Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Trading Post » For Sale & Wanted

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:55 pm 
Hornet Baby

There's been lots of discussion on here about stiffer front springs of various makes and types. if anybody tried some and found that they were too stiff I'd like to uprate my own rather tired standard ones. Now with new hoses and fluid I feel like a crash-diving submarine every time I brake and I'm certainly no 'demon late-breaker' What have you got in your spares piles?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:57 am 
Septic Baiter !

There's a lot of bollocks talked about stiffer springs.
Before you start swapping springs, what are your static and rider sag measurements?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:46 pm 
Hornet Baby

Hello Tifa, Too late was the cry! Since I regularly drive in Bradford, where the slogan is: 'if in doubt, pull out' I am always mentally asking for better brakes. I had already fitted new lines and fluid and replaced a bent disc. Even before that the front would go down like Tom Daley if I even looked at the brake lever.
I was having my ebay sourced secondhand Maxton Shock rebuilt already so asked them to supply a pair of springs, specifying my body weight and the fact that I am unlikely to trouble any one in the fast group of mobility scooters that terrorise my local post office, looking more for ride quality than precision handling. Having installed everything the bike sits a lot higher so I tried to get my partner to help me with measuring sag today to set a base position and go from there. Unfortunately I am 'impatient and a clever shit' in my giving of simple instructions in the employment of the rocket science that is needed to use a tape measure so I'll have to wait until more reliable assistance is available tomorrow.
Do you have target sag figures to aim-for? The back is relatively easy to set but I am guessing that I'll have to trim the spacers to get closer to the front sag. The Maxton springs are 40mm or so shorter than standard so the spacers have to be 40mm longer to compensate, which means that I have plenty of room for trimming. They specify 5wt oil and a 150mm air gap. I have used 15wt as I think that the 5wt is when you have had your forks fettled but I am waiting for them to come back after Easter and let me know what the correct figures are.
I'd be happy to hear your thoughts or to be pointed in the direction of tge relevant information on the site. Cheers Martin

Board index » The Trading Post » For Sale & Wanted