Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:00 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

While looking for a dust boot for my front master cylinder (Mine is split) i happened to notice that the post 98/99 front master cylinder repair kits are a different size No one seems to sell the boots separately... although i doubt the boots differ in size.

Honda CB 600 FW/FX Hornet (PC34) 98-99 Rebuild Kit
Brake Mastercylinder - Front - TourMax Japan
14mm OD 41.6mm Long

Honda CB 600 FY/F1 Hornet (PC34) 00-01 Rebuild Kit
Brake Mastercylinder - Front - TourMax Japan
12.7mm OD 48.6mm Long

Then i became intrigued why Honda would change the piston size... was it to improve or tame the braking? I did do a general search on google but only found (I didn't search very hard to be honest)

So does anyone know? :angel

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:37 pm 
True Horneteer

That's a really interesting observation*

My guess would be (based on the comments you linked to regarding braking force relative to boot diameter) that the boot diameter was reduced to moderate the braking force in order to make the bike more user friendly for newer riders (as there may have been feedback that the bite from the 98 99 front brake set up was too harsh and immediate - resulting in front wheel lock ups among newer riders who were still learning to calibrate their braking**) - this idea tallies with the Hornet's move from the 16 inch to the 17 inch front wheel which was done for exactly the same reason - to make the bike more user friendly for newer riders*** by improving the front end handling and reducing the bikes tendency to shake it's head under hard acceleration.

*if you are a Hornet nerd like me :angel

** I did experience a more than average number of front wheel lock ups due to grabbing too much front brake on the Hornet in my time on the 98 bike - but there could be additional factors at work here to do with my own lack of experience and finesse at the time this stuff used to happen and the kind of riding style the Hornet encourages rather than any inherent problem with the front end set up :D

*** Obviously the addition of the 17 inch front wheel offers improved handling for any rider from novice to expert.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:36 pm 
Darwin Award winner 2016

Yeah it makes sense... contrary to some on here I've never had any complaints with my Hornets fronts, they've always felt sharp enough. The Viffers brakes do feel stronger... but there's more going on when you pull the front lever on that bike.

So it would appear i'm not missing out... was thinking given the number of Hornet spares on eBay a swap wouldn't cost much.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:48 pm 
True Horneteer

Yeah, no complaints here either, and I always enjoyed that 'lively' 16 inch front wheel.

As we know the only thing the early Hornet was crying out for was some decent suspension front and rear - a decently suspended Hornet is a really special bike.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am 
Victor Meldrew

I was always under the impression that Honda improved the braking on the 17" bikes, by specifying CBR600 brake pads and fitting a solid metal brake pipe link across the top of the front mudguard, instead of the rubber pipe, thus taking some 'give' out of the system.

Road tests at the time suggested that original 16" brake pads were 'novice friendly'. Quite what that meant I'm not sure, I certainly managed to lock my front wheel in the wet and fall off, in my famous Japanese jay walking tourist incident.

The 16" wheel ? I reckon that they just had a shed full of old Fireblade bits that needed using up.

Interested in the master cylinder differences though, just off to CMNSL to check on part numbers ….

EDIT 98/99 bikes45530MA4671
03 bike 45530471831

David Silver has both types in stock, at 22 quid and 42 quid respectively, plus vat, plus p&p.

I wonder what M/C the Street Triple uses, as it has same calipers as the Hornet ( I have a pair of those calipers on my 98 bike, braking did seem sharper once fitted, put that sown to better condition of newer parts )

You missed the starting gun

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 pm 
True Horneteer

Quote:
The 16" wheel ? I reckon that they just had a shed full of old Fireblade bits that needed using up.

Yes - certainly the reason they fitted the early Hornet with the 16' front wheel - on a purely aesthetic note I think the fatter looking 16 inch front looked really good which is why I hung on to mine and didn't convert to 17 inch.

Wonder why Honda went for the 16 inch wheel on the 90's Fireblade in the first place? Faster at tipping into corners?

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat