Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post subject: Custom Fazer
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:29 am 
Needs to get out more!

The old Fazer 600 was an excellent bike but personally I thought the bikini fairing made it look hideous which is why I bought a naked Hornet instead - but an old cheap fazer would make an excellent base for a project - after you have ripped the fairing off of course.

This is a good custom as it's all about performance and not looks - no knobbly tires, no pipe wrap etc - just stripped down and modified to make the bike go better rather than just pose in the high street.

The builder added 2012 R6 forks, swingarm, brakes and wheels which required modifying the frame to make the swingarm fit.

Builder also radically simplified the original clunky wiring loom with a Motogadget m-Unit controller (worth checking out).

Rather than go down the pods re-jetting route it also has a bespoke filterbox.

Builder tuned the ignition via the CDI to make 107 bhp on top of the standard 95 bhp - coupled with the bhp gain the bike is 66 kilograms lighter than the stock fazer.

Quite an inspirational custom build in my opinion.

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-fzs600-fazer

Post subject: Re: Custom Fazer
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:28 pm 
Victor Meldrew

It's alright, I suppose. He said grudgingly.

I've thought before that the original Fazer would make a good custom, especially if it could have a twin shock rear end, and wire wheels. I'm still thinking that an ER5 or CB500 could be modded along those lines.

Mind you, I do think they protest too much ..

Quote:
Apparently, the hipsters are ruining motorcycles. At least that’s the mantra of the old guard, bemoaning every trend from tire choices to velocity stacks. Meanwhile, the rest of us are happy to enjoy bikes for what they are:

I would just say that the 'old guard' probably outnumber the 'rest of us', and in any case, taking an angle grinder to a 2000 Fazer is hardly likely to upset classic bike enthusiasts.

You missed the starting gun

Post subject: Re: Custom Fazer
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:37 am 
Needs to get out more!

Quote:
It's alright, I suppose. He said grudgingly.

lol at last! :angel

Quote:
I've thought before that the original Fazer would make a good custom, especially if it could have a twin shock rear end, and wire wheels. I'm still thinking that an ER5 or CB500 could be modded along those lines.

Yeah - I agree - personally I would go with the Fazer - with a bit of attention to detail it can be a seriously sorted motorcycle capable of embarassing much flashier bikes.

Quote:
Mind you, I do think they protest too much .. I would just say that the 'old guard' probably outnumber the 'rest of us', and in any case, taking an angle grinder to a 2000 Fazer is hardly likely to upset classic bike enthusiasts.

Yeah - the article was very defensive - which was ironic as this was one of the few bikes that they feature on BikeExif that represents a technical and performance improvement on the donor model - so many of the rest seem to have inappropriate tires and uncomfortable riding positions - plus the whole cafe racer custom scene has moved from being an interesting niche to a bit of a cliche - and the scramblers with their knobblies look good - but must be absolutely crap on tarmac which is where they will spend most of their time.

I've been bored by the look and compromises of a lot of standard production bikes for a while now and have been looking at the custom scene with an idea of starting a project of my own - and although I was intially seduced by the novelty and looks of the scramblers and cafe racers the fact that so many of them represent form over function and are potentially worse motorcycles than they were to begin with turns me off - but this bike has inspired me - such an improvement on the original bike but without ludicrously expensive and complex engine and chassis mods.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion