Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 250 » Consumables

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:46 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Guyz when i fix a one leak there is another leak .. i mentioned this thing in my older posts .. when i fix all the leaks it remains good for about a week .. but again it starts from the weakest point.. i dont think its the radiator cap ... what do u guyz think ?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:02 am 

I would say there could be several reasons for the repeated occurence of coolant leaks...

- some restriction inside the system (maybe caused by rust or other deposits) is blocking part of the coolant flow and therefore creating unusually high pressure
- one of the hoses got brittle
- the type of coolant is not suitable for your bike
- pump seals are leaking (I had this problem once)
- the coolant pump itself may have a problem

...just some points to check on...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:44 am 
Hornet Warrior

what do u meant by pump seals ? .... i dont know what to do man .. now its leaking from that nickel pipe near the carbs on the left hand side.. i dont mind fixing it because after about 1 week it will leak again from somewhere.. the radiator cap im using seems to be okay also .. its 0.9 / 12 psi one.. i tried using 2 radiator caps.. same thing happened.. i dont think its the head gasket.. and no symptoms to be the headgasket at all.. and oil is in good colour .. but what the hell is this.. and some guyz told me to rev up the engine (blip the throttle) while the radiator cap open .. i did it and coolant goes down when i rev it up .. and i think that mean s the water pump is working well with no probs.. then what is stucked ? how can i find the place that this happenes ? i dont like keep fixing leaking places.. shit.. and what about air locks ? how do they cause the coolant leaks ? and what the the other possibilities... i can see coolant leaking every morning ... from that place.. but no problem when riding.. (maybe i cant see the leak because its leaking as vapour ?

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:55 am 
Hornet Warrior

just tell me how to shoot this problem .. i would tell u all the signs that i see.. about this thing.. the thing is COOLANT PRESSURE IS HIGH

take a loook at the pic ..there are some things under the coolant leak topic ..

i can ignore those last three points.. but im not sure at the first point..

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:19 am 

The coolant pump (or water pump) has 2 seals. One is a rubber O-ring where the outer pump cover is attached. This one can be changed easily and cheaply. But the inner seal is difficult (impossible?) to change. On my bike this inner seal was defective and causing leaks every day. I had to get a new pump. Then the leaking was gone.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:16 pm 
Hornet Warrior

mate.. no leaking from the water pump area .. just leaking from one place above the waterpump ..so can we shoot for the water pump seal ? but its not leaking from the seal no ? how can it happen

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:27 pm 

Maybe you can post some pictures of the leakage origin? Otherwise it's hard to tell...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 pm 
Hornet Warrior

The place marked by an arrow .. there is a nickel type Pipe that connects to the engine block .. the coolant leaks from the o ring of that.. . but i didnt had this coolant leak before.. because the coolant was leaking from another place.. under the tank .. when its leaking from that place this place is ok .. but always it leaks from the weakest place

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:43 am 
Hornet Warrior

Borschtsch wrote:
The coolant pump (or water pump) has 2 seals. One is a rubber O-ring where the outer pump cover is attached. This one can be changed easily and cheaply. But the inner seal is difficult (impossible?) to change. On my bike this inner seal was defective and causing leaks every day. I had to get a new pump. Then the leaking was gone.

same thing happened to me. inner seal was the problem but my mechanic said replacing seal was possible but not durable. that's the case i bought a new Water Pump. i have my old water pump with me if anyone needs see some pics of it :oohlala

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:54 am 

Thenura wrote:
The place marked by an arrow .. there is a nickel type Pipe that connects to the engine block .. the coolant leaks from the o ring of that.. . but i didnt had this coolant leak before.. because the coolant was leaking from another place.. under the tank .. when its leaking from that place this place is ok .. but always it leaks from the weakest place

This place is a bit weird. Maybe the clamp on the hose got weak? Replace it with a proper new hose clamp with screw?! Or the rubber hose has a small crack because it's too old?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:40 pm 
Hornet Lord

same spot for me the one on thenura's pic the nickel plated metal tube... it doesn't have a clamp, it is connected to the engine..

I will try and bleed some air and check if that will stop the leak... or perhaps change coolant... with the top 1 brand coolant I never encountered any problems... I'm now using prestone...

Board index » Hornet 250 » Consumables