Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:12 pm 
Hornet Lord

Hey guys and gals,

During the winter period I want to change the color on some parts of my bike and any advice would be welcome.

So the things I want to paint/coat black are:
-Engine covers (clutch, generator, cylinder head)
-My bottom and top yokes and the front fork lowers
-Grab handle
-Swingarm

Would be okay to powder coat all of those parts? Mainly I'm a bit worried about the engine covers as those reach higher temperatures and I don't know how well powder coats hold up to higher temperatures. If I go for the powder coating I will need to disassemble everything which leads to the questions below.

Forks:
=====
When disassembling the forks I can imagine that it would be a good idea to do a full overhaul of them including new 15W fork oil and linear ohlins or hagon springs?

According to what I read in Haynes I need to replace the following upon reassembly:
2 91356KF0003 O-RING
2 90544283000 WASHER, SPL., 8MM
2 51490MN8305 SEAL SET, FR.FORK

From your experience, is replacing them really necessary? Anything that I've forgotten or should be added?

Steering Stem/Bottom Yoke:
=====================
According to Haynes I need to replace these:
1 53214371010 DUST SEAL, STEERING HEAD
1 53213MB4771 DUST SEAL, STEERING HEAD (ARAI)
1 90506MBL610 WASHER
Same question as before. All necessary, anything to be added?

Swingarm:
========
2 91262KV3831 DUST SEAL,17X24X5
3 91283ML7003 DUST SEAL 22X29X4
1 91212KM1005 OIL SEAL
Same question as before. All necessary, anything to be added?

Engine:
======
Then regarding the engine covers, and the cylinder head cover. Will I need new gaskets (where do you guys get them cheap, I need to either source them locally or get them sent to Belgium)?

These are the gaskets:
1 12391MV9670 GASKET, HEAD COVER (this one's pretty expensive)
1 11392MV9670 GASKET, ACG COVER
1 11393MV9670 GASKET, CLUTCH COV
1 11391MV9670 GASKET, PULSER COV

Anything else I should be doing while I'm at it?

Thanks in advance for any comments, tips and tricks!

Half the wheels, double the fun!

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:48 am 
Hornet Warrior

Just paint the whole engine black ,just take tank off and use plenty of tape and newspaper and rags so u dont get over spray ,Swing arm u will have to take the bearings out b4 u get it powder coated or u could just use plasti dip on swing arm and forks and u will save time and money.

2001 CB600FS - lamborghini nero nemesis paint ,Twin 5 3/4" headlights,Renthal ultra lows ,Danmoto pipe ,integrated tail lights ,Koso speedo ,Koso temp gauge ,Killerglass,DID X ring chain ,Silicone hoses ,Venhill brake lines ,MetalGear discs and pads.

2007 CB900f with Staintune pipes

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:58 am 
Hornet Warrior

For the head gasket you can just smear so grease over it( paint wont stick to grease ,then wipe off grease) i didnt replace side cover gaskets just painted ( if by some chance your paint eats threw your gaskets replace them when they start leaking )

2001 CB600FS - lamborghini nero nemesis paint ,Twin 5 3/4" headlights,Renthal ultra lows ,Danmoto pipe ,integrated tail lights ,Koso speedo ,Koso temp gauge ,Killerglass,DID X ring chain ,Silicone hoses ,Venhill brake lines ,MetalGear discs and pads.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:19 pm 
Hornet Lord

Thanks for the replies aussie!

aussie600s wrote:
Just paint the whole engine black ,just take tank off and use plenty of tape and newspaper and rags so u dont get over spray ,Swing arm u will have to take the bearings out b4 u get it powder coated or u could just use plasti dip on swing arm and forks and u will save time and money.

