Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:27 pm 
True Horneteer

“Mr Zietowski is keen to emphasise that he is a changed man from the time of this incident. He offers his genuine remorse to the court today. From Mr Zietowski’s point of view, he is finished with motorbikes, they are no longer part of his life.”

Yeah right! :angel

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/18/biker-jailed-for-wheelie-pulling-selfie-taking-m6-stunts

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:48 pm 
Hornet Lord

Given how boring the M6 is, I'm not surprised he did that! Gotta stay awake somehow!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:47 pm 
True Horneteer

anz243k wrote:
Given how boring the M6 is, I'm not surprised he did that! Gotta stay awake somehow!

lol - yeah - motorways can be pretty tedious on a bike.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 pm 
Hornet Lord

Did you not see the video? What an idiot. But to be doing over 110 and not notice a car behind was crazy.
Can watch the video here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-41306906

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:43 am 
True Horneteer

Yeah - very stupid - the motorway is a bad place to do this kind of silly stuff because you stick out like a sore thumb to plod and have about 100 speeding vehicles spread across three lanes ready to turn you into hamburger mince if you fall off - but obviously you shouldn't be pulling these stunts anywhere on the public road.

As you say - it's imperative to know what is behind you on a bike - unless you want to kiss goodbye to motorcycles for at least a year and say hello to a massive hike in insurance if you want to ride again.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:49 pm 
Hornet Lord

“Mr Zietowski is keen to emphasise that he is a changed man from the time of this incident. He offers his genuine remorse to the court today. From Mr Zietowski’s point of view, he is finished with motorbikes, they are no longer part of his life.”

I believe the guy...

My mate got caught doing 107 on a dual carriageway about a month ago, he's currently waiting for his court date..

It has killed riding for him now, he no longer rides for pleasure, strictly commuting and even that is slipping as he just takes the car more and more. Also he is not making any non-essential journeys now as he can't risk getting caught again before the trial... which could be up to 6 months after the offense..
It sucks, and I know it's his own fault but what about the other people this effects..
ME! I've lost my bike buddy for a while :angel

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:39 pm 
True Horneteer

Yeah - losing my licence would be terrible - like most people on here bikes mean such a lot to me.

I rode for pure pleasure as well as commuting solidly for the first ten years of my biking career - in the summer I'd do 300 mile round trips to the west country on a whim etc - but as a commuting motorcyclist I've probably covered over a 100k miles in all weathers too going in and out of London so I've spent a lot of time in the saddle - consequently the desire to just go out for a blast isn't as strong as it used to be - however I still get a lot of pleasure out of the bike when I do have a specific destination to go to - and I try and get as much out of the trip as possible in terms of testing my skills and ability on the motorcycle.

I've entered that weird phase (that I never thought would happen to me) where I've got really interested in the fettling side of biking - tools, mechanics, projects, modification etc (although I'm very much in the learning phase still) - which invariably means you spend more time in the garage than on the road.

Maybe I should buy something totally extreme, fragile, high maintanance and impractical that you would only ever ride for the hell of it to get the hooning spirit back :angel

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:46 pm 
Hornet Lord

HOON98 wrote:
Maybe I should buy something totally extreme, fragile, high maintanance and impractical that you would only ever ride for the hell of it to get the hooning spirit back :angel

Ermmm... I can recommend a KTM superduke.. it ticks some of those boxes... :lol

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:22 pm 
True Horneteer

knee_jerk wrote:
HOON98 wrote:

Ermmm... I can recommend a KTM superduke.. it ticks some of those boxes... :lol

lol :angel

I got the impression KTMs were really tough what with the off road heritage - I was thinking more of something from Bologna begining with a D :D

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:44 pm 
Hornet Lord

I think KTM's are one of the most fragile off-road bikes out there, they've got a bit of a rep for having parts fall off. I suppose some of the Spanish makes are more fragile.... the Jap bikes are the tough ones.

I don't think I'd ever own a KTM dirt bike, their road range (which covers some of the larger off-road bikes too) are more sturdy.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:20 pm 
Hornet Lord

..and yes, I'd very much like a Panigale, mainly just to look at..

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm 
True Horneteer

I rode a friends KTM 990 supermoto once - awesome bike - goes and sounds as good as it looks - which is awesome :D

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:25 pm 
True Horneteer

knee_jerk wrote:
..and yes, I'd very much like a Panigale, mainly just to look at..

Yeah - If I had a Panigale I would park it in the front room.

An old Tamburini era 916/748 or maybe an early 90's Superlight would be nice.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:23 pm 
Hornet Lord

There was a 916 down at Westbay a few weeks back, sat there with it's hammerhead shark looks, certainly caught my eye...

That was until it was started... almost spat my burger out when I heard the rattle from that dry clutch... :angel
It'll be the newer wet clutch models only for me now after hearing that...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 pm 
True Horneteer

Quote:
almost spat my burger out when I heard the rattle from that dry clutch...

lol :lol

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 am 
Hornet Lord

knee_jerk wrote:
There was a 916 down at Westbay a few weeks back, sat there with it's hammerhead shark looks, certainly caught my eye...

That was until it was started... almost spat my burger out when I heard the rattle from that dry clutch... :angel
It'll be the newer wet clutch models only for me now after hearing that...

I remember taking one of my mates to the local bike meet. A 916 pulled in and my mate would not believe there was nothing wrong with it! :rollin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 pm 
Victor Meldrew

When I first got my Hornet, a lad in the lockup next to mine had a Ducati sports bike of some variety. As you say, the engine sounded as though it was broken, horrible noise. I guess that's why they put those ridiculously loud Termigonis on them, to drown out the mechanical racket.

You missed the starting gun

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion