Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 250 » Mechanical & Electrical

Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:03 am 

Hello friends I recently bought a 98 Hornet 250 (Chassis 115). So I have some problems to solve. I think you guys will help me to solve those.

1. What is this tube that containing some oil? Can somebody explain what it does and when to change it?

2. Can anyone check this video and tell my engine is well tuned or not? I can hear some crazy noise and not very smooth. Please help me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWPFZsanlrI

Thanks friends....

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:14 am 
Hornet Lord

1) That looks like the airbox breather. Not sure how exactly but oil and petrol fumes get into the airbox(back pressure maybe) and it collects at the bottom. That tube is just an easy way to drain it. Drain it once every 2 oil changes or so. It takes a while for any significant amount of oil to build up in there.

2) Sounds ok to me but I'll leave it to someone more experienced to comment.
The only thing I will say is allow it to warm up before you rev it too hard. It reduces engine wear. Takes hardly anytime with the climate in Sri Lanka but I see so many people (in Kerala) just riding really hard without warming the bike up first.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:39 am 

anz243k wrote:
1) That looks like the airbox breather. Not sure how exactly but oil and petrol fumes get into the airbox(back pressure maybe) and it collects at the bottom. That tube is just an easy way to drain it. Drain it once every 2 oil changes or so. It takes a while for any significant amount of oil to build up in there.

2) Sounds ok to me but I'll leave it to someone more experienced to comment.
The only thing I will say is allow it to warm up before you rev it too hard. It reduces engine wear. Takes hardly anytime with the climate in Sri Lanka but I see so many people (in Kerala) just riding really hard without warming the bike up first.

Thanks dude.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:11 am 
Hornet Lord

Regarding tune - You can try and make sure the carbs are set up properly. Not sure how you do this but you'll need to set the air-fuel mix such that the exhaust smells only very slightly rich(fuel). Then you need to sync the carbs. there are many DIY guides on the internet.

Board index » Hornet 250 » Mechanical & Electrical