Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:42 am 
Hornet Warrior

My 2000 Hornet does take some time to reach OT. Is it worth pulling the thermostat and inspect? Maybe just buy a new one? Where should I buy one?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 am 
Hornet Lord

Mine also seemed to run cool. I replaced the thermostat and it made no difference.

I tested both the old and new ones in boiling water and the new one opened smoother and further when dunked in freshly boiled water.

I then tested the gauge (and thus the sender) by letting the bike idle until the fan came on. Sure enough the gauge when up towards the top and then when the fan cut in it brought it back down.

After that I just accepted that the normal position is about 1/4 on the gauge.

Mine was a 1999 600 btw.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:21 am 
Hornet Warrior

Oh okay, I have a digital speedo so i can see exact coolant temperature. I'll try boiling the thermostat first

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:01 pm 
Hornet Lord

yea, mine takes ages but I've got used to when to start backing the choke off. Keeping it on and backing it off as slow as possible helps get it up to temp quicker.

But yea, it does run about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up. No idea how much the actual temp is though.

Funnily enough, there was this one rainy day where I got on the motorway about a mile into the ride (motorway riding brings the temp up quickly) with the choke fully on and it just would not warm up.

The rain was so heavy that even riding at 80mph with the choke on wouldnt warm it up, tried choke off as well.

Eventually pulled onto the hard shoulder under a bridge and let the bike idle until it warmed up. About 30 seconds after setting off, the gauge had dropped back down to the minimum again.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:52 pm 
Hornet Warrior

Lol. Mine does reach operating temperature which is around 85°C in 20°C. My only concern is that it takes too long. I'm therefore considering buying a new thermostat as a preventative measure. Its £39 though. What would you guys do?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:29 am 
Hornet Lord

Check on wemoto, theres a kawasaki thermostat thats the same. Find that part number and then search that. I found that to be cheaper.

Board index » Hornet 600/599 » General chat