Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:54 am 

If someone tells you you can't do long distance on a naked or need over 900cc, this is in Hornet's case utter bollocks. I just came home on a 4 100 km round trip on a 2007 Hornet, and the ol' warhorse didn't miss a beat. Zero problems in very varied conditions including going 400 km in a big-ass rain/T-storm. Longest distance in a day 855 km on Autobahn, and the weakest link was the rider. :D

5/5 recommended would do again.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:10 am 
Hornet Warrior

Were you walking like John Wayne afterwards? :rollin

Nice one mate, hope you had a good time!

And as always... pics or it didn't happen! :angel

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:26 am 
Hornet Lord

Yeah - the Hornet is a very capable bike - that's what I love about it - it can do so many things really well - it feels like a super powered scooter in city traffic (due to it's weight and size) but then turns into a proper 'big' bike when you get out onto the motorway and fast A and B roads - I'm sure a lot of modern six hundreds these days are like this but the Hornet was the first 600 (in my opinion) to combine these different qualities (it's competition in the late 90's like the 600 Bandit for example didn't handle as well, was less powerful and heavier - I can compare because I had a bandit before the Hornet)
plus the Hornet styling with the high level exhaust etc made it the best looking 600 road bike at the time (the 600 Monster looked really good but wasn't as robust/powerful as the Hornet).

I've owned 1000cc bikes that have come and gone but I have hung onto my Hornet for 12 years and it still rates as one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

On the original 600 Hornet official press launch in Spain back in 1998 the 'Bike' magazine journalist rode his test bike back to the UK doing an average of a ton the whole way - some French journos wwith him clipped a bungee to their handlebars and attached the other end to the chin bar of their helmets to counteract the wind blast and avoid neck ache!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:40 am 

Well here ya go! :D

https://imgur.com/a/lORSw

Also I was told "your 600 cc will be tired on the hills of Kassel"... which were 8% at max. The small roads near Nürburgring had 15% and they were no problem for the ol' warhorse.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:22 am 
Hornet Lord

Quote:
"your 600 cc will be tired on the hills of Kassel"

Yeah - that's crap - A modern 600cc engine provides more than enough power for a motorcycle - unless you are regularly carrying a pillion or 30kg loads then you don't need the extra displacement.

Modern 600cc bikes can outperform the majority of the people that ride them and give more power and speed than most people are capable of using anyway.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:31 pm 

HOON98 wrote:
Quote:
"your 600 cc will be tired on the hills of Kassel"

Yeah - that's crap - A modern 600cc engine provides more than enough power for a motorcycle - unless you are regularly carrying a pillion or 30kg loads then you don't need the extra displacement.

Modern 600cc bikes can outperform the majority of the people that ride them and give more power and speed than most people are capable of using anyway.

That's very true, I've been doing a few track days on mine, I've been running rings round a few sports bikes that should have wiped the floor with my little Hornet.
And it's still faster than I am - mega little bikes.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:57 pm 
Hornet Lord

Quote:
That's very true, I've been doing a few track days on mine, I've been running rings round a few sports bikes that should have wiped the floor with my little Hornet.
And it's still faster than I am - mega little bikes.

Yeah exactly - I bet the guys on the litre bikes had so much power on tap they were having trouble actually exploiting it and laying the available power down - power is nothing without control etc - 'Bike' magazine didn't call the Hornet 'The Giant Killer' for nothing lol :D

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:04 pm 
Hornet Lord

Power on a 600 is not an issue at all, it's just that they lack the grunt of a larger displacement engine hence why even not particularly fast riders love their litre bikes. They're just more flexible and make mega power even below 6k... It's always great to run rings round the 'big boys' on our Hornets though :angel

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:22 pm 
Hornet Lord

VBui wrote:
Power on a 600 is not an issue at all, it's just that they lack the grunt of a larger displacement engine hence why even not particularly fast riders love their litre bikes. They're just more flexible and make mega power even below 6k... It's always great to run rings round the 'big boys' on our Hornets though :angel

Yeah - litre bikes are good for the lazier/tired rider - I had an old Yamaha thunderace 1000 hack which I used to commute on - not as torquey as a cruiser obviously but it was a nice bike to commute on becuase I didn't have to change gear that much if I didn't feel like it lol - which sounds silly but in fact was really welcome at the end of a very long knackering/stressful day when you just wanted to get home, tune out and sit there without having to do much - it was almost like having an automatic - obviously if you were out on it at the weekend and riding for fun you would make the most of the gearbox and the power - but for those times you just wanted to tune out it was really nice :sleep

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:27 pm 
Hornet Lord

The most I have done is about 250 miles in a day, was not a problem. Often do 100+ miles just riding round and as long as you stay under 80 most of the time it's fine

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:00 pm 
Victor Meldrew

I suppose the power issue is a bit like swapping to a larger engined diesel car, effortless performance up hills and in top gear on the motorway.

As for long distances on the Hornet, my arse and knees start to ache after 30 miles, and my nads get trapped against the tank and go to sleep. Guess that's why Vale always adjusts himself as he leaves pit lane. :eek

Knee pain is probably my own fault, fitted Gilles rearsets, and habitually ride with toes on pegs.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:02 pm 

The seat is the limiting factor for me too. Being a fat @#%$ doesn't help :(

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:36 pm 

I'm not exactly skinny myself, but for this trip I used an extra gel padding on the seat. Dunno what was the end effect but my legs started aching usually only after several hours.

Also: 140 km/h is quite doable touring speed even with those bags. In the rain too. Didn't go over 160 at any point so the unrestricted Autobahn experience is still lacking. =D

Post Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:25 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Yup just rode mine back from Spain. Second time in two years. Great touring bike.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:21 am 

I do not get the need for a 1000, 1200 touring etc. You can go around the world with a hornet without a problem. I have also done 2500 km in a 4days tour and I was just fine. I just kept the average speed 120-140 km/h. If you go faster without a fairing (as I do not have one) you will get tired easily. The advantage of the large touring motorcycles is that you can travel faster as they are made for it but it is a nightmare if you enter a city.
I have to admit that Hornets are perfect for all round use. With a little suspension work is a bike which can go to trackdays without a problem. :) :) :thumbup :thumbup
We now have to think of a solution to ride off road :lol :blahblah

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:12 pm 

Hornet's are a LOT better than people give them credit for.
I've seen a couple besides mine at track days now, one of them in the fast group, which just goes to prove you don't Need a sports bike to ride at silly speeds.
It's so satisfying to ride underneath, or round the outside of them on a little commuter bike.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:58 pm 

alex84 wrote:
I just kept the average speed 120-140 km/h. If you go faster without a fairing (as I do not have one) you will get tired easily.

High tank bag does wonders. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:22 am 

Hi!

I'm new guy to this sport (motorcycles) just got my license (22apr) and my 600cc Hornet (27mai).

What do you think about side cases? I know this is f### expensive.

Have any one tried to use dry bag un back seat?

i'm thinking about traveling far.... any advice for equipment?

i hope that it is right topic...

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:04 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Without doubt the Hornet is a capable mile muncher but given the choice would you want to? If you were to do the same tour on a 'proper touring' bike you might think differently and it's not all about power.

I regularly ride both a Hornet and Vfr which are 'chalk and cheese' when it comes to comfort, luggage and pillion suitability... not to mention protection from the elements, decent suspension, brilliant lighting, a decent fuel range and a nice torquey lower revving cruising gear.

I've cruised all day with three luggage boxes, Bagster tank bag and the misses riding pillion with absolutely no problem and arriving to our destination suitably refreshed and that's on a sports tourer!
Before I had the Vfr we went places on the Hornet but now she objects to it saying it's too cramped ect... it's the Viffer or not at all. Spoilt is what she is, I think she believes those three large luggage boxes are her throne... did I mention she almost fell asleep once on a trip to the coast!!! :rollin

Love my Hornet it's the very light 'fun bike' in the stable but for anything more serious I reach for the Viffer keys every time.

Quote:
Hi!

I'm new guy to this sport (motorcycles) just got my license (22apr) and my 600cc Hornet (27mai).

What do you think about side cases? I know this is f### expensive.

Have any one tried to use dry bag un back seat?

i'm thinking about traveling far.... any advice for equipment?

i hope that it is right topic...

Get yourself a Bagster tank harness and tank bag they are excellent.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:52 pm 

Biggabit wrote:
Get yourself a Bagster tank harness and tank bag they are excellent.

What do you think about tank bag quick lock systems with electricity?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:58 pm 

The max i have done so far on my CB600 2006 is like 700kms in ONE day. I get it, that's nothing. But it was in ONE go. Without taking any break in between (between one emirate to another; Dubai to Kalba to Fujairah to Khorfakkan, and then RAK and then back to Dubai). Don't ask ... was a new rider, felt too excited so just kept going :D

I haven't driven any other sports/heavy bike for that matter but one thing is for certain, I LOVE THIS BIKE. It never ceases to amaze me in intercity (hectic) drives and becomes a PROPER big bike on highways.

I have only one complaint, though. And it's slowly starting to haunt me very badly. FUEL TANK. Just why on earth would Honda choose to go for such small tank? Like, every 280kms or so we HAVE to stop for refuling (Avg mileage for my bike is still 16-19km/l). And it becomes really hectic task if you have to do it multiple times in one day.

My 2nd and 3rd complaint, aren't really complaint. More of an observation.
1. Brakes: I feel as if brakes could've been better. Don't get me wrong. They are powerful, and pretty good considering no ABS. But there are situations where brakes just refuse to operate at optimum level, and it's most dangerous when you accelerate all of a sudden but then have to apply brakes for whatever reason. Bike just refuses to stop. Oh, and if this gives you any idea that i'm not an experienced rider, then no ... i have been riding bikes 20 years now, and i was almost immediately comfortable on this CB600 as soon as I had my first ride after purchase. So my control on the ride is not an issue. Even changed rear brake pads to brand new OEM ones (front ones are just fine).

2. Temps: Ofcourse ... runs hot af. And it's a cause of concern for me as i'm sure you're aware of the frigging hot weather of UAE (which is just around the corner).

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:52 am 
Hornet Lord

Interesting to hear your account of riding in the Emirates - 700km is a lot of mileage in one go mate.

Quote:
I haven't driven any other sports/heavy bike for that matter but one thing is for certain, I LOVE THIS BIKE. It never ceases to amaze me in intercity (hectic) drives and becomes a PROPER big bike on highways.

Yeah - this is the beauty of the Hornet - it does a lot of different jobs very well - brilliant in the city but has the power and speed to be good on the motorway etc - I've owned 1000cc bikes but the Hornet remains my favourite bike out of the lot of them :angel

Yeah - the tank size is small - but to be fair on the Hornet the tank range on my CBR600 is very similar - I guess bikes built specifically for distance like the Pan European will come with a much better tank capacity and range.

Regarding your brakes - assuming that your brake fluid and brake lines are in decent condition then the poor performance might be because you have a cheap set of pads fitted - try fitting some better quality pads with a different compound - it should really improve your braking performance - if you ask around here someone should be able to recommend something decent (I'm rebuilding my 98 Hornet and haven't looked at the pads for ages so my recommendations are probably out of date).

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:41 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Have a look at braided hoses. Really sharpened my bikes braking up!

Also shoutout to the UAE. I used to live in Sharjah before moving to the UK.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:03 pm 

anz243k wrote:
Have a look at braided hoses. Really sharpened my bikes braking up!

Well THAT is some good suggestion. I never thought of it, until you mentioned it.

I don't understand the mechanics of a braided hose, but googling says something about our stock hoses being ... soft? Something like that. Not sure it's the right word ... but anyway. do you have any brand suggestion for me? Does it have to be an expensive one? And how long will it take for me to change the hoses? (I'm lazy-ish so it took me like 30 something minutes just to change the brake pads on the rear :D)

anz243k wrote:
Also shoutout to the UAE. I used to live in Sharjah before moving to the UK.

Oh wow. Someone knows about the traffic of UAE :D I'm sure you're aware of the STUPENDOUS traffic during rush hour. And after all this time, it's only getting worse. And i don't think they have any plans to ease this congestion because then, you know, everyone will rush to Sharjah because of cheaper accommodations there.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:21 am 
Hornet Pilot

abobobilly wrote:
I don't understand the mechanics of a braided hose, but googling says something about our stock hoses being ... soft? Something like that. Not sure it's the right word ... but anyway. do you have any brand suggestion for me? Does it have to be an expensive one? And how long will it take for me to change the hoses? (I'm lazy-ish so it took me like 30 something minutes just to change the brake pads on the rear :D)

You are right in the mechanics - the old hoses yield slightly when you brake, and therefore some of the pressure is absorbed in this instead of going to your brakes.

I had a custom pare of hoses made from a danish supplier, but look for Held, Wezmoto or similar brake lines at ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=cb600F+1998+brake+lines&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcb600F+1998+braided+brake+lines.TRS0&_nkw=cb600F+1998+braided+brake+lines&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB600-F-Hornet-1998-2002-HEL-Braided-Steel-Brake-Line-Kit/131238652471?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3D4c8d0c6615f948b9a30ba68304af688b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D231748390593

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Think of it like a cylindrical balloon. When you squeeze at the ends, the rest of it bulges out.
The force you're applying acts on all sides (side and the 2 faces at the ends) of the tube and the whole thing yields to the force.
In rubber hoses, the rubber sides expand a bit and absorbs some of the force you're applying at the lever.

Braided hoses have a steel sleeve around the outside of the inner plastic tube. This sleeve prevents the side of the hose from bulging out.
This means all/most of the forse you put in, goes to the end (the caliper). So you get sharper braking and more feel.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:06 pm 
Hornet Warrior

And yea mat.e I know the traffic. I actually moved to the UK in 2004 but there was a lot even back then. Went back a coupla times and its gotten worse everytime.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:12 pm 

Cheers brethren. The quality of replies in this forum has exceeded my expectations. Really loving this community.

I have checked HEL's braided hoses (front+rear) prices, and f*ck me, they are expensive at 100 something pounds. Don't we have something in USD or AUD? One pounds is like 4.5 AED, and mostly i have observed high prices of same products in pounds than in other currencies.

BUT, i will still go ahead and buy these. Summer is already here in UAE and it's only going to get worse. Temps are already crossing 40C here. And i can tell the braking performance becoming more inconsistent. As in, becoming more random. Sometimes they work exceptionally well, and sometimes they just fade. (Just today i had to apply emergency brakes on a traffic signal, but the front portion just refused to slow down for one good second. Thankfully the road was empty so i was saved with a few brake lever pumps. Still went a good couple of meters ahead the stop line.)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:43 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Try wezmoto mate. Same shit, lot cheaper

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:09 am 
Hornet Pilot

Or, if you have a local shop that can make them for you.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:08 pm 

I have HEL's racing setup fitted at the front. Works quite nicely.

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:29 am 
Hornet Warrior

The main issue I have with the Hornet is with the footpeg position to be honest. The handlebars are upright and are comfortable, and the seat, though fairly hard, doesn't produce any pain as such, just "numb bum" after a few hours riding... I've never got on with the footpegs though, it gets to the point that I can't physically straighten my right leg fully if I've done prolonged riding. The only way I can seem to get around this is putting the arch of my foot on the peg instead of the ball of the foot, but this puts my feet closer to the floor than I'd like when doing "spirited" riding. Even the GPZ500 seems to feel better in that respect!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:53 pm 

Could try a set of these, https://www.louis.eu/artikel/lsl-footpe ... e/10047130 they also put your legs about a cm from the center of the bike. I just got mine and only did one tour on them, it took some time setting them up like i wanted them, but so far I'm happy, especially since my right leg always had issues with the brake and how it sat vs the placing of my ancle and that was a lot less with these.

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat