Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 am 
Hornet Warrior

Hey there folks.... Ok.... I bought one of these earlier this year for storing Kayaks, Bicycles, BBQ's etc etc in and over the summer it has been fine..... however, over the last couple of months, i've noticed that the inside of the roof and walls are soaking wet..... so much so, that they are almost constantly dripping on everything on the shelter....?

This very similar to the shelter I have....

Does anyone have any advice or solutions to this....as I'm worried that everything is going to be ruined if i cant find a way to stop this.... :-\

Many Thanks...

.... Oh...and a 5.3lt V8 Chevy Truck !!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 am 
Needs to get out more!

Personally I would try a waterproofing fabric spray paint:

https://www.fabricspray.co.uk/shop/waterproofing-spray-paint/waterproof-fabric-spray-paint-black/

Or maybe just a water repellent fabric spray:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotchgard-Repellent-Outdoor-Fabric-Protector/dp/B00E7W82J8

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 am 
Hornet Lord

I would suspect that a lot of the water is coming up from the ground and condensing on the cold fabric walls over night - what surface is the shelter on, not grass I hope?
Do you have a sealed groundsheet down as even concrete can transport damp.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:50 am 
Hornet Warrior

It's on a Concrete driveway......it's absolutely soaking on the inside..... so much so, that I have had to put another tarp/cover on top of everything inside the shelter...!!

However.... my better half has witnessed my frustration....lol... and has agreed to allow me to build a 20' x 10' wooden one after the winter weather has gone....

....I'm just praying for the sunshine now....lol

.... Oh...and a 5.3lt V8 Chevy Truck !!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:37 pm 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

You also need airflow to dry out the damp and wet.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:26 am 
Hornet Lord

My garage is damp in the winter, last spring condensation was dripping from the engines and fuel tanks of my bikes.
That's what happens when you have a large thermal storage mass. It cools at night and takes a while to warm up each day. When the air suddenly gets warmer (& often more humid) your bike becomes a dehumidifier... :(
This will get worse if ventilation is increased.

This year I'm trying something different.
I have wrapped both my road bikes completely in a tent outer shell. This breathes but will keep the bikes clean and delay air movement through the "bubble".
I then placed a 12v PSU in there and put a 20W light bulb under the sump of each bike. So that's probably 50W of heat in that tent, I also have a temperature & humidity sensor in there so I can see it is always both warmer and dryer in there than the garage as a whole.

I know you can get several sealed bag type covers, some have coatings that protect, or just require you to vacuum them down. This would work fine for one bike I guess but I like to park mine close together to free up working space in there, and so decided the bags would likely get damaged in use. Plus I built mine for free as I had the stuff laying around anyway. :angel

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:55 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

knee_jerk wrote:
My garage is damp in the winter, last spring condensation was dripping from the engines and fuel tanks of my bikes.
That's what happens when you have a large thermal storage mass. It cools at night and takes a while to warm up each day. When the air suddenly gets warmer (& often more humid) your bike becomes a dehumidifier... :(
This will get worse if ventilation is increased.

This year I'm trying something different.
I have wrapped both my road bikes completely in a tent outer shell. This breathes but will keep the bikes clean and delay air movement through the "bubble".
I then placed a 12v PSU in there and put a 20W light bulb under the sump of each bike. So that's probably 50W of heat in that tent, I also have a temperature & humidity sensor in there so I can see it is always both warmer and dryer in there than the garage as a whole.

I know you can get several sealed bag type covers, some have coatings that protect, or just require you to vacuum them down. This would work fine for one bike I guess but I like to park mine close together to free up working space in there, and so decided the bags would likely get damaged in use. Plus I built mine for free as I had the stuff laying around anyway. :angel

Love it :clap

Glad you still visit.... have a good Christmas M8 :)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:10 pm 
Hornet Lord

You too mate. :)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:37 pm 
Hornet Lord

1st real test today and so far so good. :)

Went into the garage just now and sure enough there is condensation on my filing cabinets and my DRZ is almost dripping.
Checked the sensor on my bike tent and it's 90% humidity in there, stuck my head in for a visual and sure enough my two roadies are nice & dry.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion