Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 pm 
Hornet Lord

https://youtu.be/a-1O1Tkfvho

Just struggling to understand what market this bike will be aimed at..
Looks like the India market?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Yeah - looks like it's for the Asian and possibly S.American market.

I'm not really up on what drives bike sales in these markets - interestingly in India the sales of large capacity road/sports bikes (which were traditionally sold mainly in the European and North American markets) are taking off due to the growing demographic of young, well payed middle class males with disposable income to blow on that kind of thing.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:31 pm 
Hornet Lord

South Indian checking in!
Bikes in south india are a form of cheap transport.
So main factors when buying are largely the same as for cars here. Reliability, fuel economy, spare parts availability etc...
In the small bike category (sub200c), this is a very middle of the road bike. Tbh, these don't actually have a slightly lower than average rep over there.

When I tell people I have a hornet, I have to clarify that its completely different to the 160cc version.

Like hoon said though, the larger bike category is taking off...most people seem to be after the 300ish cc range. Some richer folks are looking at the 600s. Obv, you do have people who do buy bigger bikes (I saw a z800 in the middle of my local town once)

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:35 pm 
Hornet Lord

I think what most surprised me is that Honda made a bike of an engine size that was specifically targeted at India. The market must huge!

I suppose if you stripped away the bodywork it'd be a pretty generic frame (CG125 type), and the engine looks like an over bored CG125.. so maybe it's not so much of a Hornet but a CG with big bore and a body kit?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Interesting info anz243k - it's always intriguing to see what is going on in the wider world of motorcycling :D

While looking for reviews of bikes on Youtube I caught a couple of excellent and informative Indian Motorcycle Review Shows featuring larger bikes like Bandit 12's and Blades - it's good for motorcycling that new markets for larger performance motorcycles are opening up outside their traditional markets - more enthusiast riders around the world means more manufacturer investment in new machines and more collective global political and financial muscle to oppose anti-bike legislation.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:52 pm 
Needs to get out more!

knee_jerk wrote:
I think what most surprised me is that Honda made a bike of an engine size that was specifically targeted at India. The market must huge!

Yeah - I think it's a very big market - as with the rest of Asia you have a very large demographic of young people wanting two wheeled motorised transport - it's a really important market for bike manufacturers.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:51 pm 
Victor Meldrew

The Hornet name has been used on that Indian Honda for at least a couple of years now. I see that there is also a 190cc version now, bet that really goes. :lol

Same idea as Brazilian CG125, Italian CB600 Hornet, US Gold Wings etc, bikes to suit the local market.

it's good that a Japanese manufacturer is involved, keeping the Chinese at bay. More interestingly (IMHO) is the way that the Indians have developed our old Royal Enfield into a modern(ish) bike, proper leak free engine castings, fuel injection, disk brakes, and then export them back to Blighty, at very reasonable prices.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:06 pm 
Hornet Lord

There is definitely a big market over there. It's interesting that manufacturers like KTM, and now BMW are cashing in on this market. As a bonus we are getting some cool small capacity A2 licence bikes.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion