Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:17 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

That sound and pipe work! :love

Interesting comment section :)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:03 am 
Needs to get out more!

Love it!

The more I learn about bikes and mechanics the more I understand the love these guys have for those old strokers - from the skills needed to ride the bike to the technology which was a much rawer (aka scarier) and more involving biking experience in comparison to high-tech modern machines which have become so refined it's possible that they insulate the rider too much from the mechanical/physical sensations traditionally associated with motorcycling.

If I had the spare moola I would love to own one of these old bikes from the era when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous . . . :angel

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm 
Victor Meldrew

I remember how we gasped at the performance of the original 500cc Kawa Mach 3, and when the 750 version came out folks called it the 'widow maker'.

Although, to put it into perspective, our little newby friendly CB600 Hornet would leave either of those bikes standing. Same goes for the then awesome Kawa Z1 four.

One lad had a Suzuki 750 'kettle', fitted with a 3 into 1 expansion chamber. Ridiculous idea from the performance point of view, but it sounded fantastic. I was never that keen on the noise from the Kawasaki triples, bean cans being dragged down the road comes to mind.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:17 pm 
Victor Meldrew

How about this for a big two stroke ?

One of Allen Millyards bikes, which I photographed back in 2015.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:24 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Quote:
Although, to put it into perspective, our little newby friendly CB600 Hornet would leave either of those bikes standing. Same goes for the then awesome Kawa Z1 four.

Yeah, that really does puts things into perspective.

I guess part of the thrill of riding the old bikes was that because the technology and components were cruder they were harder to ride fast and you could find (or exceed) the edges of handling and braking on these bikes much more easily than on more modern machinery - the engine development in this era was outstripping the supporting components ability to cope with the increased power - consequently the bike could get seriously out of shape if you were not too careful - and you could easily find yourself tying the frame, suspension and tyres etc up in knots.

Quote:
I was never that keen on the noise from the Kawasaki triples, bean cans being dragged down the road comes to mind.

:lol yeah, that squares with some of the comments I've read about Kawasaki compared to Suzuki 2 strokes of this era - apparently people were impressed by how refined the Suzuki engines felt and sounded compared to the rougher edged Kawas - come to think of it even my 90s four stroke Kawasaki ZX7R used to sound pretty rough on tickover (reminded me of an old London taxi . . . :lol )

That Millyard Kawasaki is a proper man's bike - you definitely need chest hair and a splash of Hai Karate! aftershave to ride one of those things :angel

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 pm 
That was some break!!!

In my early teens before I was old enough to ride I would avidly read all the bike mags ("Bike" was my favorite)
The Kawa triples had a fearsome reputation for speed and poor handling but I loved them.

I finally bought an H2 750 when I had a bit of spare cash in my early thirties (before I got hitched).

The dream wasn't as good as the reality. The handling was actually not too bad but it sounded faster than it actually was and the smelly 2 stroke exhaust, that I once loved (Fizzie and RD 200), didn't do it for me anymore.

My next bike was the complete opposite, a 1100 Virago which I went to the TT on and had many happy years with before chucking biking for about ten years when my kids came along.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:10 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Quote:
The dream wasn't as good as the reality. The handling was actually not too bad but it sounded faster than it actually was and the smelly 2 stroke exhaust, that I once loved (Fizzie and RD 200), didn't do it for me anymore.

Yeah, I guess it's easy to suffer from rose tinted spectacles regarding bikes and other stuff which we lusted after in our youth, particularly after being exposed to more modern engines, power, handling, brakes, tyres, etc. Thanks for the reality check! :angel

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle