Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle

Post subject: Thoughts on tailgaters?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:53 am 
Hornet Lord

Happy new year to all bikers and non bikers who frequent this excellent forum.

I'm not on about moving tailgaters, they can usually be dealt with by a short open throttle or to filter to a few cars down the traffic flow.... I'm talking about the twocers who feel it their life work to stop an inch from your rear tyre in traffic.

I usually leave a gap into which I can move into a couple of times and the tailgater usually takes the hint but this morning there was a particularly determined twat who got out on the wrong side of life and fell into his mid life crisis golf gti (or whatever boy racer mark his mid management pay packet affords).

Perhaps he didn't get anything for Christmas? :finger

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:18 am 
Needs to get out more!

When someone invades your personal space - whether it's on a bike or walking down the pavement it's entirely natural and normal for fight or flight psychology to kick in - best policy is to try and overcome your natural instincts and ignore the provocation - so long as they don't make contact - and then it's up to you how how to respond based on the circumstances.

However - talking from personal experience it's much easier to give sensible advice than follow it :angel - many a time I've left in the morning determined to have a calm ride into London and then inevitably some twat cuts me up on the motorway and nearly wipes me out and the red mist descends :Bang

When you are riding a bike in heavy traffic you are in a very vulnerable situation and are much more likely to end up toast if you or someone else makes a mistake than the car driver protected by a ton and a half of metal and airbags - so your survival instincts are dialled right up on a motorcycle and consequently it's very easy to lose your temper when someone (usually in a car) does something stupid or get's too close - but yeah - if you can - just ignore it - getting into bother over this kind of stuff just isn't worth it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:03 pm 
Johnny English

HOON98 wrote:
When someone invades your personal space - whether it's on a bike or walking down the pavement it's entirely natural and normal for fight or flight psychology to kick in - best policy is to try and overcome your natural instincts and ignore the provocation - so long as they don't make contact - and then it's up to you how how to respond based on the circumstances.

However - talking from personal experience it's much easier to give sensible advice than follow it :angel - many a time I've left in the morning determined to have a calm ride into London and then inevitably some twat cuts me up on the motorway and nearly wipes me out and the red mist descends :Bang

When you are riding a bike in heavy traffic you are in a very vulnerable situation and are much more likely to end up toast if you or someone else makes a mistake than the car driver protected by a ton and a half of metal and airbags - so your survival instincts are dialled right up on a motorcycle and consequently it's very easy to lose your temper when someone (usually in a car) does something stupid or get's too close - but yeah - if you can - just ignore it - getting into bother over this kind of stuff just isn't worth it.

:clap
great advice, but as you say , at times ,red mist descends and its " easier said than done" when your life has just been into deep doubt, by some idiot

In my nearly 40 years of biking I have seen all sorts , overall i found either shoot off , or let them go past , is the best option to avoid them and their lack of brain cells.

Always remember though ultimately you will come off worse than them, even if you are in the right.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:01 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Yeah, spot on Paul, and hostility from car drivers is mostly just pure jealousy as they know that we are going to get to work a lot faster than them and are having a lot more fun while we're doing it :angel

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:21 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

HOON98 wrote:

:clap

My daily commute is mostly busy dual carriage way... and i deal with tail gaiters by making it obvious i'm watching them, either by doing a couple of exaggerated mirror checks and if that don't work a shoulder check MotoGp style, where you turn your whole body. 9 times out of 10 they usually get the message and are rewarded with a friendly hand gesture. :thumbup

Those who won't take a hint.... at the earliest opportunity i'l put a cage or two between them and myself whether by doing an over take or a carefully planned undertake, but ALWAYS with a cool head and with NONE of the following gestures. :finger :Bad :blahblah :moon :knts :thumbdown :taunt

What i never do is allow some tosser alter my emotional state of mind or distract me. I firmly believe that its my responsibility ALONE whether i live or die riding my bikes. Bigger the fool who allows a fool cloud his judgement.

Better to be courteous and hopefully create a 'biker friendly cager' who'l treat the next biker they come across with the respect and decency they deserve rather than as the enemy.

It's a form of education really... now go educate them stupid cagers!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 pm 
Victor Meldrew

It's easy to talk about self preservation after the event, but the 'red mist' does descend all too easily.

The other weekend, as a pedestrians out walking our dogs, I crossed the road too slowly in the opinion of one of our local boy racers, driving his POS little hatch back at 40-50mph in a 30 limit.

He blasted his horn at me, so I responded with the appropriate gesture, thinking that was the end of the story. However, he braked hard, then reversed back up the road level with me, and wound his window down.

I don't know what he expected me to do. In the event, I handed my dog lead to my wife, and quick marched across to him. Red mist firmly in control, I was fully prepared to punch his face in, and I guess he read this in my body language, because he spat out of the window and drove off quite smartly.

Not sensible or justifiable behaviour from a short arsed pensioner I know, consequences could have been serious on several levels, but when rage gets the better of us we tend to behave like our ancestors ...

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:05 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Yeah - agree with all the above - and will reiterate that I am absolutely crap at following my own advice - another thing to remember is that more and more cars have dash cams for insurance purposes these days - so if you do lose it you could end up on video and plastered all over the internet making a right tit of yourself :lol

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:09 pm 
Johnny English

HOON98 wrote:
Yeah - agree with all the above - and will reiterate that I am absolutely crap at following my own advice - another thing to remember is that more and more cars have dash cams for insurance purposes these days - so if you do lose it you could end up on video and plastered all over the internet making a right tit of yourself :lol

yup good point too , i have a helmet cam , and it does help me with the "red mist" issue also, so its beneficial to me in more ways than one :angel

It wouldnt be good to be in court and the judge/jury looks at the video footage as evidence of you beating some idiot car driver up , and that evidence is from your own helmet cam 8o 8o

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:43 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Quote:
yup good point too , i have a helmet cam , and it does help me with the "red mist" issue also, so its beneficial to me in more ways than one :angel

It wouldnt be good to be in court and the judge/jury looks at the video footage as evidence of you beating some idiot car driver up , and that evidence is from your own helmet cam 8o 8o

Yeah - I've heard of guys on Busas etc with cams set up to film the bike's speedo doing Busa type three figure speeds to post up afterwards on youtube and after a crash/pull the footage being recovered by the old bill and used in court against them :Bang

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 am 
Victor Meldrew

Off at a tangent, but I remember reading a story, back in the days of dial up internet and message boards, alt.rec.motorcyles or something like that.

A biker got into an argument with a cager, ended up stationary on a flyover somewhere in London. Biker leaned in through car window, whipped the keys out of the ignition and chucked them over the edge of the flyover. :lol

Bet that caused some traffic chaos ...

Wouldn't work these days, with keyless ignitions. Point about video well taken.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Back to the OP

You could try fitting a rear facing camera and wear a printed warning (back of helmet, top box or bib) regards the £100 fine and 3 penalty points awarded to tail gaters.

You might look a dick, but it would be interesting to see if you suffered less tailgaters. 8o

It's great having a law to prohibit tailgating, but what use is it if it is never enforced? Most drivers I see don't even know thay they ARE tailgating... I'm a driving instructor and have signs on the back of my car saying 'Beware of sudden stops' I also have a sign reminding people of the fine and the penalty points - it makes no difference. I'm a tailgated by at least 90% of cars - and I have L pates too! Just how stupid does someone have to be to tailgate a learner who may be on their first driving lesson and could panic and hit the brakes at any moment?!! I can't wait for the day I can retire (if I live that long)

Above comment from

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 pm 
Hornet Lord

It's been a long week so far and I have had numerous arse sniffers of the vehicular type.

I have had a rear facing camera but need to upgrade it with a continuous loop recording type as formatting the memory every week is a ballache.

On a lighter note, I let a cyclist (wearing all black) know that he didn't have his light on, consequently turned on and might have even saved him from some inconvenience, and I also stopped to assist a cyclist who got doored right in front of me by a passenger bolting from the car standing in traffic.

Today, a cyclist again, had a little chat with me and wished me a nice ride in the murky weather, I wished him safe ride too.

Who says all cyclists are bad? :angel

Soon be the weekend people :Beer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:54 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Yeah - people surprise (by being decent) and disappoint (by being total gits) in equal measure I guess - you think the worst of people and then you find out that a lot of people are actually quite decent when it comes to the crunch and then you feel guilty for being so misanthropic - and then you watch the news and see an item about war crimes or something equally unspeakable and you are back at square one regarding your assessment of the human race.

I'm sure I've surprised and disappointed various people along the way - hopefully I've surprised people more than disappointed them :angel

:Beer

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:29 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

HOON98 wrote:
Yeah - people surprise (by being decent) and disappoint (by being total gits) in equal measure I guess - you think the worst of people and then you find out that a lot of people are actually quite decent when it comes to the crunch and then you feel guilty for being so misanthropic - and then you watch the news and see an item about war crimes or something equally unspeakable and you are back at square one regarding your assessment of the human race.

I'm sure I've surprised and disappointed various people along the way - hopefully I've surprised people more than disappointed them :angel

:Beer

I'l drink to that :Beer

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:56 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Quote:
I'l drink to that :Beer

:Beer :angel

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle