Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:31 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Let's be fair here and I'm sure many of you who work the 'tools' will understand, as a mechanic it goes against every cell in my body to deliberately damage or break something that is working just fine. We respect engineering & work with it, rather than against it. Fixing something, giving it new life, is what we do & for me at least, it feels great to be able to do it (most of the time!).

So....deliberately causing damage to to an engine, especially one that, despite been parked up for over 18 months, started straight back up at the turn of the key.....one that just 'wants' to live, is a problem for me..

However, that said, this car, our 'paddock basher' had been given it's last rights & was flagged for the scrap yard, so why not give it a send off, a pl;ace in history, eternally etched into YouTube's servers & make a video showing it's last stand.

So....enjoy.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 pm 
True Horneteer

Reminds me of a 'Bike' magazine article about 15 years ago - they wanted to see what it would take to destroy a bike engine so they took an old Kawasaki ZX6R and stuck it inside a test chamber - if I remember rightly first they drained the coolant and set the throttle wide open - the Kwak survived the 12000 rev thrashing for about ten minutes with zero cooling and amazingly refused to die - so in order to kill it they decided to drain 90% of the oil and see how it would cope with that - again like Rasputin the Kwak refused to kick the bucket and just sat on it's sidestand engine revving it's tits off for a good few minutes, gradually being enveloped in a pall of smoke, after about ten minutes sparks started to fly out of the exhaust and a short while later the bike gave up the fight with an ear shattering piston seizing bang.

Engines are often a lot tougher than we give them credit for.

Could be worth digging out the article, scanning and posting up.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:52 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

HOON98 wrote:
Reminds me of a 'Bike' magazine article about 15 years ago - they wanted to see what it would take to destroy a bike engine so they took an old Kawasaki ZX6R and stuck it inside a test chamber - if I remember rightly first they drained the coolant and set the throttle wide open - the Kwak survived the 12000 rev thrashing for about ten minutes with zero cooling and amazingly refused to die - so in order to kill it they decided to drain 90% of the oil and see how it would cope with that - again like Rasputin the Kwak refused to kick the bucket and just sat on it's sidestand engine revving it's tits off for a good few minutes, gradually being enveloped in a pall of smoke, after about ten minutes sparks started to fly out of the exhaust and a short while later the bike gave up the fight with an ear shattering piston seizing bang.

Engines are often a lot tougher than we give them credit for.

Could be worth digging out the article, scanning and posting up.

That's interesting Hoon 8o

Reminds me of CBR engine dying on a dyno

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:42 pm 
True Horneteer

Wow - you can hear the con-rod break and start destroying the crankcase :eek

Hello Sir - the Dyno is telling us your engine is fooked :angel

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

I wonder if a might averted the disaster?

Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:07 pm 
True Horneteer

Absolutely brilliant - really shows what happens inside an engine - so much better than a diagram.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

So it's time to see what damage those ball bearings & iron filings did to the inside of the Nissan Sentra engine & work out what caused the engine to finally give up the ghost?

I must admit, this video turned out very different to how I expected?

Andy Mechanic.

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle