Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post subject: Plug Leads
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:46 pm 
Victor Meldrew

I'm still bugged by a low speed (under 3K rpm) misfire when the engine is hot, now wondering if it is ignition related. Certainly, changing the plugs helped for a while.

So, I've got a spare set of coils and leads to fiddle with, cheers DJ Chunky :D

I'd assumed plug leads were sealed units. In fact, they come to bits quite easily.

Unscrew the one end from the coil, pull off the rubber grommet and heat shrunk protector. At the plug end, the brass bit that connects to the plug unscrews, then the plug lead can be pushed through and out. The bakelite tube thing pulls out of the plug boot with a bit of effort, but actually no need to disturb this if just changing the plug HT wire.

The thing that looks like a 13amp fuse appears to be a 1K ohm resistor, interference suppressor I assume. Badly corroded on the end that mates with the washer soldered to the end of the plug lead.

So, I'm going to look into renewing the HT leads, and maybe ditching the resistors, if that'll improve the sparks.

You missed the starting gun

Post subject: Re: Plug Leads
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Replaced the plug leads with some new copper cored HT lead. Simple job, just need to unsolder the washer off the end of the old lead, solder it onto the new one. Cleaned all the corrosion off the resistor before refitting. Did wonder it it might be an idea to give the bits a smear of dielectric grease before reassembly, might stave off the rust bug.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:06 pm 
Jaffa Cakes

Hi Richard, i hope it cure's that missfire. I bought a second hand set of coils and leads to try and sort my missfire, it did work for a little while but now it seems it may be back. So if this helps yours i think i'll try this method on mine. Should be alot cheaper than buying new leads. :)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:32 pm 
Victor Meldrew

I came across this amusingly named lubricant in Maplins today.

http://www.contralube.com/vehicleelectrics.html

Apparently, "Contralube770 is effective in reducing the mating force required".

Anyway, I'm going to use it inside my rebuilt plug leads, and on any other electrical connectors the next time I have them apart. Waterproofs and stops corrosion, probably good stuff to use on the Hornet starter relay and main fuse.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 pm 
Victor Meldrew

Quote:
So if this helps yours i think i'll try this method on mine. Should be alot cheaper than buying new leads.

Well, got it all back together, started it up, electrocuted myself, engine dropping onto three cylinders at idle, didn't seem too promising.

But after giving the leads a bit of a shove, went out for a ride, engine seemed to clear its throat, ran fine after that. Maybe some of the oil I'd put on the plug threads had got into the wrong place, or lead wasn't quite home at the coil end.

Quick 3 figure blat down the local dual carriage way, then a 30 mph pootle around Warndon Villages, seems to have done the trick. Idle speed has risen noticeably. Still a bit lumpy at idle, but that might be sorted by a carb balance.

Anyway, at 70p a metre for some copper cored HT lead, got to worth a try.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:21 pm 
Red 5 standing by!

nice one for this richard. my replacement coils and leads turned up so thought i'd check em out before i put em on the bike. following your guide i popped all the resistors and brass caps out. all were fine apart from one which had a build up of greeny-black gunk on the back of one of the brass caps. cleaned it off with wd40 and fine grade wet & dry and popped em all back in. pretty sure if i hadn't done this that lead wouldn't have conducted properly. anyway will get em fitted and see what happens. tried taking the tank off but it's far too fiddly for my liking so will get someone who knows what they're doing on to it. fingers crossed...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Just a quick nod of appreciation in Mr Pitman's direction :clap

Replaced the leads (on a spare set i have) to fit the next time the tank's off.

Surprisingly simple to do, here's the first one complete. (I decided to re-fit the heat shield sleeve thingy)

The leads internals showed signs of corrosion. (Easily removed)

Secondary circuit nicely within spec.

All done and ready to install.

Cheers man :)

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat