ...

And after some filing of flanges, and sawing of pipes to length, one side is fitted. And then I find that the CL footbar doesn't fit now. I'd read that it was different, but didn't believe this, even though part number was different. Why would Honda change this part, I reasoned, wrongly. Anyway, found a CB one on Ebay, hopefully that will sort things out. Just hoping now that the rear brake pedal will be OK, different part number again.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:09 pm 
Hornet Lord

Exhaust looks good. Just needed a little help from your assistant ;)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:20 pm 
Victor Meldrew

And it lives !

Got the engine running for the first time today. I'd like to say it started first touch of the button, but it didn't. When it did start, it was screaming away at 5k rpm. Turned out that the new pattern throttle cables outer was too short, so the throttle slides were not closing fully. Sorted that out, and it does now start first press of the button.

No nasty noises or leaks, plenty of oil reaching the top end of the motor, as checked through tappet covers.

Still to do. Sort out footrests, and fit chain. But that can all wait a few days, tucked up in the garage now.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:11 pm 
Hornet Lord

That's good news Richard :clap

Post Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:25 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Too cold and wet to be fiddling with bikes today, so I'm reduced to looking at photos and trawling Ebay for parts.

I've noticed that my throttle cable routing is incorrect, and I'm not happy with the clutch cable run either. Result of fitting non standard (Hornet) handle bars. Also thinking about seeing if I can bend the rear brake pedal to make it a better fit around the exhaust pipe.

Got another throttle cable on the way, along with some better clips for the fuel hoses. Still waiting for Hermes to deliver CB footbar, also found a CD footbar, bought that as well.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:02 pm 
True Horneteer

Looks lovely that does Richard! :clap

Post Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:00 pm 
Hornet Warrior

That looks really fantastic Richard! Job well done :clap

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:27 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Sorted out the throttle cable, using some bicycle gear cable, as none of the three different throttle cable assemblies that I've bought so far were long enough to route correctly.

Fitted the drive chain this afternoon. Started the engine. It seemed rude not to slip it into first gear and go for a little ride. Which showed that my worries about clutch assembly were unfounded, works perfectly.

But I've now got a new worry. Bike seemed to be 'crabbing' slightly, will need to check wheel alignment, make sure nothing is bent. Probably just a matter of getting the back wheel aligned properly, and maybe slackening the yoke bolts and putting front wheel between my knees.

Then again, might just be getting paranoid ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion