Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post subject: Ultraseal... ect
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:53 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Dose anyone have any positive or negative experience with any of the puncture preventative fluids?

Are these any good or even safe ?

Post subject: Re: Ultraseal... ect
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:35 pm 

Hello there I keep tyre weld in my top box it saved me few times
£4 from super market ,
Stayed up the life of the rear tyre easy as A B C :angel

Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:42 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

GROWLER_F2 wrote:
Hello there I keep tyre weld in my top box it saved me few times
£4 from super market ,
Stayed up the life of the rear tyre easy as A B C :angel

Hello and cheers for reply

So this version you stick in after you get the puncture?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:14 am 

yes thats the way i did it think your supposed to repair tyre as soon as
possible ..

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:12 pm 
Victor Meldrew

I thought that the general consensus was that those fluids (Slime etc) that you put into the tyre BEFORE you get a puncture were not a great idea.

Might be OK if crossing the Sahara, or going into a combat zone, but not for general use on normal roads. A tyre that might otherwise be repairable using an internally fitted plug would probably be scrapped.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:15 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

richard pitman wrote:
I thought that the general consensus was that those fluids (Slime etc) that you put into the tyre BEFORE you get a puncture were not a great idea.

Might be OK if crossing the Sahara, or going into a combat zone, but not for general use on normal roads. A tyre that might otherwise be repairable using an internally fitted plug would probably be scrapped.

Agreed nothing but air in mine, its just after hearing a YouTube vlogger claiming he swears by 'ultra seal' I did some browsing/research and came across this forrum topic
http://www.ukbikeforum.com/forum/lofive ... t8877.html

Anyway if you scroll past the post from the ultra seal site there's some interesting and varied experiences.

Apart from the claims it can prevent a crash due to sudden deflation I guess my breakdown cover negates the use of a tyre sealant.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:45 pm 

Agree with all the above - one other reason is that you might not always be aware that you have a puncture and continue riding at pace with compromised tyres - tyre experts don't recommend it in general and fitters may refuse to handle the tyre if they know it's inside ( it dumps sh*t all over their workshops !) .

08 Hornet 600 09 CB1000R

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:16 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Just a quick one... :angel

About a month ago the Viffer's rear tyre picked up one of Screwfix's finest :Bang

Reluctant to bin an almost new tyre i looked at all the possible fixes and went with which used to be known as 'Ultraseal' cost £16 off ebay. The main reason went with Punture-safe was because it claims to be a permanent fix for the life of the tyre unlike the plugs ect. and also there is no speed restriction. (Punture-safe claim 150mph tested)

The other thing i don't like about the 'plug type' of fix is that in order to fit them you've got to first make the hole bigger! turning what was a semi sealing slowish puncture into a rapid deflation situation should the plug ever let go, never mind the additional damage caused to the cords and ply by enlarging the hole.

Because i already had the puncture before installing it, i simply added the required amount through valve stem, spun the tyre up (easy to do with a centre stand) then inflated it..... and up it stayed and has remained so with no air loss what so ever for 600 miles! (Not my idea Punture-safe say you can do this)

Riding with it...

At first i was a little paranoid it would let go / go down... but after a couple of weeks of absolutely no air loss my confidence in the product grew and now ride in my usual manner of 70 - 80 and on the odd occasion 90+ :angel

No air loss
No vibration
Won't freeze (tested a sample in the freezer)
Permanent fix.
Washes away with water come tyre change time.

I change my own tyres so wont't be pissing off the tyre fitter... apparently some places charge an extra ten quid if they know its in the tyre!!!! (any old excuse to money grab)

Will i use it again?

Only if i have a puncture... once this tyre is spent i'l be fitting a new one with just air installed :)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:34 am 
Needs to get out more!

Thanks for the info Biggabit - that looks really good.

If I had known about this stuff when I was doing a ton of commuting I would have bought some.

I used that Holts tyre foam stuff - but it's only a 'get you home at low speed' solution and not a permanent fix - I remember getting back to the NCP car park in central London late one night totally knackered after a long day at work and just wanting to get home and go to sleep - total bummer when I saw my Yamaha's flat rear tyre with a nail sticking out of it - I filled the tyre with the Holts foam and it partially inflated and seemed to seal - then I had to limp 40 miles home - got it up to 50 mph tops on the motorway but had to go much slower on bends etc as the bike was handling like blancmange.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:02 pm 
Johnny English

I use a plug system , fantastic bit of kit,

I have used these a few times in the last 35 years of my biking, never let me down, on my R1 and a Blade, :)

I have a small hand pump to re-inflate or you can use a small Co2 capsule

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Auto-Tubeless-Tire-Tyre-Puncture-Plug-Repair-Kit-Motorcycle-Scooter-Quad-/221064747158

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:03 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

paulh0rnet wrote:

I have used these a few times in the last 35 years of my biking, never let me down, on my R1 and a Blade, :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Auto-Tubeless-Tire-Tyre-Puncture-Plug-Repair-Kit-Motorcycle-Scooter-Quad-/221064747158

The trouble is it does state that it's a 'get you home' temporary repair and there's usually a 40-50 mph speed restriction with those plugs. (Speed limit not mentioned in that Ebay listing)

Even if the above cautionary advice was simply to cover their :moon i would find it difficult to ignore especially after having enlarged the hole to fit it.

At least with the 'Puncture safe' installed there's the peace of mind that if the self forming plug were to let go (or you got another puncture) the hole would immediately re-seal.

So far so good it hasn't lost a single psi.

My only concern is, and why i wouldn't have it in there permanently is one of corrosion long term? Punture-safe's site say that this won't happen due to the formula but have i read at least one negative review where someone' chrome steel rim apparently corroded, but as you well know there is always a few negative reviews with any product.

When i researched it by typing in 'motorcycle forums puncture safe /ultra seal' rather than finding anything negative i found mainly two types, those who swore by it when touring ect or those which were simply dead against having a liquid in their tyre, no real life experience with it but just apposed to the idea of it. (which i understand as they are pneumatic tyres not hydraulic)

Fortunately for me the flat was discovered at home before setting out one morning so i was able to choose installing the permanent sealant.... but if it had gone flat while out the plug method would have been more practical. (Though i probably would of then replaced it due to the temporary nature of the fix)

P.s. The reason i didn't have a professional fix the tyre was that most if not all garages won't repair a Z rated tyre. I guess they think we all ride around at the tyre's maximum speed limit or would simply prefer to sell you another. :Bang

Last edited by Biggabit on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 pm 
Hornet Lord

I plugged my bike's and car's tyre with one of them snake thingies. Done it to the parents car and a frinds truck. I've pushed my car and bike to over 130 and I've not had any issues.
I've not looked for negative reviews of the plug but i haven't come across anything yet.

All the plugs I've done held till the end of the tyres' life.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

anz243k wrote:
I plugged my bike's and car's tyre with one of them snake thingies. Done it to the parents car and a frinds truck. I've pushed my car and bike to over 130 and I've not had any issues.
I've not looked for negative reviews of the plug but i haven't come across anything yet.

All the plugs I've done held till the end of the tyres' life.

Then they're probably perfectly ok.... but for my peace of mind i chose the sealant. :)

Interesting thread regarding invalidating your insurance if you repair a Z rated tyre.

Should mine fail i guess i could claim the sealant was installed as a preventive measure but didn't work! :angel

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:13 pm 
Hornet Lord

Biggabit wrote:
Then they're probably perfectly ok.... but for my peace of mind i chose the sealant. :)

Interesting thread regarding invalidating your insurance if you repair a Z rated tyre.

Should mine fail i guess i could claim the sealant was installed as a preventive measure but didn't work! :angel

I was just saying more as an anecdote. Not saying you're wrong or anything.

Glanced through that thread. Realistically, can they work out that you had a blowout purely because of a plug?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:48 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

anz243k wrote:
Biggabit wrote:

I was just saying more as an anecdote. Not saying you're wrong or anything.

Glanced through that thread. Realistically, can they work out that you had a blowout purely because of a plug?

Yeah i know... no worries :)

Regards the blow out... I doubt it. :)

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:33 pm 
Johnny English

Biggabit wrote:
paulh0rnet wrote:

The trouble is it does state that it's a 'get you home' temporary repair and there's usually a 40-50 mph speed restriction with those plugs. (Speed limit not mentioned in that Ebay listing)

Even if the above cautionary advice was simply to cover their :moon i would find it difficult to ignore especially after having enlarged the hole to fit it.

At least with the 'Puncture safe' installed there's the peace of mind that if the self forming plug were to let go (or you got another puncture) the hole would immediately re-seal.

So far so good it hasn't lost a single psi.

My only concern is, and why i wouldn't have it in there permanently is one of corrosion long term? Punture-safe's site say that this won't happen due to the formula but have i read at least one negative review where someone' chrome steel rim apparently corroded, but as you well know there is always a few negative reviews with any product.

When i researched it by typing in 'motorcycle forums puncture safe /ultra seal' rather than finding anything negative i found mainly two types, those who swore by it when touring ect or those which were simply dead against having a liquid in their tyre, no real life experience with it but just apposed to the idea of it. (which i understand as they are pneumatic tyres not hydraulic)

Fortunately for me the flat was discovered at home before setting out one morning so i was able to choose installing the permanent sealant.... but if it had gone flat while out the plug method would have been more practical. (Though i probably would of then replaced it due to the temporary nature of the fix)

P.s. The reason i didn't have a professional fix the tyre was that most if not all garages won't repair a Z rated tyre. I guess they think we all ride around at the tyre's maximum speed limit or would simply prefer to sell you another. :Bang

As always you can find negative on anything if you look hard enough , also as you say " they cover themselfs"

Those tyre plugs have always worked for me, and i have full trust in them .

I can only give advice when asked for of my experience using such things, and they have served me very well , on all sorts of bikes including superbikes ,

I also know farmers who use these plugs on their tractors , not a 2 wheeled 100mph +, bike , of course , i know , but tractors are work horses and pull tons, through all sorts of terrain , and never had a failure, that must say something ?

Along with anz243k i have complete faith in them :thumbup

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:00 pm 
Hornet Lord

The mushroom ones seem somewhat more "safe". I say this just because they have a "head" that can provide some retention.

That said, the snake ones squeeze to go through the hole and then expand back to normal size once inside, so they'll have a certain amount of retention aswell.

Thinking about it, the vulcanisation fluid will cause the snake thingies to chemically bond to the rubber around the hole and will seal and seat pretty well.

I actually tried to order the mushroom ones but got the snake type. Given the above sentence, I'm glad I have the snake type.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Aren't the mushroom shaped ones supposed to be fitted from inside the tyre, ie bead off the rim ?

With plenty of glue ( vulcanising ?? ), has to be the best option for a permanent repair.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:52 pm 
Hornet Lord

richard pitman wrote:
Aren't the mushroom shaped ones supposed to be fitted from inside the tyre, ie bead off the rim ?

With plenty of glue ( vulcanising ?? ), has to be the best option for a permanent repair.

You get an applicator (basically a rod that holds it) to push it in from the outside. You also coat it in the vulcanising fluid to help it slide in.

The kits you usually get are a road side puncture repair (even the mushroom ones).

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:31 pm 
Johnny English

i think the " wheel off rim , mushroom plugs " ones are a accepted as a permanent car tyre puncture repair method., my local tyre fitter says they are , charges £20 per puncture.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:58 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

guy reviews several 'plug type' repairs and the mushroom one is at 12:50 in the video.

Better video The hole required to fit this type of plug is noticeably larger than when fitting the stringy things.

From the tubeless tyre repair kit advertisement.
Additional Info:
12 months manufacturer warranty
NB - Any tyre that has been repaired should be removed from the rim and professionally inspected (and re-repaired if deemed necessary) to ensure there is no internal damage that is not visible from the out side.

Presumably... especially if you've just used a rasp to enlarge the puncture causing additional damage to the cords and ply.

I did look at these but the only repair method which claimed to be permanent, had no speed restriction and didn't require the hole to be bored out to a larger diameter was the Punturesafe sealant.

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat