Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:54 pm 
True Horneteer

To provide some context - I get about 15k out of my chains before they stretch out beyond the service limit, develop serious tight spots etc - (I could probably get more mileage with better maintenance).

The official advice it to change chain and sprockets as a set and at the same time which is advice I have followed - but each time I have noticed that after 15k the front and rear sprockets usually look fine - with no signs of wear or degradation - so why not set a new rule and replace the sprockets every 30k and every two chains instead? Seems silly to replace perfectly good, solid metal components just because the manufacturers and the Haynes manual say so?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:48 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

The 15k sprockets will have worn even if not obviously so, so if used with a new chain 'the less than perfect fit' (where chain meets sprocket) will accelerate the wear of both the new chain and the old sprockets.

Basically they'l eat each other quicker, and you may not get 15k from your new chain. :Bad

Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:48 pm 
True Horneteer

Yeah - I see where you are coming from - that makes sense - I'll stick to changing chain and sprockets as a set. Thanks Biggabit :D

p.s. good to hear from you man - you dropped off the radar recently - I was worried that you had sold the Hornet :eek ? :D

Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:40 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

HOON98 wrote:
p.s. good to hear from you man - you dropped off the radar recently - I was worried that you had sold the Hornet :eek ? :D

I'm good M8 the Hornet's still going strong, still enjoy riding and working on it. The last thing i did was clean the carbs i also fitted new inlet boots and vac extensions. (will post some pics below) These days i tend to ride the Viffer, the Hornet being more of a play thing when the weather's nice. I think she deserves a bit of a rest having served me so well over the years... she's now a semi retired fun machine. :angel

Hey Hoon here's a nicely done for you, i like the way this geezer does his reviews. :)

A few pics...

While the carb was off i decided to fit permanent carb balance vac extensions.

New inlet boots.

Carb back on.

Replacment breather filter.

Even with the easy accessed vac extensions... i still haven't got round to balancing them yet! :Bang but she runs very well.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:25 pm 
True Horneteer

Very nice job on the extensions :clap

Thanks for the RE review :D

Board index » The Lighter Side » Bike related Non-Hornet Discussion