Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:31 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Sorry about the click bait :angel

After suffering a side wall puncture the local garage quoted £75 to fit a replacement Cooper tyre, where as Oponeo stock the same tyre for £50 including postage.... well i couldn't resist.

So my DIY tyre fitting machine would work i had to reduce the size of that hole.
Drilled a 20mm hole into a piece of wood.
Couple of screws and a pair of drilled out ignition bolt heads (From triple tree replacement job)
Don't you just love it when something you never threw out comes to good use?
Job all done : sorry never took any action shots, was too eager to see how well it would go. EASY
My Aldi foot pump seated the bead with no problems... it's seated three tyres now!

Just need to find a way to balance it now.... there's one or two ideas on the internet but i might just take the wheel to a garage and concede the cost ... hopefully they won't charge 25 quid!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:01 pm 
True Horneteer

Good work :D

Interesting that you managed to seat the bead with a foot pump - I thought that a high pressure air line was de rigueur for seating beads :D

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:41 pm 
Hornet Lord

Time to change my front tyre so was looking at diy options. Was looking for Biggabits tyre changing machine when i saw this post.

Probably gonna construct similar for myself soon (will need to give the tyre guy £10 to put on the front this time round).

Last time i changed the front myself, I couldn't get it to seat.
Came across a tip on the internet. Put a ratchet strap around the tyre to force it down and form a seal with the wheel, pump up and once theres a decent amount of pressure in there, slowly release the ratchet strap. The pressure will cause the tyre to expand and will seat.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:58 pm 
Hornet Lord

Out of interest, how did you balance the wheel after?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

anz243k wrote:
Out of interest, how did you balance the wheel after?

Hey anz243k sorry for the delay... wasn't sure how to explain this as i hadn't taken any pics :Bang

I used a seal driver, bulls eye spirit level, a marble and my danmoto exhaust baffle. :angel

I couldn't find the actual glass marble i used, the rubber ball shown was too soft for this purpose.

Forgive the crap diagram but hopefully you'l get the idea. The seal driver was almost a perfect fit but to 'snug it up' and ensure that it remained absolutely central, i ran one layer of insulation tape around it which gave it a non rattle perfect fit! The Spirit level must also be 'dead central' so having positioned it i stuck it down with double sided tape.

Black = Tyre
Dark grey = Wheel
Light grey = Seal driver
Yellow/black = Bulls eye spirit level
Blue = Glass marble
Purple = Exhaust baffle (It was to hand... you could use any suitable prop)
Pink = My workbench of course!

I removed and manged to re use the clip on weights and got it balanced perfectly (according to the spirit level) Being a front wheel a test drive proved all was well, absolutely no steering wheel shake or vibration at all. (smooth as a nut in fact)

Having re fit the new tyre and wheel i decided to check the fairly worn spare I'd just removed and on the balancer it tipped to one side suggesting it was certainly in need of a re-balance. I don't think I've ever had a tyre re balanced mid way through it's life... i know you're supposed to but does anyone bother?

I got the idea for the balancer from (read through the comment section as some disagree whether this method can balance a car wheel/tyre correctly) and this

So there you go :)

P.s. again the comment section is worth a read. 8o

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:54 pm 
Hornet Lord

Hey Biggabit,

Thanks for the reply!!

Sorry for MY late response, been meaning to but never get the time to actually sit down and write.

I have been thinking about this a fair bit because my problem is I don't have suitable bits for this.

My bike rear is due for a change so need to sort out a rig like yours either with a duck or bar like a wheelmate thingy to get the tyre on and off.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:29 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

I can recommend the 'duck' it makes the job 'very easy'... i can't believe i used to use levers !

I think the french ducks are red.... P.s. Note the bubble balancer. :)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:21 pm 
Hornet Lord

I have a duck in my basket now but they've gone up to £20 for ones with the bolt holes (I'm thinking of bolting straight to bar/wood), all the cheaper ones just have round hole (don't have anything to rig that with right now)

Just slowly adding the other bits I need to the basket.

My current list of bits to get (feel free to criticise)
-duck
-tyre paste (anyone know the difference between tyre paste and tyre wax? seems about £2-5 difference)
-bead sealer (more for my knackered car rims)
-schrader valves (I do have a metal angled one I might use...but might be worth getting some spare to change out when changing tyre next - do they even need to be changed ?)
-dust caps

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:00 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

anz243k wrote:
I have a duck in my basket now but they've gone up to £20 for ones with the bolt holes (I'm thinking of bolting straight to bar/wood), all the cheaper ones just have round hole (don't have anything to rig that with right now)

Just slowly adding the other bits I need to the basket.

My current list of bits to get (feel free to criticise)
-duck
-tyre paste (anyone know the difference between tyre paste and tyre wax? seems about £2-5 difference)
-bead sealer (more for my knackered car rims)
-schrader valves (I do have a metal angled one I might use...but might be worth getting some spare to change out when changing tyre next - do they even need to be changed ?)
-dust caps

You will also need...

#A bead breaker.
#At least one tyre lever (to lever the tyre onto the duck)
# (Removing the valve core helps when seating the bead- air goes in faster)
#Wheel balancer. (I've got the portable type - without the stand - cost £20)
#Weights. (I like the ones as they're much smaller.)
# (Or similar to stop the wheel rotating.)
# (See below)
#Plus one more thing- see valve stem section later on in thread.

Below :angel

If you bolt the duck directly to the bar you won't have the clearance to dismount the second bead.
Notice how the duck is mounted to a long vertical bar allowing the tyre to come up. HERE https://youtu.be/kD0ktrr7lXg?t=27 AND HERE https://youtu.be/4MGmRZSiIIM?t=127 (The linky thing isn't working.)

obstructs the tyre when removing the second side. I could easily solve this by fitting another 'seat stem' and not cutting it so short :Bang (Or cutting the bar down one end)The reason i haven't bothered to correct this design fault is because the second side comes off easily with a single lever (Hence the rim protectors in the list above.)

Also.... if your duck is fixed to the bar (mine is adjustable and slides) you will have to position the duck under the rim first - then insert the pin through the arm and wheel. Then once you've used it - withdraw the centre pin then duck and arm. (No BIG deal and hope this makes sense)

Regards changing the valve stem;

...it depends whether it shows signs of perishing or not. Due to the minimal cost and ease of fitting a new one- i replace mine every time. Especially after (From a thread when i used to use just levers)

Add a valve stem puller to the list :) or make your own as i did.

Made my own stem puller using a metal dust cap, bent nail and coach nut and bolt. Drilled hole in top of cap passed a nail (like shown) through it then bent the end.

My latest DIY bead breaker. (I've also got a wooded version)

Viffers front strapped so it can't rotate. Notice the section of bar which over hangs and obstructs second side removal. I guess i could cut this section off - but i like to use the bar like a giant T bar. - pushing and pulling at the same time is effortless and keeps everything steady. My base isn't fixed to the floor.

Viffer wheel being balanced.

I think that's everything. :)

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle