Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 250 » Consumables




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hornet 250 engine oil
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:55 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Sri Lanka
Hey guys I have a hornet 250 and want to do an oil change.
I live in Sri Lanka, I called AMW to ask them what type of oil they had, they said they have 10w40 Multigrade oil.
Can someone please explain to me what multigrade oil is.
And is it good for the motorcycle ?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 am 
Offline
Hornet Warrior
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:00 am
Posts: 203
Location: Surrey/London
Pretty much all engine oil is multigrade. Any oil that has the two number name like 10w-40, is multigrade.

It's a mixture of different oil molecules that behave in slightly different ways giving better performance at a range of temperatures. The mixture contains oils that keep their viscosity at low temps and other that keep it at higher temps.

Or something like that...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:09 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Sri Lanka
crumpy wrote:
Pretty much all engine oil is multigrade. Any oil that has the two number name like 10w-40, is multigrade.

It's a mixture of different oil molecules that behave in slightly different ways giving better performance at a range of temperatures. The mixture contains oils that keep their viscosity at low temps and other that keep it at higher temps.

Or something like that...


So will it be ok if I change my engine oil to multigrade ?
And is multigrade semi synthetic, fully syn or magnatec ?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:14 am 
Offline
Hornet Warrior
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:00 am
Posts: 203
Location: Surrey/London
Yes it will be fine.

"Pretty much all engine oil is multigrade". Meaning I would pretty much guarantee that the engine oil you are using is multigrade oil. I've never even seen engine oil for sale that isn't multigrade.

Or to put it another way, the engine is designed to use multigrade.

Whether it is synthetic, mineral or a semi has nothing to do with it. But Semi-synth is about as good as you'll ever need unless you are tuning or racing.


Last edited by crumpy on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Sri Lanka
crumpy wrote:
Yes it will be fine.

"Pretty much all engine oil is multigrade". Meaning I would pretty much guarantee that the engine oil you are using is multigrade oil. I've never even seen engine oil for sale that isn't multigrade.

Or to put it another way, the engine is designed to use multigrade.

Whether it is synthetic, mineral or a semi has nothing to do with it. Semi is about as good as you'll ever need unless you are tuning or racing.


Ok thank you :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:20 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Sri Lanka
crumpy wrote:
Yes it will be fine.

"Pretty much all engine oil is multigrade". Meaning I would pretty much guarantee that the engine oil you are using is multigrade oil. I've never even seen engine oil for sale that isn't multigrade.

Or to put it another way, the engine is designed to use multigrade.

Whether it is synthetic, mineral or a semi has nothing to do with it. But Semi-synth is about as good as you'll ever need unless you are tuning or racing.


Just one more question.
Are multigrade oil semi synthetic, fully syn or magnatec ?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:22 am 
Offline
Hornet Warrior
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:00 am
Posts: 203
Location: Surrey/London
All of them.

All oil is multigrade. There is synthetic multigrade, mineral multigrade... I don't know what magnatec is... is that a brand?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:23 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Sri Lanka
crumpy wrote:
All of them.


Oh now I get it. Thank you .
And how often should I chane multigrade oil ?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:25 am 
Offline
Hornet Warrior
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:00 am
Posts: 203
Location: Surrey/London
JeStEr wrote:
crumpy wrote:
All of them.


Oh now I get it. Thank you .
And how often should I chane multigrade oil ?


Ignore the word multigrade. As far as you need to know, all engine oil is multigrade oil. Anything else may as well be cooking oil. Change the oil as often as you think you should, the service schedule is a good start. 6000 miles is average for most bikes. I do mine a bit more because i thrash the living shit out of my bikes.


Last edited by crumpy on Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:26 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:31 pm
Posts: 17
Location: Sri Lanka
crumpy wrote:
JeStEr wrote:
crumpy wrote:
All of them.


Oh now I get it. Thank you .
And how often should I chane multigrade oil ?


Ignore the word multigrade. As far as you need to know, all oil is multigrade oil. Anything else may as well be cooking oil. change the oil as often as you think you should. The service schedule is a good start. 6000 miles is average for most bikes.


Ok i'm done thank you so much :D


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 am 
Offline
Hornet Warrior
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:00 am
Posts: 203
Location: Surrey/London
My pleasure


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:36 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:13 pm
Posts: 577
Location: Kaohsiung, Taiwan
JeStEr wrote:
Ok i'm done thank you so much :D

I'm happy for you that you found help here in the forum, JeStEr. But please use the search function on the board first or even google a bit before you post your questions. Some things are not as complicated as they seem at first. ;)

Please also do not double-post or post questions in the FAQ section. I deleted your topic there, as it was an exact copy of this one.

Thanks to crumpy for the explanations above!

_________________
Image
A redline a day keeps carbon away.

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

Board index » Hornet 250 » Consumables


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: