Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:37 pm 
Hornet Pilot

As I'm used to riding 2 strokes, I always blip the throttle after a full throttle run. But now with my Hornet, I guess it's time to learn engine braking.

So let's say you ride the hell out of 3rd gear, climbing to 14k rpm. Do you guys just let off the throttle completely and engine brake to safe speeds? Or is that damaging the engine?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:40 pm 
True Horneteer

Personally I wouldn't just shut the throttle off abruptly in third at those kind of revs - you can let the throttle off fast and take advantage of engine braking to slow you down but just make it smooth and not abrupt.

In terms of performance/rapid riding I try to be as smooth as possible - sudden engine braking in a lower gear at high revs can be jerky and unbalance the handling of the bike going into a bend etc - and although your engine should be ok it's not exactly mechanically 'sympathetic'.

Making sure you are changing down into the right gear/throttle for the radius you are negotiating and concentrating on proper braking technique to get you down to the right speed for the bend is the way to go in my opinion.

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat