Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 250 » Mechanical & Electrical

Post subject: Changing Fork oil.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:27 pm 

Hello guys, I wanna ask if it's possible to change fork oil without dismantling.
I can't find a drain plug? Is there any? I've got the first Hornet 250, CB250FT 96 I think.

Also I guess using 10W fork oil would be the recommended, also for that model it's 400ML per fork? Please let me know.

I don't wanna mess with dismantling, I just wanna drain and put new oil, I had an oil seal leak, and fixed it by cleaning the inside of the fork oil seal.
I just wanna fill oil without the need of changing the seals.
I know I can just fill oil randomly, but I wanna drain everything and put the correct ammount, I don't even know how much it's left inside.

Is there any way to do it?
Thanks in regards!

Post subject: Re: Changing Fork oil.
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:56 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

No drain plug.

To do the job properly you have to take them off the bike.

It's not difficult i also painted mine while they were off.

However... you could try this method. (see bottom of page)
http://pantablo500.tripod.com/id2.html

Or this.
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php? ... e-on-bike/

Just make sure the bike is supported when you take out the fork top bolts.... or only take one off, do that fork, replace then do the other fork.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:00 am 
Hornet Pilot

First of, I do not have a 250, but a 600 and the procedure is relatively simple:

1. support the front (and rear) on pit stands, where the front pit-stand is of the type that goes into the the head (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/vortex-front-head-lift-stand)
2. Remove brake calibers and wheel
3. Lossen the top bolt slightly while the forks are still fastened in the bridge
4. Take the forks out of the briges
5. Remove the top bolts while keeping some pressure on them to ao┬┤void them jumping into your face due to the spring tension
6. Empty old oil from the forks (leave them upside down for a few hours to drain the last oil)
7. Fill in new oil to the required level (I don't have the level in my head, but do not go for a volume, but the gap from the oil level to the top of the forks) using a syringe and a small tube like this: http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/images/products/tools/Motion_Pro_Suspension_Fork_Oil_Level_Gauge_UTL0096.jpg - you should be able to find a manuel online that states the correct level
8. Reassemble everything

This is a good 1-2hour job the first time.

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:22 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys, I've found out in here that the quantity is 400 ML, there is nowhere a comment about the gap measurement...
So I guess I have to take them apart and rebuild the thing is that I stopped my oil leak and the fork seals costs 25Euro each, which is 50 euro in total, add the oil.. and yeah that's some money.
Also I have tons of other problems and parts need replacement like tires, chain & sprockets etc, and also my low rpm struggling problem.
Anyway thanks a lot :D.

Board index » Hornet 250 » Mechanical & Electrical