Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle

Post subject: MOT failure
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Took the Hornet in for its annual MOT this morning, at the same bike shop I always get it tested at.

Returned to collect it an hour later, to find that it had FAILED !! :Bang :Bang

A bit alarmed at first, wondering what hidden dangerous fault had made my bike unroadworthy, especially as I have been 'enjoying' my riding lately.

Turned out that it had failed, and requires immediate rectification and a retest, because it doesn't have a number plate lamp. It hasn't had one for at least 15 years, every since I fitted an aftermarket LED rear light. Chap in the shop was apologetic, but reckons the MOT rules have changed recently.

Not a big deal, a pair of LED number plate bolts will cure this, but blimmin daft, especially with my loud(ish) exhaust, small number plate, just hope those don't get picked on next.

Not worth arguing about, but here's my rear light. I thought that the opaque white panel at the base shed sufficient light on the number plate.

You missed the starting gun

Last edited by richard pitman on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MOT failure
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:48 pm 
Knob Magnet

haha they didnt notice my lack of No plate light this time :angel

370Steve

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:16 am 
Victor Meldrew

MOT passed yesterday, after I'd fitted a couple of LED number plate bolts.

Also had a pair of Michelin Road 5 tyres fitted at the same time. Mechanic had to modify my rear hugger to get them on, they seem to have a higher crown than the previous PR3 fitted. They feel very nice, but then, new tyres usually do. In the heat yesterday slick edges felt like chewing gum when I got home. Usual advice to take it easy for first 100 miles, but difficult to get around local roundabouts without leaning it over !

While at the shop, I asked about a loan bike and was told, no problem , take any bike on the forecourt. They suggested the MT10, and laughed when I said there was no way I was going to ride that. I settled on an MT07, but then discovered that as well as my driving licence ( as expected ), they now also require National Insurance number, which of course I hadn't a clue about, and no one at home that I could phone to find it. Still, offer still stands next time I go there, although the thought of hopping off a 50 year old Honda 175 onto a 160bhp super naked still boggles my mind.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:09 am 
True Horneteer

Quote:
They suggested the MT10

I think I'll be popping over to your local bike shop for my next MOT and take advantage of their loan bike facilities! Even if it is over 100 miles away! :angel

Fitted some Pirelli Angel STs to my CBR recently - sport touring jobs - in the hot weather it felt like I was glued to the road and the feedback was amazing. Must be similar to the experience track riders get after fitting tyre warmers and getting the chance to properly spin their tyres up to the optimum operating temperature.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:43 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
I think I'll be popping over to your local bike shop for my next MOT and take advantage of their loan bike facilities!

To be fair, I guess it's basic sales technique. 20 years ago the same shop let a clueless born again ride off on a brand new Hornet, just asked not to thrash it too much. Guess what I ended up buying ...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:54 pm 
True Horneteer

Quote:
To be fair, I guess it's basic sales technique. 20 years ago the same shop let a clueless born again ride off on a brand new Hornet, just asked not to thrash it too much. Guess what I ended up buying ...

Ha! Can't say I'm surprised you bought the Hornet - I'd been riding a Suzuki Bandit for a couple of years back in the 90s - first ride on a Hornet and I was totally blown away by how much better it was than the Suzuki (which wasn't a bad bike either) - faster, better handling, lighter - and crucially just a lot more fun.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle