Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:46 am 
Needs to get out more!

Wants 7k for a 20 year old bike that you can pick up with similar mileaage for 2k.

Fair enough if it was something rare and homologated with a limited production run like an R7 or had been bubble packed with zero mileage for the last 20 years but it's just an old R1.

Seller has specifically asked people not to message him taking the p*ss :angel

https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorbikes/1998-yamaha-r1-read-all-of-ad-before-messaging-/1258653055

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:26 pm 
Hornet Lord

I do like how he says its one of the first.
I work in the car industry (launching cars into production) and wouldn't touch the first model year of most cars.
The amount of bodge and cowboy engineering that some people do to get things working on the first gens is ridiculous.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:25 pm 
Needs to get out more!

That's interesting - even though I have a MK1 Hornet I tend to take the same view on first generation bikes - I prefer to get the MK2 version of a motorcycle after they have completed all the recalls and ironed out some of the defects which you sometimes get on a new model - this is true with the R1 - the original 4XV is a stonking bike but the sharper successor 5JJ model is the one to have out of the early carbed R1s.

I remember a (possibly apocryphal) story relating to the British car industry in the bad old days of the 1970's - apparently British Leyland executives when ordering their new Morris Marina :puke would stipulate that the car had not been assembled on a Friday as most of the production line were thinking about knocking off early to get p*ssed up in the pub that night - consequently 'Friday cars' were most likely to have been carelessly put together and suffer from defects.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:40 pm 
Victor Meldrew

BL in the 1970's.

On strike half the time, led by Derek Robinson, aka 'Red Robbo'.

I bought a brand new Mini 1000 in 1976. Interesting to find numerous spare nuts and bolts dropped under the carpets, presumably dropped there by a drunken monkey with a rattle gun. Non existent quality control and pre delivery inspection. Similar appalling service from the supplying garage, oily hand prints, spilled brake fluid etc etc.

Unlike today, where the car comes back from its annual service washed and vacuumed.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 pm 
Hornet Lord

I've spent a lot of time in the factory.
You should see how they watch the clock just before end of shift and before break times!!
They miss half the things they're supposed to do and the team leaders or next station or next shift has to fix it and then play catch up!

Some plants are better than others though..

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion