Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 250 » Mechanical & Electrical

Post subject: Renthal Bar C*%k Up
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:34 pm 

Hi Guys,

First post so be gentle.

I always like to have a go at doing things myself rather than paying good money for someone to do it for me. Now this never worked out well on my mtb's and I'm afraid the same applies to my Hornet.

I decided to get some Renthal ultralows and after a few youtube video's thought this could be a task I could comfortably do myself. Anyhow 4 hours later and two holes in my new bars :Bang my brake lever is sitting a lot lower than it used to and they feel really spongy to the point they can't be far from handle bars to bring me to a decent stop. Clutch now engages after what feels like millimetres which makes pulling off somewhat awkward. Can't adjust brake lever because resivour is in the way and level has dropped to min.

I'm used to cocking up but this is beyond me how I screwed up so badly. Any ideas before I hang my head in shame and go to the local garage.

Post subject: Re: Renthal Bar C*%k Up
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:42 pm 
Hornet Lord

What is it you want to fix?

If it's the holes in the bars then don't worry, easily sorted. I recently did mine and got the holes wrong. :angel
Luckily I got them so wrong that I could drill new holes far enough away from the previous ones that the holes were still whole.. :lol
However if I had only been 1/2 a hole out I was just going to fill the previous with JB weld, file/sand flat and then re-drill.
I also found that if the controls are too low they will foul on the reservoir so you have to fix it in the end.

Another tip is that I found it easier to mark up & drill hole whilst the bars are still on the bike, though be careful and use sharp/new drill bits so minimal force is needed.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:00 am 
Hornet Pilot

I drilled the lugs and packed the switchgear with tape, rock solid and no holes on the bars.

Something about drilling into handle bars doesn't agree with ne

Renthal themselves recommend not to drill aswell but I guess they saying this to cover their own backs

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:44 am 
Johnny English

The brake and clutch levers don't have locating holes , unlike the switch gear,

As bigup says , personally I would not want to drill to many holes in my bars 8o

Good idea with the tape packing too bugup,

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:09 pm 

Main problem is with the brakes. Holes are sorted no problem there, its just that brakes feel awful now and the lever won't move up any more because of throttle switch gear and that can't be adjusted because of said locating hole.

Any ideas what could of caused change in clutch bite. May be cable length I guess if so which end do I adjust.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:42 pm 
Johnny English

you will have to turn the bars, to avoid hitting the switch gear with the brake then , if you cant or the switch gear hit the tank on full lock then you need to move the switch gear also,

As for the clutch , the cable maybe stretched slightly , so adjust it and retry ,

Board index » Hornet 250 » Mechanical & Electrical