Which type of paint would you suggest? If the paint needs to be baked I'll need to take off the covers, are the gaskets really sticky usually? I'm not going to paint the whole engine, at least not right now. I'm not up to dropping it just yet, removing the triple tree will be challenging enough for now. How durable is painting compared to powder coating? Plastidipping the swingarm is not an option. It's going to look too shitty too soon considering all the chain lube and dirt I usually find on my swingarm. I don't care about spending time however I do want a quality job and of course as cheap as I can make it. Not because I'm greedy but just because of the challenge and because it results in a better feeling of accomplishment.

aussie600s wrote:
For the head gasket you can just smear so grease over it( paint wont stick to grease ,then wipe off grease) i didnt replace side cover gaskets just painted ( if by some chance your paint eats threw your gaskets replace them when they start leaking )

Sounds logical... if I decide to go for painting! Will have to remove them if I decide to powder coat.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 am 
Hornet Warrior

I used VHT engine paint ,u don't need to take covers off to bake them ,u start the engine up and let it idle for the required time ( the heat from the engine bakes it on ) u don't need to drop engine to paint entire engine just take petrol tank ,headers and air box off .Yeah I'm yet to see how plasti dip holds up on swing arm ,don't paint swing arm get it powder coated .If ya gunna powder coat your tripple clamp do it at sane time u do swing arm cause most powder coaters have a minimum price .

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 am 
Hornet Warrior

Pm me tomorrow and remind me and ill put some grease and chain lube on my swing arm and will leave it a few days and see if it holds up

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:38 pm 
Scratcher2

just watch on getting your swingarm powder coated i had my frame and swingarm powdercoated and it meant it wouldnt fit until i scraped some of the powder coat off were it mates together and POR15 engine paint i think is what i see people using mostly

and when rebuilding my forks i changed bushes and seals might wanna change dust seals as well, ended up changing the damper rod piston rings as they melted somehow but i would pull them apart and check over the bushes and damper rod piston rings but at very least change the oil seals

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:03 am 
Hornet Lord

aussie600s wrote:
Pm me tomorrow and remind me and ill put some grease and chain lube on my swing arm and will leave it a few days and see if it holds up

That's okay mate, no need as I wouldn't go for plasti-dip. No need to ruin your job ;).

jackojeff wrote:
just watch on getting your swingarm powder coated i had my frame and swingarm powdercoated and it meant it wouldnt fit until i scraped some of the powder coat off were it mates together and POR15 engine paint i think is what i see people using mostly

and when rebuilding my forks i changed bushes and seals might wanna change dust seals as well, ended up changing the damper rod piston rings as they melted somehow but i would pull them apart and check over the bushes and damper rod piston rings but at very least change the oil seals

Yeah I've read that preparation is vital on both powder coat jobs and paint jobs. That includes covering all holes with masking tape or something else that can withstand the heat of the baking.

I think I will go for VHT Engine paint on the cases and powder coat on the other parts that don't get hot (swingarm, yokes, ...). I will ask the powder coater's opinion about it too before I make the final decision though.

And regarding replacing gaskets etc. you're right, I'll take everything off first and look at the state of them before ordering new ones.

Thanks for the input guys.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:31 am 

Have a look at Steve370s posts as he's painted a few motors - best results are always via taking the motor out TBH - take off size cases (these will look even better if powder coated - plus the bolts won't be blasted with paint etc)

Masking tape and newspaper / card are perfect for masking and easier and less messy than applying grease IMHO though - As you've quite right;y deduced (!) anything with bearings in needs the bearings out and very careful and solid masking of bearing mounts, screw holes etc to prevent mega paint requiring too much filing afterwards.

Good luck !

08 Hornet 600 09 CB1000R

Post Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:22 pm 
Hornet Warrior

I plan on putting some chain lube and grease on my plasti dip swing arm and forks for quailty control purposes anyway ,oh yeah if u paint the engine while still in frame take the air box off as well as tank ,makes it a lot easier and preasure wash the hell out of it and use prep wash b4 you paint it.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:26 am 
Hornet Baby

I'd go with black ...

Why not respray the yellow too?

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat