Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:27 am 

Which is the better bike? How are they compared to each other?
In terms of reliability, specs and build quality, which is better?

(I know this is a Hornet forum but you guys seem able to talk other bikes too)

Cheers

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:14 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Loads of magazine reviews at the time comparing the two bikes.

Back in '99, I was in the market for a new bike. My choices were Fazer, SV650 and Hornet. My inclination was to the Fazer, as it looked like a 'proper motorbike', with a conventional frame and exhaust system, R1 Bluespot brakes, 17" front wheel, proper rising rate rear suspension etc. Thought ( at the time ) that the Hornet was a weird looking thing. I'm sure at the time the Fazer was the sensible choice as a commuter / do anything bike, easier for luggage and pillions, some weather protection from half fairing. Pretty much identical performance from both bikes.

But I was seduced by Bike magazines description of the Hornet as the hooligans bike, like the small bloke who's always looking for a scrap. I had a test ride on a brand new one at my local dealer, fell in love, and ending up buying a just run in second hand example at the dealers suggestion, although I was entirely prepared to buy new.

I subsequently had a go on a friends Fazer, and wasn't impressed, it felt very soggy, suspension and throttle response wise, compared with the taut Hornet. The R1 brakes on his might have suffered winter salt, as they were underwhelming in performance.

As a second hand buy, my money would be on the Hornet. It's a bit of a cliché, but Honda build quality is the best of the big four Jap bikes, and the CBR600 engine is very reliable and capable of inter galactic mileages provided it has it's oil changed regularly, and an eye kept on the valve clearances. Some problems with cam chain tensioner and regulator / rectifier, easily fixed.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:19 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Yeah - agree with everything Richard said.

Both are capable bikes but the Hornet edges it in terms of sheer fun - ride them back to back and I'm willing to bet that the Hornet will leave much more of a grin on your face than the Fazer is capable of.

The Hornet performs a kind of conjuring trick - if you are riding in the city it feels tiny and light but is capable of punching out with a 600cc sportsbike engine - I've honestly never ridden anything faster across heavily congested London - zipping nimbly in and out of traffic and then hammering it through clear stretches of road - in town the bike reminds me more of a super motard than a dedicated road bike - riding the Hornet is like playing an xbox in these type of situations :evil - but then getting on the motorway the Hornet performs it's next trick - which is to morph from the scrappy city terrier into a decent powered, proper road bike 'with legs' - quite capable of mixing it with fast traffic and with enough power and acceleration to get you out of any trouble at high speeds.

Plus in my opinion the original naked Hornet is a much better looking bike than the Fazer - I could never get past the Fazers hideous bikini fairing and the two small lozenge shaped lights (which apparently aren't that effective) - in contrast the Hornet is a much more stylish and classic looking bike - plus the high level 'scrambler' style pipe was a nice stylish touch which further set it apart from other road bikes at the time.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:55 pm 
Hornet Baby

- The Fazer is a good couple of pounds heavier: wet weight is 417lb vs 380-399 for the most Hornets, although the fuel consumption is about the same due to fairings
- Fairings make a big difference in wind/comfort/long distance - the Fazer wins here bigtime because the Hornet is full face blast when it comes to highway speeds (after market screens are available)
- The Fazer also has a thinner rear wheel 160 vs 180, don't know if it makes a big diff, but wider = better looking imo

Cheers

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:01 am 
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
getting on the motorway the Hornet performs it's next trick - which is to morph from the scrappy city terrier into a decent powered, proper road bike 'with legs' - quite capable of mixing it with fast traffic and with enough power and acceleration to get you out of any trouble at high speeds.

Very good point, well made. On my previous commute I used the M5 for a couple of junctions, able to instantly match speeds with the fastest traffic. I personally don't find windblast a problem - I'm a short arse, with Ultralows and Gilles putting me into a relaxed crouch, small flyscreen also helps, sit at 80 ( or more ) easily.

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:49 pm 
Needs to get out more!

Yep, it's such a capable and endearing bike - the Hornet has always given me everything I need out on the road in just about every situation I can think of - plus it's the most fun and enjoyable to ride bike I've ever owned - my main transport at the moment is a fuel injected CBR600F - and while it is an amazingly capable motorcycle the Hornet still pips it for grin factor.

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat