Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » The Trading Post » For Sale & Wanted

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:22 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Hi guys just gauging interest in my 1978 Z1300 with under 17000 miles on it.
Condition is good and tidy and runs very nicely. These seem to be going for £10k plus in the UK in good nik and I'm looking for £5750 no offers which will include freight from New Zealand to Southampton. Industrial pasta extruder forces sale I kid you not.

I can get my hands on some nice classics over here at significantly less than in Britain so if anyone's interested in making a tidy profit importing them give me a yell.
Please note I'm not a Nigerian prince out to scam people of their hard earned and will obviously provide bonafides
cheers
oliver

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138609629 ... 2141618722

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:54 pm 
Hornet Lord

Hi Oliver

Just out of interest, could you put a link up to your most used local bike trader sites please?
Also what are the typical charges for shipping a bike to the UK, and the shipping time?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:48 am 
Hornet Warrior

knee_jerk wrote:
Hi Oliver

Just out of interest, could you put a link up to your most used local bike trader sites please?
Also what are the typical charges for shipping a bike to the UK, and the shipping time?

Hey bud,
shipping would be around 50 days to 3 months but most companies seem to be 48ish days quoted. cost is around 2000 nzd including crating from Lyttelton Christchurch (which is my nearest port) to Southampton. Im based in the south island so I would be mainly sourcing bikes from local classifieds as eBay doesn't really have a presence here. these are a few of the sites I browse but mainly its word of mouth and quite old-school unsurprisingly being NZ lol. Bikes Ive seen lately include 1940's Indians and a restored rd250lc at 3k gbp less than in the uk.
http://www.motorcyclealley.co.nz/buy/used-motorcycles/
https://www.turners.co.nz/motorcycles-s ... 4&pageno=1
https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/trader.php
cheers
Oliver

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:20 am 
Hornet Lord

Thanks for that :)

Is it just classics that a underpriced in NZ?

I picked on a modern'ish bike, an 05 GSXR1000 which was 8,000 NZD, with the shipping added that would make it £5,184 in the UK.
Locally that bike can be purchased for £4,300 to £5,000.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:22 pm 
Hornet Warrior

knee_jerk wrote:

Post subject: Re: Kawasaki Z1300 For sale 17000 miles Reply with quote
Thanks for that :)

Is it just classics that a underpriced in NZ?

I picked on a modern'ish bike, an 05 GSXR1000 which was 8,000 NZD, with the shipping added that would make it £5,184 in the UK.
Locally that bike can be purchased for £4,300 to

Yeah anything "modern" in NZ (which here is anything made after 1990 lol) are silly expensive. just saw a 2000 cbr600f sell for £3500. saying that id be surprised if youd get a decent UK k5/k6 gsxr for less than £5k which was the price a few years back and theyre appreciating. classics are where its at here especially 70's muscle bikes, strokers and vintage indians (mostly ww2 vintage) and harleys. also because of the climate and lack of gritting bikes last better here too.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:33 pm 
Hornet Baby

Well, I don't want to be inpolite.

But, to be honest, this is definitely not the condition that would be a 10k+ GBP bike over here (which means: in Germany). Yes, the mileage is low. No, it isn't in a condition that I would call "quite okay".

The bike has been dropped to the right, the entire exhaust needs replacement, gas tank is flawed on the right hand side. The engine is badly oxygenized and I would bet that there is rust inside the tank -the fuel filter won't be necessary if there would be none. So, the SIX carbs (yes, it is the old Z1300, not the DFI one) may need an expensive rebuild or some professional maintenance. Left frame cover is broken, the seat cover is damaged. Brake fluid has been spilled and ruined the painting. Shock absorbers are looking awful. In conclusion, it might be a starting basis for a restoration, but you'll have to invest some thousand pounds to get that one in a mint, good running condition.

In my opinion: no bargain at all, sorry.

1998 CB600F PC34
2003 CB900F SC48
2001 CB500S PC32
1981 XL185S L185S

Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:49 am 
Hornet Warrior

Flyingbrick wrote:
this is definitely not the condition that would be a 10k+ GBP bike over here (which means: in Germany). Yes, the mileage is low. No, it isn't in a condition that I would call "quite okay".

The bike has been dropped to the right, the entire exhaust needs replacement, gas tank is flawed on the right hand side. The engine is badly oxygenized and I would bet that there is rust inside the tank -the fuel filter won't be necessary if there would be none. So, the SIX carbs (yes, it is the old Z1300, not the DFI one) may need an expensive rebuild or some professional maintenance. Left frame cover is broken, the seat cover is damaged. Brake fluid has been spilled and ruined the painting. Shock absorbers are looking awful. In conclusion, it might be a starting basis for a restoration, but you'll have to invest some thousand pounds to get that one in a mint, good running condition.

It isn't a 10k bike its a £5750 bike which runs and rides fine and leaves the new owner the better part of 4k to do with what they want. mainly it would be a cosmetic restoration assuming you want a showpony and the knowledge that the work has been done to the new owners standard. Or an interesting weekend bike if you prefer the 4 grand as petrol money. we have six monthly mot's here on bikes pre 2000 which are as stringent as in the UK so any issues get picked up and you are making silly assumptions about the running condition of the bike judgeing on pictures. may get some youtube videos up.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:29 am 
Hornet Baby

Wait...you told us that this one would be worth 10,000 in Europe but is available as a bargain for 5,750.

Call me silly but I've restored more than 100 bikes in my life.
So, I think I know what I'm talking about.
But perhaps you're right. In this case the bike will be sold soon to the happy next owner.
Keep us informed ;)

1998 CB600F PC34
2003 CB900F SC48
2001 CB500S PC32
1981 XL185S L185S

Board index » The Trading Post » For Sale & Wanted