Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:47 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Hi all,

Got knocked off the bike this morning while turning right, across stationary traffic, in to my work car park. I was hit by a cyclist riding fast down the inside (by the kerb) of the cars/lorries/busses. I've just looked at the camera footage and it turns out he was actually on the pavement...Grrr. >:

Anyway, the bike wont start now, turns over ok but doesn't seem to try to fire up. I can smell fuel so I guess it's flooded good and proper. Is the only way to resolve this to take the tank off, plugs out dry them and air the cylinders? or will continuously turning it over with the fuel tap set to 'off' eventually air it out so to speak?

I live 16 miles away so access to tools is not so easy and I don't fancy stripping the bike down at work. My breakdown cover wil only take me to a max of 10 miles but technically they wont recover me after an accident (unless I pay). I could get it recovered to my mums house (3 miles) if I can't get it going and worry about it at a later date.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:25 pm 
Hornet Lord

How long have you let the bike sit for, before trying to start her?

Sometimes just leaving her alone for a few hours will do the trick.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:33 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Left about an hour, that was 9am, and not tried since. I do hope it was just a case of leaving it. Will try in a moment.

Just been up to my mums house to pick up a battery booster pack that I used to keep in my old car (got a bigger one in my current car), hopefully I can use this and stop my bike battery from draining.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 pm 
Hornet Pilot

Well it started, really lumpy and a lot of smoke. I didn't have time to wait for it to clear fully so I will have to run it later after work and see what happens.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 pm 
Johnny English

Hope you got his details , so you can take him to the small claims court , and claim your losses back , if he refuses to pay up !

This why you wear a head cam isnt it ? :thumbup

As for the bike get to a bike repairers , for quotes on repairs , keep bus tickets as you will claim that back also.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 pm 
Hornet Pilot

No, we didn't exchange details, he was up on his bike and gone after checking I was ok. I'm not worried about the damage, crash bung took most of it and light scuffs on the brake lever, mirror and can.

Unbelievably, about 8:30pm, I was nearly hit by a car pulling out on to a small roundabout, whilst I was on it, it was close but I toppled over on to the right side again, just couldn't hold it up (I'm a bit vertically challenged). Was a young girl, I had a massive go at her, but again didn't take it any further. :(

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat