Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 250 » General chat

What type of headlight would you prefer?
Standard Halogen 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
HID / Xenon 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
LED 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Laser 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:03 am 

Yesterday I changed my Hornet's headlight from HID to LED, finally.

Why did I do this you may ask!? The main reason was that the 35W HID was emitting too much heat and the reflector started melting slightly in places. Another reason was that I could not use the "passing" switch, as the HID needs some time to ignite properly. And of course there was quite some glare in the light beam as the headlight became cluttered by mosquitoes and other insects.

Now with the Cree H4 LED light output is about the same I would say. But glare is not that much. The heat output is reduced quite a bit! Power consumption is about 12W with lowbeam only, about 24W with highbeam on. The light comes on instantly, also when using the "passing" switch. While the HID was rated 4300K colour temperature, the LED is rated at 5000K. But both look very similar, pretty good relatively warm white.

So now my question is: which headlight type would you prefer (if there were no leagal restrictions in some places)?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:20 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Since i have experiences with HID and have checked alot of forums and video i believe LED cannot beat HID
but because of legal issue/glare with HID in our halogen headlight cup, i have decided to go with this

i bought this few weeks ago(Pics soon in my thread)

its the perfect solution for me, low beam is halogen and hi is HID (just like our normal bulb with two filaments)
halogen got metal guard underneath but HID got nothing so it unleashes full power when its hi :blast
only con is it takes time to flash when you "passing" other than its perfect, i have more light than my early HIDs(they were covered)
when i flash its like a lightning, all road signs glow like hell even vehicles drive with two HIDs hi, they low when i flash :rollin
I'm lovin' it! :clap

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:38 pm 
Hornet Lord

I'm using H4 35Watts super yellow... i like yellow as i can see clearly at night even on dark black asphalt roads

Board index » Hornet 250 » General chat