Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 250 » Consumables

Post subject: LiFePO4 battery
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:28 pm 

Does anyone here have had any experience with the relatively new lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) starter batteries on a Hornet 250 (or in general)?
I'm planning to replace my standard lead-acid battery with one of the above mentioned. Via some suppliers to my company I got informations regarding those. The data and supposed improvements look quite promising. The LFP batteries provide increased starter cranking power and maintain a slightly higher system voltage of 13.2V, therefore delivering better spark/ignition energy. Also, those batteries are much lighter (25~30% of the original).
I'll install a custom made replacement on my bike in the coming days and will share my experiences here later on.
Meanwhile please feel free to share your thoughts and/or experiences here.

Post subject: Re: LiFePO4 battery
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:05 pm 

Last weekend I got the battery finally! But so far I had no time to go for a proper test ride, only my short way back home after the installation. It felt like the bike is more powerful and runs even smoother, but I could imagine it! :angel Anyway, I'll keep monitoring fuel consumption and any other changes.

Although the indicated specs seem surprisingly low (only 4.6Ah), these batteries allow for a much greater instant current draw (250A in this case; CCA 250A). The manufacturer told me that this small battery could actually be used to start a typical car engine up to 2000cc displacement.

With the bike's ignition not turned on, I measured a battery voltage of 13.4V, as opposed to about 12.4V for a fully charged standard lead-acid battery. The original Yuasa battery weighs about 2.8kg. The weight of the LFP battery is 850g, or about 30% of the Yuasa. There is no toxic acid, gas build-up or heat to worry about. This particular battery also comes with an optional internal PCB which regulates and stabilizes the system voltage.

Unfortunately they used the size of a standard battery (YTX7A-BS) for my sample unit. So I had to slightly modify my bike's battery compartment. But if anyone is interested in getting such a replacement battery as well, I'm sure they can make it in the correct dimensions (YTX7L-BS). Feel free to drop me a message. Btw. it comes with a standard one year manufacturer's warranty and is "Made in Taiwan", not China.

Here are some photos...

Last edited by Borschtsch on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:19 pm 
Hornet Warrior

this is interesting!

98 Hornet

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 pm 

Just a quick note, as today was my first commute to/from work on the Hornet after upgrading the battery...
I feel the bike has so much more grunt, sounds more "fruity"... it just feels much more powerful! Even in 5th or 6th gear I can accelerate easily from low revs. I have no measured numbers, but it feels like maybe 20% more power and especially low/mid-range torque. I hope I can get the bike on a properly set up dyno anytime soon.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:54 am 
Hornet Warrior

12v and 4.6Ah??? :eek
ok i'll check some of em here but don't think they are here :Pray

Post Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:43 am 

KANE wrote:
12v and 4.6Ah??? :eek
ok i'll check some of em here but don't think they are here :Pray

If you can't find them locally, I can ask the manufacturer here in Taiwan if they can ship single pieces internationally.
Or you could check Shorai. They might do international shipments, maybe via distributors. Here is the link to the replacements for the original Hornet battery. But this one seems a bit lower on the specs (higher on Ah rating though) and might not have the additional stabilizing circuitry.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:54 pm 
True Horneteer

Please exscuse my ignorance but how can a battery make a bike more powerfull it relies on a combustion engine for power not a battery ... o.O

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:08 pm 

Welshd1k wrote:
Please exscuse my ignorance but how can a battery make a bike more powerfull it relies on a combustion engine for power not a battery ... o.O

Right, a nice combustion engine like the one on the Hornet will give you some power. But this power also relies on a strong and stable ignition of the air-fuel mixture. This is where this battery comes in. This type of battery can not only release a lot of power very suddenly and keep a slightly higher system voltage, but it also contains a special PCB to stabilise any voltage spikes and drops. Furthermore it will retain power for a long time without charging (almost 100% over the course of one year), which comes in handy at longer periods of not riding the bike, like in winter or so. (...not that I would experience something so painful like this in Taiwan though :lol )

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:12 pm 
Hornet Lord

Borschtsch,

this kind of battery doesn't have any liquids right? are you still using this kind of battery? no problems so far on your bike's electrical, electronics... etc...?

I'm planning to use this kind of battery... will this one work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NP7-12-FM150-Re ... 19cfd6de2e

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:32 am 
Hornet Warrior

forcemajeure wrote:
Borschtsch,

this kind of battery doesn't have any liquids right? are you still using this kind of battery? no problems so far on your bike's electrical, electronics... etc...?

I'm planning to use this kind of battery... will this one work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NP7-12-FM150-Re ... 19cfd6de2e

yuasa always works fine and they do have a liquid inside but sealed stuff won't let anything to spill outside, good luck! :)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:25 am 
Hornet Lord

thanks kane... I had one forumer confirmed that his vrla battery lasted 3 years with HID and sound set up on his bike...

here in PH this one cost $10 brand new

problem is how will this fit on our bikes?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:59 pm 

Yes, Kane is right, the Yuasa NP7-12 is a sealed lead-acid battery. So it contains lead plates and acid, although sealed and more or less maintenance-free. This model has a different form factor and different contact terminals from the standard recommended battery for the Hornet. But I'm sure it can be set up to work just fine.

The LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate) battery I mentioned above is a totally different kind of beast. It contains no acid or lead parts. It's very light, has very high instant power draw rating or cold cranking amps (CCA) and does not need changing over long periods of disuse. So far I'm very happy with it. And since I recently upgraded my regulator/rectifier to a MOSFET unit, everthing works even better. Very stable and high system voltage under all load and ride conditions, therefore very good ignition and cold starts.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:05 pm 
Hornet Lord

thanks for the info borshtch

Board index » Hornet 250 » Consumables