Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:31 am 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Came across channel and he's gear reviews are brilliantly honest and well worth a look.

Check out his channel for some interesting reviews and vlogs... funny guy, he reminds me a bit of Quentin Tarantino.

"In my opinion beginners should not ride litre bikes, newbies listen up if some tells you to buy a thousand cc motorcycle.... errr they're probably trying to murder you."

Quote from the above video link :rollin

(Interesting comment section)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:15 am 
Needs to get out more!

Haven't watched the vids yet - but based on my own experience for performance riding the 600 class is much better on the road than a litre bike - the 600 has more than enough power, acceleration and top end for the road and the power and performance is easier to access for most riders - it's quite likely that most of us would be faster on a 600 on road and track than we would on a thousand - unless it's the kind of track with a very long straight where extra top end might tip the balance.

People will always want litre bikes though - because we are guys and we have egos and all want to have the biggest and mostest even if we don't need it or won't use it :p

Litre bikes are nice if you do a lot of commuting and are a bit lazy - as there are less gear changes - around town you can keep the thing in first for most of the time so it's a bit like having a big automatic scooter packing a massive amount of totally redundant horsepower :angel

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:23 am 
Darwin Award winner 2016

HOON98 wrote:
Haven't watched the vids yet - but based on my own experience for performance riding the 600 class is much better on the road than a litre bike - the 600 has more than enough power, acceleration and top end for the road and the power and performance is easier to access for most riders - it's quite likely that most of us would be faster on a 600 on road and track than we would on a thousand - unless it's the kind of track with a very long straight where extra top end might tip the balance.

People will always want litre bikes though - because we are guys and we have egos and all want to have the biggest and mostest even if we don't need it or won't use it :p

Litre bikes are nice if you do a lot of commuting and are a bit lazy - as there are less gear changes - around town you can keep the thing in first for most of the time so it's a bit like having a big automatic scooter packing a massive amount of totally redundant horsepower :angel

Agreed :clap

(I want one)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:26 am 
Darwin Award winner 2016

This one was made me laugh :lol

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:36 am 
Needs to get out more!

Quote:
(I want one)

lol! me too - have recently been scoping out a litre R1/GSXR project bike - never been any good at following my own advice :angel

Post Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:16 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Haven't watched the video, hate U tube in general.

However, is he talking about this country or the US ?

As I understand it, in some states over there anyone can simply buy and ride a 1000cc sports bike, regardless of previous experience, if any. With a T shirt and shorts for protective wear.

We all know the situation over here, very difficult system for new riders, by the time they get to a litre bike they'll have earned the right.

Based on my own experience, I'd say the problem here is with born agains. I passed my test back in the bad old days of 250cc L plates, test examiner on foot with a clipboard. Like many young blokes, I gave up bikes a couple of years after passing my test, then returned to bikes in middle age.

I could then have jumped straight onto a 'Blade or R1, and almost certainly killed myself. As it was, I had a year on a Kawasaki GPz305 to get my biking legs back again.

Then jumped onto a Hornet and nearly killed myself. Several times .......

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:36 am 
Needs to get out more!

Quote:
I could then have jumped straight onto a 'Blade or R1, and almost certainly killed myself. As it was, I had a year on a Kawasaki GPz305 to get my biking legs back again. .

Yeah, this is true.

I was doing about 400 miles a week all year round solidly for a few years as a commuting biker and in that time I'd say my riding skills got pretty sharp and my reflexes became very well developed, but since then a change of work location has drastically reduced my weekly mileage and exposure to the bike and the road - these days I get on the bike and automatically start riding at the kind of pace and tempo I was used to riding in the past when I was doing 1600 miles a month - except I can't - the reflexes are rusty and I end up catching myself out here and there and have to wind my neck in - something which wasn't a problem before - although I'm sure that I could get back to my previous standard after a couple of weeks if I put the necessary miles in.

It's easy to start taking your riding skills for granted and forget just how much you have learned over the years and the kind of skill and experience it takes to ride a bike well.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 am 
Victor Meldrew

My problem, and I suspect the same of other born again, was that I'd never owned a big bike due to lack of funds. As a more solvent middle aged bloke I could have bought something totally outside of my skill set, ridden it like a complete fit and totalled myself.

Despite my 305 experience, which did open my eyes to the way traffic had speeded up in the intervening 25 years, I still started out riding my shiny new Hornet like a complete tit. Calmed down a bit after a few scares and an incident with a van.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:48 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Yeah - same here - personally I could never justify blowing 10k on a bike when cheaper routes into motorcycle ownership are available - and over the last few years I've taken advantage of the fact that a lof the amazing litre and 750 bikes I was salivating over in the late 90s and early noughties that I couldn't afford at the time are now used 30,000 mile machines within relatively easy financial reach - refresh the suspension, tyres and brakes and you'll have something as near as dammit fast and fine handling as anything current out there.

I also have to admit that even after 20 years of solid riding bikes of various displacements an R1/GSXR is still well outside my skillset - but I guess I still want one quite simply because (paraphrasing George Mallory) 'they are there'.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am 
John Travolta (Are you Dancin'?)

Riding a litre bike is not as hard as you think, I currently have a k4 Gsxr 1000 they are relatively easier to ride than a 600. Like the 600 and 900 Hornet, the 900 is a lot less work to ride as it has much more grunt. Some like the way you have to work the 600 to make it perform.
Anyone can ride a 600cc or 1000cc bike without to much drama, the real issue is when you want to ride them fast.....that's what catches a lot of guys out, they get to a decent speed pretty quickly. For example a 1000cc sports bike will do around 100mph in first gear and leave most supercars for dead at a fraction of the cost. My advice is buy a 1000cc bike but respect the power, the bike will not kill you..........but temptation to use the power in an inappropriate place may.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:13 am 
Needs to get out more!

Hi Woodyee - I was wondering where you had got to - and then I remembered that you ran off with a GSXR Thou! :angel

Yeah - you are absolutely right - I think the 'respect the power' thing generally comes with maturity and experience - I cringe to think of some of the nutcases I used to knock around with when I was 18/19 swinging a leg over a litre sportsbike and where they would end up.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:16 pm 
Hornet Lord

I've been getting a strong urge to add a GSXR 1000 K7 to my stable... not that I need another but I just can't help it... :angel

Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:51 pm 
Johnny English

woodyeee wrote:
Riding a litre bike is not as hard as you think, I currently have a k4 Gsxr 1000 they are relatively easier to ride than a 600. Like the 600 and 900 Hornet, the 900 is a lot less work to ride as it has much more grunt. Some like the way you have to work the 600 to make it perform.
Anyone can ride a 600cc or 1000cc bike without to much drama, the real issue is when you want to ride them fast.....that's what catches a lot of guys out, they get to a decent speed pretty quickly. For example a 1000cc sports bike will do around 100mph in first gear and leave most supercars for dead at a fraction of the cost. My advice is buy a 1000cc bike but respect the power, the bike will not kill you..........but temptation to use the power in an inappropriate place may.

:clap :clap :clap

i been riding for nearly 40 years , R1,s , Fireblades , CBR600s , Hornets , list goes on , i totally agree with Daryl !

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:02 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
I think the 'respect the power' thing generally comes with maturity and experience

I'm nearly 64. Still waiting for maturity to arrive ...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:31 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Quote:
I'm nearly 64. Still waiting for maturity to arrive ...

Excellent! Proof positive that riding motorcycles keeps you young! :angel :clap

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle