Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle

Post subject: Call Centers
 Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:30 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Possibly a racist rant, but here goes …..

I get my phones, ( land line and mobiles ) plus my broad band from BT, my regular banking is with HSBC.

So, why don't they employ call centre staff who can all speak clear unaccented English ? It varies, I've spoken to some who could get a job as a newsreader on the BBC, but some of the others I've just had to give up, completely unintelligible. OK, that makes me sound like Catherine Tates Gran, but am I bothered ?

Reason for this rant. Phone went today, unrecognised long number, guy on the other end starts talking in a very heavy ? Indian ? accent, something about my computer, couldn't understand him. As it happens, I was on line at the time. Assuming it was a scam, I just hung up on him.

But a couple of weeks back, my router Wifi died, and I went through the BT call centre to get it replaced, person on that call obviously didn't have English as their native tongue. It is possible that todays call was a follow up courtesy call, who knows ?

Don't suppose Brexit will sort this out .....

You missed the starting gun

Post subject: Re: Call Centers
 Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:33 pm 
True Horneteer

I think public criticism of overseas call centers has prompted a gradual change of policy at companies like BT - I called BT last week about a broadband problem and the BT operative introduced themselves (in an English accent) as being Middllesbrough based.

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:44 am 
Hornet Lord

I found with one provider (possible BT) that the overseas call centre was a back up. I use to ask them where they are based before I started talking to them and if it wasn't UK I wouldn't bother.

Then again..., I was one of the lucky bunch who got their details hacked from TalkTalk, so many calls about my broadband router generating errors that needed them to run Teamviewer on my PC to fix. Luckily I have time to waste on these people and consider I'm doing a public service by tying them up for 30 mins.
You wouldn't believe the swear words they know, almost all of them.. :angel

Last edited by knee_jerk on Wed May 08, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
so many calls about my broadband router generating errors that needed them to run Teamviewer on my PC to fix

That was my thought, that some one was going to try to talk me into installing something nasty on my PC. I know a couple of trusting souls who have fallen for that one.

You missed the starting gun

Board index » The Lighter Side » Waffle