Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post subject: SpaceX
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:38 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Just totally awesome, never thought I'd see this in my lifetime.

When I was a lad, men were walking on the moon, looked like a permanent moon base and a Mars landing would happen within a few years of this.

And then it all went quiet, space shuttle and skylab not withstanding. Budgets and politicians killed it.

I'm now optimistic that I'll see men on Mars before I shuffle off. Never thought I'd praise a guy who sells electric cars ....

And some tosser was writing in the Guardian about how depressing he found it all, 80 dead in Syria same day, overshadowed by SpaceX, money could be better spent back on Earth, ya da ya da ....

No recognisation of the technical advances that the space race has produced, same as in war time. Not to mention the 'eggs in one basket' situation that terrestrial based life exists in.

You missed the starting gun

Post subject: Re: SpaceX
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:30 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Yeah, Musk is an extraordinary guy, in the tradition of early 20th century tech pioneers and revolutionaries (like Nikola Tesla who he named his car company after) and putting a Tesla into space has to be the most incredible car advert of all time.

As you say - It's interesting the effect science and technology has on our perception of historical time - it's like historical time speeds up the more science and technology is going on - for example you could be living within a 2000 year technological 'rut' when nothing much changes or have lived in the 20th/21st century where technology starts moving forward at light speed - for example it's sometimes hard to grasp that the Wright Brothers made the first powered flight in the form of a brief hop and skip at the beach in something that looked like a box kite followed by men fighting each other just 41 years later in jet planes (ME262) and heavy bombers over the skies of Europe and to cap it all walking on the moon just 66 years later.

The Greek economist Yannis Varoufakis had an interesting take on this phenomenon in a Guardian interview a couple of years ago that stuck in my mind (plus the guy is a biker - he's got an XJR1300 so he has to be a good guy right? :D ):

When called upon to comment on the world we live in, I had no alternative but to fall back on the Marxist tradition which had shaped my thinking ever since my metallurgist father impressed upon me, when I was still a child, the effect of technological innovation on the historical process. How, for instance, the passage from the bronze age to the iron age sped up history; how the discovery of steel greatly accelerated historical time; and how silicon-based IT technologies are fast-tracking socioeconomic and historical discontinuities.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/feb/18/yanis-varoufakis-how-i-became-an-erratic-marxist

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm 
Johnny English

Go Elon !!!!! :clap :clap

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Wasn't it just a BIGGER version of the rockets they used back in seventies?

Basically it was a low range chemical rocket so until we use we're just 'monkeys' playing with fire.

Nice glitzzie show though, must of taken ages placing all those cameras on the car :clap

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:27 pm 
Needs to get out more!

The bit where the boosters hover back down to the the launch pad was fantastic.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:10 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

HOON98 wrote:
The bit where the boosters hover back down to the the launch pad was fantastic.

Agreed :clap

Though the use of jets for landing vertically is late 1960's tech... think

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:42 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Ah, the Harrier :)

Back in the day, a friends Dad had contacts in industry, and had got some working drawings of the Harrier. Amazingly crude the way that thrust was vectored. These days, you'd be thinking servo motors, controlled by computer, back then it was a mechanical chain drive to a big cog on the outside of the nozzle, operated manually by the pilot, who had to balance the thing by ear. Think helicopter pilot skills were essential to making the transition to P1127 / Harrier and variants.

Agreed, SpaceX is just a bigger version of what went before, Musk has already christened his next version the BFR, shades of the BFG in DooM.

My excitement and optimism was down to the fact that things are actually stirring again. All this could have happened 30 years ago if the bean counters and politicos had the will, almost a shame that the Cold War didn't go on a bit longer.

Books - Kim Stanley Robinsons 'Mars' trilogy is brilliant, as is the recent book by Andy Weir.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:25 pm 
Johnny English

The Falcon Heavy is the most powerful rocket in production and is based on the design of the Falcon 9 rocket used regularly by SpaceX to launch resupply missions to the International Space Station.

http://www.spacex.com/falcon9

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bda_1518223499

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion