Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post subject: Belly pan brackets.
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:26 am 
Hornet Pilot

Hi all. Has anyone bought one of these and fitted to a 1999 or similar?...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DR435-HONDA-HORNET-CB600-CB900-98-05-Belly-Pan-Lower-Fairing-Panel-Fiberglass/310681449122?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm wondering about mounting bracket design. Where to bolt it onto the bike. Where to bolt it on the belly pan itself.. How much ground clearance to give it. How far behind the front wheel?.. etc etc.
I'm trying to make card mockups but I feel the finished product would look a bit unsightly.. Any suggestions would be a great help.
Cheers in advance.

Post subject: Re: Belly pan brackets.
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 am 
Hornet Lord

I'm going to be fitting a belly pan to my 98 600 (once I've got the forks, wheels and engine all bolted back together again :angel ).

Regarding fitting the brackets I'm planning on extracting and then re-bolting one of the lower bolts from the ignition rotor cover on the RHS and the clutch cover on the LHS front of the engine and a couple of bolts at the rear either side to mount four brackets.

I'll buy some aluminium plate off ebay to make the brackets - probably around 4mm thick - strong enough to support the belly pan but thin enough to bend into the right shapes.

Making up some mock ups is a good idea to guide the design of the bracket - when I make up the brackets I'll make them longer than necessary so that I have scope to drill extra mounting holes if I need to mount the pan lower to the ground and farther away from the engine if necessary.

Mota Forza sells a mounting kit for belly pans (link below) but it will cost around 37 quid including postage so it should be cheaper to source your own aluminium, screws and rubber grommets off ebay (presuming you have the necessary saws and drill to do the work yourself).

It's worth looking at the pics of the Mota Forza kit as it will give you an idea of how to design and fit your own DIY brackets.

https://www.motoforzafairings.com/uni-mounting-kit-for-bellypans

Post subject: Re: Belly pan brackets.
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:48 am 
WOOF!

I had some brackets made up that might help you if I can find the plans. Failing that I will see if there are any left in the garage from the belly pans I used to sell. It's the same in my Signature pic so not sure if they will fit the pans you are both looking at. They are fitted onto the sump bolts so no reworking required.

Being old doesn't make you knowledgeable. It only makes you think you are.

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat