Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post subject: Kawasaki ER5
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:21 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Any previous owners out here ?

If so, any particular problems to watch out for ? Poor finish is a given, more concerned if there are any expensive mechanical 'gotchas' to look out for.

Reason for asking ?

Last year, I rebuilt a 1972 CB175. Since then, that scene has gone ridiculous, everyone seems to be competing for a shrinking pool of bikes and parts. Folks with more cash than sense, doing perfect restorations at any cost, or the 'café racer' pillocks, butchering decent old bikes into unrideable death traps.

So there's little chance of me doing one of those bikes again. I'm thinking of fast forwarding a few years, and the ER5 looks as though it'd fit the bill. Cheap parts, reliable 500 twin for cruising around on, reasonable basis for a custom (re)build.

Still got the Hornet of course, plenty fast enough for this old giffer.

You missed the starting gun

Post subject: Re: Kawasaki ER5
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:17 pm 
Hornet Lord

I think your right to stay away from the so called 'classic' old bikes, the same is true in the trail world also. Bikes that weren't all that good to start with seems to have folks throwing money at them. At least a lot of these are restored to actually race though..

I have no experience with the ER5 but just thought I'd mention that my 'go to hack' for everyday (if I'd ever needed one) was always going to be an SV650. Solid motor and strong mid-range, might be worth considering too... :)

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:20 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I had one for about 12 months so know a bit about it!

As far as I know, people said it has the typical regular/rectifier niggles that most two-wheelers seem to end up with, but saying that, mine was a 2002 model and as far as I know it never had it replaced...

On mine the rear suspension seized up a little, but that was lack of care on my half, only got a rear hugger late and rode through it through the winter without cleaning it down.
Battery went flat, but again, that was my fault, fitting a power cable straight to the battery and leaving a satnav plugged in...

And that's it, I had no other problems with it! All the problems were caused by a serious lack of care and attention!

It's got the GPZ-500 engine in it (detuned), so it sounds like a bag of nails but never breaks down... the previous owner had sent mine down the road (or so I think) and the bike shop I bought it from MOT'd, serviced it before selling it to me... but they left bolts loose, the tank bolt on the seat end wasn't done up, the front forks were twisted, and "axle bolts" (I think?) were loose, but that was the fault of the shop who sold it to me! But, all said, even with loads of loose bolts, a previous accident (that caused it to be Cat D), and a careless owner, it still did the job well!

10/10, would buy again... :angel

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

I've had 2 Richard. Finish quality is appalling - needs a lot of TLC to get them through the winter months. Never had any mechanical or cycle part issues though. They were my regular, and very reliable work transport for 2 years or so

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:46 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Thanks very much for the replies.

Finish isn't that much of an issue, as I want to get a fairly rough example that I can strip and rebuild, much as I did last year with the 175. I've read about the rectifier issue - bit worrying that that can apparently take out the tacho, which seems to a hard to find part secondhand.

Unlike the 175, I wouldn't be lining the pockets of certain on line bike breakers who ask silly prices for pieces of rusted crap, or NOS 'barn finds'.

I like the look of the ER5. Proper tubular steel frame, twin rear shocks etc. Be even better if I could source wire (spoked) wheels for it. Can't justify a W650 or 800. As a 500 twin it'll be quick enough not to be totally embarrassing on the back road summer bimble.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:01 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I take it you saw the guy in practical sportsbikes several months back with the cafe racer ER5? very nicely (and cheaply) done

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:55 pm 
Victor Meldrew

hellsgran wrote:
I take it you saw the guy in practical sportsbikes several months back with the cafe racer ER5? very nicely (and cheaply) done

Exactly that !

Article got me thinking.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:38 pm 
Hornet Lord

If you could make something like that on a budget Richard you would be onto a winner :)

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion