Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 250 » Mechanical & Electrical

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:18 pm 

Hello guys, I wanted to swap my turn signals into LED's.
I had my front signal LED's since I bought it, they worked fine but they were flashing fast.
Fixed it by installing the electronic module and removing the stock one.

Now I've tried to swap my rear ones too.
If I install the rear ones, all my turn signals flash at the same time! And the Turn signal indicator on dashboard doesn't light up at all.
So I can only have front LED's.
BTW I have swapped that dashboard signal bulb to a LED before and it works only one way, any tips on that too?

Thanks!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am 

ExTaCy1337 wrote:
Hello guys, I wanted to swap my turn signals into LED's.
I had my front signal LED's since I bought it, they worked fine but they were flashing fast.
Fixed it by installing the electronic module and removing the stock one.

That's normal on almost any vehicle with standard filament bulbs as indicators. The stock indicator relay module switches to a fast flashing mode when it detects a low load. This is to show the rider/driver that one or more of your indicator lights failed. An electronically controlled indicator module uses a fixed timing interval and can handle LEDs correctly.

ExTaCy1337 wrote:
Now I've tried to swap my rear ones too.
If I install the rear ones, all my turn signals flash at the same time! And the Turn signal indicator on dashboard doesn't light up at all.
So I can only have front LED's.
BTW I have swapped that dashboard signal bulb to a LED before and it works only one way, any tips on that too?

That's weird. Check your wiring and polarity.
I use LEDs front and rear, have no issues.

Remember that most cheap LED lights require a certain polarity, so they only work one way. More sophisticated automotive LED lights tend to have additional internal electronics which can handle either polarity. Standard light bulbs also don't care about polarity.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:07 pm 

Thanks for your reply. Yes indeed I know that, my car LED are flashing fast too, but I lef them like that, as one of my electronic flashers 3 PIN that I tried didn't work so I didn't even bother :P.

this is my module:
https://www.lampa.it/it-ww/90126-interm ... 4v.aspx#!/

https://www.lampa.it/it-ww/90091-arrow- ... ed.aspx#!/
Those are my LED's front and rear, using LED's front and normal bulbs in the back and dash indicator stock too and all works correctly.
If I use LED's on the rear I get that all 4 flashing.
Searching on the internet I Found out that I need to change the dash indicator to either LED (But that works only in 1 way), either remove the dash bulb, either add 2 diodes on the dash bulb wiring and adding an earth.Because it is backfeeding or something.

Do you own a CB250FT? Maybe your wiring is different on another model. Do you have a single dash bulb indicator ? Or are they 2?

EDIT: Actually just noticed that even with the rear normal bulbs the other one on the rear is still flashing! Although it's very dim to notice!
Rear cables looks good, color coded. And there was only 1 way I could connect the rear LED Flash to work. Green ground with black from LED's.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:39 am 

ExTaCy1337 wrote:
this is my module:
https://www.lampa.it/it-ww/90126-interm ... 4v.aspx#!/
... I get that all 4 flashing.

That wiring diagram is weird. Something is missing from it. If you wire it as shown, all 4 lights will light up at the same time.
Try to use a multimeter to find out the correct connections. Remember, sometimes the Japanese switch over ground to turn on/off certain lights. But I'm not sure if that's the case on the Hornet. I think I saw a complete wiring diagram somewhere...

ExTaCy1337 wrote:
Do you own a CB250FT? Maybe your wiring is different on another model. Do you have a single dash bulb indicator ? Or are they 2?

Mine is a F1 model from 2002. But the wiring should be generally the same... maybe except for the wiring of the fuel gauge instead of the water temp gauge on some older models.
But I don't use the original clocks. I have replaced them with a Koso RX2-N dash, which has all LED indicators.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:15 pm 

I didn't even read that connection diagram till you uploaded it.
Also I never visited their website, my previous owner gave them to me, as he didn't install them yet. Maybe he got problems and removed them.

I just removed the 3 cables from the 3 PIN stock flasher and installed the new one, I didn't change any of the wiring.
I will be investigating it and will update you.

I think that's why yours are working. Because the Koso has LED flash light in the indicator.
With the stock bulb when you use your flash it uses the other wire of the dash indicator as an earth I think.
Crazy stuff :D

EDIT: Just came in with new info.
Removing the dash indicator bulb, makes everything work perfect.
Adding a LED bulb works almost perfect.
As you know LED's have polarity, so if you put it the wrong way it doesn't work so you switch them.
Same thing to the Flash indicator on the little hornets. Put it on one side and only the left flash works, swap it and the right flash works.
So e.g. I have it working on the left side. If I use my left side flash, it sends signal to my right ones too, but with the LED dash bulb it sends very low current and the right one is very dim almost not noticable! And Vice versa.

So I guess I have to add those diodes (Or non-polarized LED bulb which works both ways? Not sure if that will fix it and can't find many of those)
Yours works perfect because of the KOSO dash and it's fully functional LED dashboard bulb.
Probably some diodes inside your dashboard already.
Or the LED is non-polarized and works in both ways , which means the LED has a circuit (diodes or something) or there are 2 bulbs in 1, so it works either way, not sure for that tho.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 am 

ExTaCy1337 wrote:
... or there are 2 bulbs in 1, so it works either way, not sure for that tho.

The Koso RX2-N has two separate LED indicators for the right and left turn signal.
But the original Hornet 250 dash cluster also has two separate indicator lights... or does yours only have one light for right and left together??

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:50 pm 

Borschtsch wrote:
ExTaCy1337 wrote:
... or there are 2 bulbs in 1, so it works either way, not sure for that tho.

The Koso RX2-N has two separate LED indicators for the right and left turn signal.
But the original Hornet 250 dash cluster also has two separate indicator lights... or does yours only have one light for right and left together??

Yes sir, that's exactly how the dash on my CB250FT looks like.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am 

Oh interesting! That explains some things.
I didn't realise that there are such differences between the model years.
My original clocks looked more like this... with 2 separate indicator lights...

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm 

Oh indeed, you got the one with the fuel gauge! :D
Well I got the OIL one, haha.

Update fixed the issue! For 0,20€ haha, although it's too much I could buy 100 diodes for 0.75€ on eBay, but whatever :rollin
http://www.triumphrat.net/air-cooled-tw ... ost2388750

Here you can see DEcosse post , used 1N4007 diodes and done it according to his post.
Connected Light blue from turn indicator bulb, to Green on high beam as earth.

And the 2 diodes to the orange of the turn indicator bulb back to the harness. All perfect, now my dash bulb indicator works both ways with the LED bulb, and there is no feedback to the opposite led's, everything is clean, and works like a charm!

You can also buy this diode kit ready if you don't have a soldering iron or for whatever reason.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 1190/2805/
There it is.

Now I need to change my rear tail/brake lights to LED P21/5W , tried it with a 80 SMD Led bulb, but only 2 (And on the left bulb 1,5 LOL) of them working as a tail light (Well that won't be visible . but works fully as a brake light. damn. Any ideas?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPCLaR_yFME

Board index » Hornet 250 » Mechanical & Electrical